SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#91126 - 08/05/02 09:20 PM PSR 2000 Version question
MagicUser Offline

Loc: New York, USA
I have now in my spare time (like that really exists anywhere) played around with my new PSR2000. It came on Friday (it is now Monday) and between helping 2 of my neighbors build houses as well as building mine I played with some of the features and like everything I have tried. Sounds are great and it seems to do everything I tried so far. I checked the version and it is 1.03. Should I expect any problems with this version, have an upgrade or just enjoy the keyboard? Worrying is just one of my many hobbies

Thanks,
- Brian

#91127 - 08/05/02 09:55 PM Re: PSR 2000 Version question
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Bryan,
I understand your concern but please, do not worry. It's been my experience and my customers that whatever was changed in the latest release, it is not significant and only minor implementations for things I don't even know what they corrected. If, in any time during the next 2 years, anything new which really would make a difference comes out in a newer release, like maybe 2.0, you can get yours upgraded at no charge to you from any service center that works on Yamaha keyboards. I stress..............don't worry about the operating system, just enjoy your psr2000.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#91128 - 08/05/02 10:25 PM Re: PSR 2000 Version question
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
MagicUser,

Is it the 'Main Boot' category on your PSR2000 that reads 1.03? What's the version number of the 'Main Program'?

My PSR2000 OS version reads:
Main Boot: 1.03
Main Proram 1.00
All others (BMP,Style,etc): 1.00

Main Program version 1.10 and higher adds the ability (via Registration Memory) of storing 'fingering mode' as well as the 'left voice' independently in Registration Memory content's: 'voice' section. I'd assume that since your KB is new, that the Main Program version should be at least 1.10 or greater. Even though I have the earlier Main Program 1.00 version, for me (personally), I prefer it, but that's ANOTHER story.

MagicUser: Irregardless of WHICH version you have, because the PSR2000's OS is NOT flash ROM-able, it will not be easily possible or even recommended to update the OS chip, unless you ship it to Yamaha and have THEM do it. Unfortunately though, the ROM chip was soldered into the board in a fashion not designed to be replaced. Unsoldering the existing chip is known to have a very HIGH incidence of failure rate so I wouldn't even risk sending it to Yamaha to do this. MagicUser, I'm sure no matter which version you actually have, you should find it suitable. Now go have fun & enjoy your new keyboard.

Scott

#91129 - 08/06/02 09:49 AM Re: PSR 2000 Version question
Midnite Rider Offline

Loc: Whittier, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Unfortunately though, the ROM chip was soldered into the board in a fashion not designed to be replaced. Unsoldering the existing chip is known to have a very HIGH incidence of failure rate so I wouldn't even risk sending it to Yamaha to do this.
[/B]

Scott,
Don't get people worked up with misinformation. There's no chip designed not to be replaced. Some are more difficult than others, but if Yamaha screwed up the replacement they wouldn't charge you for the repair.

Midnite

#91130 - 08/06/02 10:57 AM Re: PSR 2000 Version question
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Midnite Rider:
Don't get people worked up with misinformation. There's no chip designed not to be replaced. Some are more difficult than others, but if Yamaha screwed up the replacement they wouldn't charge you for the repair.

Just WHERE was I was giving out mis-information? I was only pointing out the increased risks and hassles of soldered in type of ROM chip replacement, and recommending that, if you want it done, that you send it directly to Yamaha.

I then followed up with only my 'personal' opinion, that I myself wouldn't send it back (to Yamaha) for this. Ok, so Yamaha won't charge us for the chip replacement, but are the potential weeks + delays (shipping, repair, possible even re-repair because of soldered chip replacement failure rates, return shipping, etc) worth the benefits of the current ROM chip upgrade? Only you can make that decision.
For myself, as a gigging musician who can't afford to be without my KB for very long: NO! In fact, I'm still happyily performing with the PSR2000 with the older ROM chip, and my audiences are happy as well.

I still think Yamaha should have fullfilled it's original PSR2000 commitment to supporting Flash ROM, but that's 'another' story !

#91131 - 08/06/02 11:39 AM Re: PSR 2000 Version question
Zack Offline

all you wise ones take some information for granted. how do you check the version number? and whats the most recent one? thanks. Z

#91132 - 08/06/02 12:06 PM Re: PSR 2000 Version question
Scottyee Offline

Hold down the notes C#-F-G# as a chord (one octave above the lowest C# on the KB) while turning on the keyboard. Then press the START button. This should bring up a screen which displays the Main Boot, Main Program, and other parameters.

Zack (and others): Please let us know what version your PSR2000 displays.

Scott

#91133 - 08/06/02 12:36 PM Re: PSR 2000 Version question
Zack Offline

you mean a Db? thats the same chord that brings up the tests. and mine just runs throught the tests until it says please insert a 4hdd disk. wot? thanks. Z

#91134 - 08/06/02 02:22 PM Re: PSR 2000 Version question
Scottyee Offline

Yes, enharmonic equivilents: Db-F-Ab is fine too.

After pressing/holding the above notes as a chord (while starting up your KB), the word 'test' should appear on the LCD screen. Now release the chord and press the KB's 'start/stop' button. This should then bring up the screen that displays the 'main boot','main program' versions.

#91135 - 08/06/02 07:17 PM Re: PSR 2000 Version question
MagicUser Offline

Loc: New York, USA
Thanks you for your replys. Mine is the same as Scottyee's. I am pleased with it so far and still have thousands of options to go through before I would need to change anything. It seems that if something on it doesn't work "right" one way there is another way around it. By pressing 2 buttons instead of one. Not a problem for me. I like to press buttons.

Thanks George. Your support has been wonderful. I will take your advice and not worry.

I do have another question. Sometimes depending on what sound I pick the sound continues on and on for more than a minute before it will eventually fade out. Whistles in the drum section have done this. At first I noticed that the foot pedal needed to be reverse in the setting so that when you press on it it will sustain. That is fixed but some sounds have kept going anyway. Anyone ever have this happen?

Thanks again.
- Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online