SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#90422 - 05/06/02 07:03 PM My PSR2000 finally breaks down!
Beakybird Offline

After six months of heavy use, my PSR2000 finally broke down. The section C button of the Style Control section is no longer operative except with a very heavy push. Luckily, I own two PSR2000s. Also, my semi-local repair center is allowing me to be in queue without bringing in the keyboard. This way, I can keep the defective keyboard in my studio for practice and I can have it in case of emergency.

Just wanted you to know!
I'll keep you posted if this becomes an intolerable experience.
Larry

#90423 - 05/06/02 07:15 PM Re: My PSR2000 finally breaks down!
Dnj Offline

Sorry to hear that. I guess Uncle Dave was right about the 2k especially for us pros gigging nightly. But I must say Im not surprised. Hope it all remedies itself for ya. Good thing you got a 2nd unit. I know the feeling thats why I have two 9k's.

good luck

donny

#90424 - 05/06/02 07:35 PM Re: My PSR2000 finally breaks down!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Im not at all shocked your PSR-2000 has broken down. Again this falls back on Yamaha not intending for the keyboard to be in the professional market (even though it has the features..) Yamaha really cheesed out 2000 owners.. Any keyboard that cost over $1,000 pro level or mid level should at least have solid construction. I don't understand how Yamaha can put so many features in the 2000 and give it crappy construction and sell it for over a grand... Sad, Sad, Sad, Sad..... When are they going to wake up and realize that so many people use the mid-range keyboards for professional use???? I can name a few professional synths that are cheaper than the 2000 and have way better construction...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#90425 - 05/06/02 08:16 PM Re: My PSR2000 finally breaks down!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Larry: OMG! I'm really SORRY to hear this, but not that surprised either (especially after hearing about UD's recent similar experience). I'm beginning to feel like I'm treading in dangerous waters now. Thankfully, I have a friend who also owns a PSR2000 (home use only) and agreed to lend it to me (on a moments notice) if mine breaks down, but my BIGGEST fear is if the KB breaks down suddenly 'on an important gig! I'm now trying to figure out what to do now. So far, the upcoming Ketron XD9 (arriving in the US in June?) sounds like a strong consideration now. Does anyone here have any updated news regarding the XD9's release? Where can I get more details on the XD9's features compared to the SD1?

Squeek, please tell me what arranger type professional synth I could get that is cheaper than the PSR2000 ($1,000 street price). Thanks.

- Scott

#90426 - 05/06/02 08:34 PM Re: My PSR2000 finally breaks down!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Scott here's a few example of decent synths which sell for less than the PSR-2000..

Korg N364, this thing has 16 track seq, TRUE synth engine, initial and aftertouch, decent sound (even though it's older), synth action keys, it's built like a tank, can handle day to day performance, ect

Yamaha EX-7: Many stores that still have these on their shelves are selling them for like $800.00!!!! This keyboard has 64 voice, initial and aftertouch, synth action keys, (3) sequencers, expandable sampler, 1 bitchbend and 2 modulations wheels, ribbon controller, SCSI can be added, breath controller capabilites, AWSOME sound, nice big screen with adjustable contrast, built like a tank, killer voice editing, awsome effects, and much more...

Also take a look at the Triton Le. This keyboard is like only 200 bucks more than the PSR-2000 and look at what that thing can do...

I personally think the PSR-2000 is a great keyboard. I think the "features" are justified by the price, but the quality of construction for a keyboard of that price is way to flimsy... Even though the Korg N series and Yamaha EX series are older models, they blow away the PSR-2000 in terms of sequencing, voice editing, and overall construction. If Yamaha releases a PSR-2000 and calls it the PSR-2000 "second edition" and make the construction better that keyboard will be awsome...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#90427 - 05/07/02 12:24 AM Re: My PSR2000 finally breaks down!
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Scott. Regarding arranger boards, I mentioned in my Festival report that the new KORG PA60 was about the same price as the PSR2000 and possibly of better construction.

Graham UK

#90428 - 05/07/02 03:40 AM Re: My PSR2000 finally breaks down!
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
The only way to mass produce all the buttons in a complex layout (such as the 2000) at reasonable cost is by using "TV remote" button techniques. You can get "remote control keypad repair kits" using a special conductive "gunge" which claim to be tested to huge numbers of keypresses (how?) so they may help on out-of-warranty items but I have no experience of their usage.

