SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#90703 - 10/16/05 08:43 AM Ok Got me a DGX
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
After demoing every thinkable keyboard, I finally decided on getting the DGX-305. Features and ease of use, and number of keys helped me make the decision. It sounds great! But I have a little problem. How do I transfer styles to it from my computer?

Whenever I try to transfer a style with the Musicsoft Downloader, it says "This file is not supported". It is a standard STY file. And it works in One Man Band, and LiveStyler. Transfering MIDI files work.
Do I need to convert the style files to a certain format? I thought Yamaha had a universial style format.

Doc-Z

#90704 - 10/16/05 03:56 PM Re: Ok Got me a DGX
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Doc,
you need a smart media memory card for the styles. Songs transfer directly, but styles are saved & loaded from a memory card. It should tell you the exact card you require.
I bought mine off ebay, just make sure you get the correct type. Don't go for the largest size, I have a feeling you can only load a certain amount of files on a card.

.sty files do work, but you'll only get 2 variations, fills and I'm not sure but you may get 2 intro's & endings. It's been a while since I used mine, I mainly use my Clavinova with OMB.
You'll be able to use OMB to do any editing required for the styles ie you could pick which variations you want instead of being stuck with default variation 1 & 2, same goes for intro's & ending.
Actually OMB pretty much gives you all the editing features available in the more expensive psr's including midi to style
( which psr's can't do).
Your other alternative is to use the dgx as controller & soundsource for omb ( if you're connected to your computer).

best wishes
Rikki

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 10-16-2005).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#90705 - 10/17/05 01:18 AM Re: Ok Got me a DGX
doc-z Offline

I managed to get it going. I changed it to "Smart media" in the settings. Then it worked. But I was only able to load one style at a time. Is this correct? Shouldn't I be able to select the styles from the card in the same way that you do the regular styles? Or am I stuck with having to load the style everytime I need a new one? Any work arounds?

Doc-Z

#90706 - 10/17/05 01:55 AM Re: Ok Got me a DGX
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Doc,
unfortunately as far as I'm aware it's load one style at a time, I'm pretty certain that you can't play the style via the card, though I must admit I haven't used it for a while.
Most of the time I had mine midied to a laptop and used OMB to play the styles. Works quite well if having it midied up is an option for you?

I'm not a performer, so loading single styles was never a hassle for me.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#90707 - 10/17/05 02:53 AM Re: Ok Got me a DGX
doc-z Offline

Yupp suppose I could midi it up.

doc-z

#90708 - 10/17/05 03:15 PM Re: Ok Got me a DGX
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Doc,
I'm still fairly certain that styles have to be loaded one at a time, but I have a feeling songs can be played via the card.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rikkisbears:
[B]Hi Doc,
unfortunately as far as I'm aware it's load one style at a time, I'm pretty certain that you can't play the style via the card,

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online