SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#90432 - 05/07/02 08:30 AM Re: My PSR2000 finally breaks down!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... yes, I'm confused ..... we have pro musicians making a living, or substantially adding to their living by playing music, talking about the 'tools of their trade' as being too expensive at a price that might be equal to 2 - 3 weeks worth of gigs .... doesn't it stand to reason that if Yamaha, or any other manufacturer puts a lot of good sounds, styles, features, etc. into a box that sells for around $1M, SOMETHING is not going to be great?!? .... sounds like in the case of the 2000, it is the quality of the box itself .... perhaps it just wasn't intended to stand up to the rigors of nightly gigs ... any mechanic realizes he has to spend good money for his tools if he is going to be 'worry free' on the job ... I can remember 40 years ago paying $800 for an accordion .... a number of years later paying about $2500 for a Cordovox .... should we now not expect to pay $2000 or better for a 'pro' instrument that provides what kb's provide us with today?!? ... I admit, I'm not a Yamaha player, and I don't know how the 2000 is represented when sold, but considering what I've heard, I don't know if I would have expected a $1000 kb with all its features to be up to the rigors of daily or weekly gigs....
t.

#90433 - 05/07/02 08:39 AM Re: My PSR2000 finally breaks down!
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Larry,
Sorry to hear about your Y2K, I know the feeling about every thing "conking-out", it seems just when they`r working there best, they "break" anyway its good that you have a back-up. Best of luck and I hope "Yamaha" gets the message- "We Need Quality" even if its a $1000 board, it should not break in just 6 months
jedi

[This message has been edited by jedi (edited 05-07-2002).]

#90434 - 05/07/02 08:57 AM Re: My PSR2000 finally breaks down!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
The primary attraction (as a gigging musician) I had to the PSR2000 (in addition to it's great sounds) was for it's ultra light weight portability (24 lbs), not its' price (though I'll be first to admit that it was a nice perk that put a big smile on my face). Still, I would gladly have paid more to have the insurance that it wasn't flimsyly built. I think the message that we 'one man band' gigging musicians need to send to arranger keyboard manufacters now, is that we require an arranger keyboard that's BOTH lightweight (under 24lbs) and road worthy & rugged too ! - Scott

#90435 - 05/07/02 09:32 AM Re: My PSR2000 finally breaks down!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I always change keyboards at least once a year anyway. So far the 2K is into its seventh month and no problems (except for the well-documented OS fiasco).
It still looks and plays like new. I'm used to spending $2000 or more a year on a keyboard (less what I sell the old one for). I'm not at all disappointed in the value-for-money aspect of the 2K, and, under normal circumstances, would be very happy considering the sound, features, weight, cost and other factors. If this one started giving me problems I would (again under normal circumstances) just buy another one.
But, I won't, because I have not forgiven Yamaha for lying to us about the OS. Maybe it's silly, but I will definitely switch brands out of protest.
I will either sell the 2000, or sell the 8000 and keep the 2000 for backup. But first I have to decide what to buy, and there is no hurry.
My choices are limited because of parameters I've set as to what is right for me. It must have a great mic processor/vocal harmonizer. It can't be TOO heavy. Of course it must have great sounds and styles.
I'm not like Uncle Dave. I don't play left-hand bass well enough to get by with just that (and don't have any inclination to). And I don't want to use many sequences. I need the "band" to follow me and be waiting for any curve I throw at it. The 2K does this just fine. But I want something else that will do it better, and a company that will listen to us. All arrows point to Ketron. Korg is awfully close too.
But, as usual, I've gotten away from the thread. It seems to me that it's not too unusual to see a few problems, as Uncle Dave and Larry are having. For example, the joy stick spring on my Roland G800 broke after 3 weeks. The buttons became sluggish and hard to push after 3 months. Yet Fran has played the G1000 for years now, with no apparent problems. I am quite gentle with my keyboards. Not saying others aren't but these are extreme conditions under which we use them. Maybe it's too early to panic on the 2k. Scott Yee, Eddie and I probably play ours as much as anyone and they seem to be holding up as well as can be expected.
DonM

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online