SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#91021 - 08/11/03 06:11 PM How to embed vocals in midi ?
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Has anyone here ever embedded Vocal Harmonies in Midi files?..... Do you know of any site that might be helpfull?
As always Thanks

RonP

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#91022 - 08/11/03 09:23 PM Re: How to embed vocals in midi ?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
No Phil but there is always the option of using Scat Voices, and various Choir voices on a Keyboard in a Midi file. If you have an existing Midi file that you want to put Vocal Harmonies in, just load the midi into the Keyboard, go to the Mixing Console and under 'Track[s]' 1-16 just replace an existing Voice such as a Brass Section Voice or String Section with a Scat Voice or Choir Voice from the Keyboard. You will have to experiment with different Scat Voices/Choir Voices to see what "fits" and on what 'Channel' is the best Channel for a given Voice[s].

I am not aware of any program or innovation for embedding "Audio" Harmonies within a Midi file.

Another option is to play the Midi file on the Keyboard and run it out of the Main Outputs of your Keyboard and run the signal into your Computer's Sound Card. Use a Multi-Track recording software to record the Midi song and either sing along with the Midi song as it plays and records- (using the Multi-Track software) and by using a Mic and the Mic input of the Keyboard) and the Keyboards Vocal Harmony function "if it has one". The recording is recorded as a .Wav then you need to change it to an MP3. Thereby giving you an 'Audio' file with your Vocal's and Vocal Harmonies but of course it is now an MP3 and NOT a Midi. If you need it done completely in the Midi format then the only option that I know of is to use the Scat Voices or Choir Voices in an existing or New Midi file and edit and or save the file to include the Scat Voices or Choir Voices in the finished result.

Best regards,
Mike

PS: Maybe I'm way off track here as to what you really want to do. I guess I will need some clarification as to what you really mean when you say: "embed Vocal Harmonies into a Midi file"????

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 08-11-2003).]

#91023 - 08/12/03 08:23 AM Re: How to embed vocals in midi ?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Are you wanting to trigger a vocal harmonizer from the midi?
If so, you can record a track with the proper chord changes or notes and leave the volume at zero. Then set your harmonizer to monitor that track. Or you can merely set the harmonizer to read a track that already has the proper chords in it.
Most harmonizers can read either chords or notes. For precise harmonies use the note mode and record each harmony note on an otherwise-unused track. Again, set the volume of the track to zero, and set the harmonizer to that track.
I haven't done it, because it's more time than I want to spend, but it should work.
DonM

#91024 - 08/13/03 05:50 PM Re: How to embed vocals in midi ?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Hopefully along the same lines, I would like to add vocals to midi using something like Cakewalk or Sonar. If I do so I imagine that the midi would then have to be saved as a .wav file or something. Is there a way to route the midi signal as usual and then route the vocals thru the line out on my laptop?

#91025 - 08/13/03 06:01 PM Re: How to embed vocals in midi ?
Dnj Offline

You can do this with an Ketron SD-1. get in touch with AJ and he can explain further..or maybe Dan O can help also. I have listened to vocals in a Midi Song played back on the SD-1 that AJ created when I visited Dan's store in MD...very kool!

#91026 - 08/13/03 07:53 PM Re: How to embed vocals in midi ?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
You can do this with an Ketron SD-1

That would be a wave file synced to the midi. Not sure if that's what Phil meant when he said "embedded", but never-the-less, I believe it's the only way, same as with a software seq.

#91027 - 08/13/03 08:03 PM Re: How to embed vocals in midi ?
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
Depending on what kind of gear you have, will depend on how this is achived. If you have a sample player instrument, simply use samples and trigger them via midi. If you don't you are going to have to sync with time code on a (.wav) file and trigger the midi file with click track.

#91028 - 08/14/03 10:06 AM Re: How to embed vocals in midi ?
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Check out the Integrated Sampling Sequencer on the Motif at www.yamaha.com . You can't take a ISS file from the motif and play on you Triton etc. but it will do what your asking. I think the questions no one has asked yet are:
Why do you want to do this?
What's your application?
What gear are you planning to do it with?
What compatibility do you need with the finished song?

Regards,

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America

#91029 - 08/14/03 10:43 AM Re: How to embed vocals in midi ?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
You can do this with an Ketron SD-1. get in touch with AJ and he can explain further..or maybe Dan O can help also. I have listened to vocals in a Midi Song played back on the SD-1 that AJ created when I visited Dan's store in MD...very kool!

I'll tell ya how the SD1 can sync .....

Ketron has a 6 gig hard drive and the hard drive is divided into master folders . One of the master folders stores .wav files .
When you name the .wav file the same name as the midi sequence , the 2 can merge together . It's not the easiest thing , but very,very possible . The wav file will also transpose and adjust to tempo, all in real time .

Dano / Former Sd1 demonstrator

#91030 - 08/14/03 11:32 AM Re: How to embed vocals in midi ?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hello cassp,

Here's a sample of a midi file that has a .wav file embedded into it. Instructions for inserting a .wav file can be found in the Calkwalk Help section.

It's rather large for dial-up users....Sorry. Almost 2 megs and it's only 5 seconds of sound.

http://genny.lib.umn.edu/sample.bun

The extension on the file is .bun which stands for bundle or Calkwalk bundle in this case (midi bundled with audio). I suspect that only Calkwalk or Sonar can open this file but don't quote me on that. If you do have Calkwalk and you do open it you should see something like this:

Tracks 1-9 are midi data, track 11 is a stereo wav file embedded.

This snippet comes from a demo song on the Edirol SD-90 CD.

mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online