Anyway, whilst I concur with the opinion that the failure is regrettable and should not happen on professional kit, we must try to remember that the 2k is a lot of gear for the money and therefore something has to give. Regrettably this is construction quality. The modern keyboard/synth is after all a computer with a custom user interface. Computer chips are cheap, custom interfaces are not.

#90429 - 05/07/02 03:55 AM Re: My PSR2000 finally breaks down!
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
My first comments about the 2000 were the very cheap cabinet, key and button construction. I use mine at home and I do not bang on the keys or the buttons. I have learned from being a computer geek that most computer components need a sensitive touch.

Having said that, the keyboard under pro use should not break within 6 months. Its supposed to be built to play as an arranger keyboard with all the inflection on those keys and buttons as you need. While I do not play it like a piano it doesn't change the fact that most do.

If it was not meant to be played by an experienced user, then there should be warning signs in the manual and a sticker on the keyboard. There are none, but it should say:

***WARNING KEYS AND BUTTONS SUBJECT TO BREAKAGE UNDER NORMAL USE***

-Linda

#90430 - 05/07/02 04:38 AM Re: My PSR2000 finally breaks down!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Goldie Hawn said this in the movie "Protocal" :

"If someone sells you a diamond for ten cents - chances are, you just bought a diamond that's not worth a dime !"

We were all kidding ourselves because we wanted to believe that this unit could handle a moderate schedule of use. I fear we were wrong.
Great features - yes
Great sound - yes
Great value ...... hmmmmm, that's a tough one

The fact is - it's built like a toy. It's not a "light" action - it's a FLIMSY action.
I'm sure it could have been made stronger without adding THAT much to the overall weight. I'm also sure that weight was NOT a major consideration in this keyboard - they never intended it to leave the house.

In perspective - it's a very, very full featured TOY, but it's not going to make the switch to "road gear" - even in moderate use. It is simply NOT built to handle a nominal ammount of regular keyboard playing techniques. I believe that it was designed to sit on your dining room table, and please the folks with one finger melodies and simple chords.

I sure hope they address this situation very soon, because this solo market is booming, and so far - NO one is taking our needs seriously. All the higher end stuff is STILL aimed at band players that use outboard systems, or soloists that play real loud.

What about the guys that play hundreds of smaller venues, and simply can't justify bringing in a separate system when it is inapropriate? I can't tell you how many times, even a small amp and a mixer would be an eyesore in a situation. These portable keyboards have given us the ability to play parties that would otherwise have to be done on a piano. It broadens our appeal, and widens our audience, but at the same time - the look, and the simplicity of a "piano/player - piano/bar" is what the client has in mind. Lot's of my affairs are played with acoustic grand pianos, and I put my board on top for rhythm and bass. It adds SO much to the alternative, and still maintains the neat, tidy look of a beautiful piece of furniture, WITHOUT a mess of tangles wires, milk crates stacked up, or ugly poles sticking up into someone's living room. Some of my regular clients have homes that cost more than some of the clubs I play in, and an unsightly, road-worn sound system would certainly loose the effect of a classy musician in a nice suit or a tux - sitting in the corner of an elegant party room...... trying to entertain a crowd without giving anyone an earache!

#90431 - 05/07/02 07:26 AM Re: My PSR2000 finally breaks down!
Beakybird Offline

It's funny. I'm not so upset about this, I kind of expected it as my ex-PSR 740 lasted about six months before I needed repair. I bought a second one and waited as the first one got repaired.

I owned a Solton X1 for a little while - a very sturdy looking keyboard - and that broke down under home use!

Everything breaks. That's a fact. My PSR2000 stopped performing well after over 250 gigs. During two gigs yesterday, I noticed that I had to press the section C button harder and harder to activate it. Funny, now that it's home and I switched it with my other keyboard, it seems to work again. But I'll still get it repaired.

Cars break. Fortunately, there is not a three week turnaround on a car. There usually is on professional music gear.

A serious pro would keep an extra keyboard in his car. A not so serious pro like myself keeps an extra keyboard at home. I risk the shame and embarrassment if my keyboard totally breaks down at an important gig. I have space for an extra everything in my car, but not for an extra keyboard.

Thankfully, the music Gods spared me this embarrassment, and my gigs went off without a hitch.

In the meantime, I have a slightly faulty PSR2000 in my studio to practice on while it's in queue at the repair center. The other PSR2000 remains faithfully in the trunk of my car. Not such a bad situation.

I would still rather own two PSR2000s than one of any other arranger keyboard. No matter how sturdy that keyboard is, if it does break, I'm dead meat without another one.

Larry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online