SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#171466 - 07/15/03 07:16 AM Roland PK-5 with PSR2000?
dben Offline

Loc: Okanagan Falls, BC Canada
I just bought a new PSR 2000 and I want to use the PK5 to trigger chords on the PSR2000. Does anyone know the settings on the PSR2000 to make the PK5 work. I was shown in a music store once but due to old age, I can't remember! There must also be a way of sending other midi date to the keyboard to make it do other things like changing styles, effects, starting and stopping, etc
Don

------------------
dben

#171467 - 07/15/03 07:24 AM Re: Roland PK-5 with PSR2000?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto

#171468 - 07/15/03 07:33 AM Re: Roland PK-5 with PSR2000?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Don,
You're gonna need two feet to get minor or otherwise embellelished chords, you know.
(I bet you knew that)

#171469 - 07/15/03 08:21 AM Re: Roland PK-5 with PSR2000?
dben Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Don,
You're gonna need two feet to get minor or otherwise embellelished chords, you know.
(I bet you knew that)

Yes, I knew that. I looked at the link and I already had that info. It was demoed to me in a music store but I dare not go back as I bought from George. Hope that he has the answer.

------------------
dben

#171470 - 07/15/03 10:09 AM Re: Roland PK-5 with PSR2000?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Don and anyone else interested. I just spoke to Dave Lindsay at Yamaha tech support(he also used to work for Roland Tech support so he knows the PK5 really well and the Yamaha 2000) and he told me exactly what to do to get the PK5 to work.
First, on the PSR2000, hit function button, then hit then go to the midi section(touch button "H"), go to Edit (upper arrow button 8), then use the next button to go to receive, then use the data wheel to change from what is currently set on the word "song" and change it to "keyboard". If you do this then you will have to set the PK5 to midi channel 1 because I think it defaults to midi channel 4. Dave said you could change channel 4 on the PSR2000 to read "keyboard" if you want and you will get the same results.
Next, to lock channel one as the new default on the PK5 do the following:
First, Hit the Poly Button (This allows you to play multiple notes to trigger your major, minor, etc. chords)
Second, Hit the Midi Channel Button
Third, Hit the #1 Button (this selects Midi Channel 1)
Fourth, Hit the B Pedal button (all lights will flash and this saves the midi channel to 1
That's it and if I've missed anything here, call David Lindsay at 1-714-9000 and ask for David Lindsay.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#171471 - 07/15/03 11:04 AM Re: Roland PK-5 with PSR2000?
dben Offline

Thanks George. I will work on it as soon as I get delivery.
Don

------------------
dben

#171472 - 07/15/03 11:55 AM Re: Roland PK-5 with PSR2000?
dben Offline

George and anyone else using the PK-5....I just read in the manual that the default channel on poly mode is channel 1, so no need to reset the channel.
Don

------------------
dben

#171473 - 07/17/03 09:29 PM Re: Roland PK-5 with PSR2000?
dben Offline

Got the PSR 2000 today and have been fooling around with it for a few hours. It is a great keyboard. Thanks George Kaye.
Also the Roland PK5 works great on the default channel one. Now have to read the manual before going to sleep tonight and figure out how to program the foot swith to start and stop the auto accompaniement. I think that there is a way of stopping and starting the PSR with the PK-5 also. I was able to do it on the E-36 keyboard.

------------------
Don Benoit
http://steelguitar.ca

#171474 - 07/19/03 03:05 PM Re: Roland PK-5 with PSR2000?
dben Offline

Further:
After the PSR-2000 midi pedal one is set to "Keyboard" on channel one, the PK-5 works to change chords but the keyboard pass part does not change anymore. A factory setup reset must be performed to get the keyboard to work correctly as before. HOWEVER; if the PSR 2000 MIDI pedal 2 is set to "Keyboard" on channel one, both the PK-5 and the PSR 2000 work correctly to change chords. Strange!

------------------
Don Benoit
http://steelguitar.ca

#171475 - 07/20/03 01:42 AM Re: Roland PK-5 with PSR2000?
Jos Maas Offline

Loc: Hantum, The Netherlands
Don, what you're trying to do wont work. You need at least be able to play minor and major chords. To play a minor chord you must place both feet on and beside the pedal of the root note. That means you will have to move both feet at a chord change. How are you going to play keyboard with both feet in the air? You need at least one foot on the ground for stability.

In One Man Band you can assign one of the bass pedals or the sustain pedal to a major/minor trigger. You can assign the minor trigger to the high C and play chords with your left foot or use the low C as minor trigger and play chords with your right foot. You must press the minor-key-pedal before you press the chord that is intended to be a minor chord.

Using the bass pedals for variation triggers is also possible with OMB.

I think it is best that you download the most recent update at http://www.angelfire.com/music5/onemanband This update has an extra window in the user interface window (menu settings/userinterface) where you can view the exact code of the MIDI
signals coming from your bass pedals. You need this to define the key range for chords and the key of the minor/major trigger.

Jos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online