SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#90777 - 07/24/03 12:49 PM Re: pa1x Pro options
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Yamaha's dynamic allocation scheme doesn't appear to be as good as Roland or Korgs. I own a Roland XV5080 and Korg Triton Pro and neither of them have issues with dropouts when I play lots of notes with sustain. On the other hand I had an expanded Yamaha 9000 Pro which had over 136 notes of polyphony and I had note dropouts all the time.

The issue with Yamaha is that they often stack 3 or 4 parts to make up a single sound. Many of the sounds on the Yamaha arrangers utilize so many parts that your polyphony is practically nil. If you remove the stacked sounds the keyboard sounds become so thin that there isn't much you can do to still have a great sound and decent polyphony.

Until Yamaha makes an arranger with 256 note polyphony or more, chances are you are going to have drop out issues if you use lots of sustain or do elaborate sequences. I'd actually feel more comfortable using a PA1X Pro with 62 notes of polyphony over a Tyros with 128 notes of polyphony. Of course YMMV greatly.

#90778 - 07/24/03 12:54 PM Re: pa1x Pro options
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by Clif Anderson:
Is it true that no Korg products exceed 62-voice polyphony? I thought my Karma with MOSS installed had 68-voice polyphony. That would be true for Tritons as well. I believe the MOSS board is like a Yamaha plug-in, having its own 6-voice polyphony.

But I feel Korg has become trapped by the Triton's success. It seems Korg won't let itself exceed Triton specifications--62-voice polyphony, 32MB ROM, 16MB ROM expansions. In the meantime, Yamaha has reached 175MB ROM and 128 voice polyphony (expandable) and Roland has introduced 64MB expansion cards and Emu has 32MB expansion cards.

The MOSS board does add polyphony as well as expanded synthesis features. 6 additional notes of polyphony to be exact. The other Korg sound expansion boards do not add additional polyphony only new sounds.

The new Triton Pro does have more than 62 notes of polyphony, its in the 120 range, but varies dependent upon the effects used.

#90779 - 07/24/03 01:15 PM Re: pa1x Pro options
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
My understanding of polyphony is that it is based on cpu power. The faster the chip the more polyphony it can handle. Does this mean Korg is scrimping on chips. Are cpu chips THAT expensive?
Starkeeper

#90780 - 07/24/03 04:37 PM Re: pa1x Pro options
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
My understanding of polyphony is that it is based on cpu power. The faster the chip the more polyphony it can handle. Does this mean Korg is scrimping on chips. Are cpu chips THAT expensive?
Starkeeper

Do any PA80 customers have polyphony issues ?

I have digital pictures of this keyboard . I took close up shots of the buttons /panel . I can not get them posted .

Can someone help me ?

#90781 - 07/24/03 04:59 PM Re: pa1x Pro options
Shakil Offline

Triton Studio has 124 notes polyphony.
62 for Rom
62 for expansion boards

#90782 - 07/24/03 05:47 PM Re: pa1x Pro options
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
Dano, you have to upload pictures to a web site, then follow these instructions.

"You can easily add a picture to a post when the image is either uploaded or already located on another website.

1) Right-mouse click the image and select 'properties'. This should display the http (URL) address.

2) Copy/paste the 'ENTIRE' http address into the Synthzone posting 'message' box and precede it with the UBB code: "[img]", and at the end of the address, add "[/img]".

To add a graphic within your message, just encase the URL of the graphic image as shown in the following example (UBB Code is in red).

In the example above, the UBB Code automatically makes the graphic visible in your message. Note: the "http://" part of the URL is REQUIRED for the [img] code. Also note: some UBB forums may disable the [img] tag support to prevent objectionable images from being viewed".

I hope this helps.
Denny

#90783 - 07/24/03 05:49 PM Re: pa1x Pro options
S0C9 Offline

Loc: NRH, TX, USA
I've had my Pa80 for about 18 months and have never noticed drop-out due to polyphony - at least not that I was aware of or obvious !!

Regards,
Steve

#90784 - 07/24/03 09:54 PM Re: pa1x Pro options
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex K:
this is not an issue for people who are doing mostly vocal acts, but then they probably would not plunk $3500 for a PA1Pro. Isn't that right, Uncle Dave?

WRONG ! As a player that depends on these tools for my bread and butter - I want the best fit that is available to me ! I want all the toys. I want all the tricks. i want all the advances, and even though money is ALWAYS an issue ...... it will not stop me from getting a tool that I can use to my advantage on stage.

#90785 - 07/25/03 08:49 AM Re: pa1x Pro options
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
BTW - the PA80 handles allocation quite well, and I am a sustain pedal HOG. You have to be careful of how many instruments are being used in the arranger section mostly. They tend to be overloaded, and can be thinned out without much loss to the arrangement.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online