SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#90219 - 03/19/05 08:17 AM OT: Windows XP logon: How can I Bypass that annoying "select user' window?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Was going to ask this question at the bar, but suspected people there may be a little too soused to give the correct answer:

A few weeks ago I installed several new software programs (forgot which ones now) of which (one of those installations) somehow inadvertantly changed my Windows XP logon (bootup) settings. Previously, whenever I logged on to my PC, the OS would always automatically boot right up to the desktop without the annoying windows xp pop-up window coming up requiring you to select (sign on) from one of the user icons (administrator, guest, etc) assigned to the computer.

Luckily , I was able to restore the 'automatically boot up (as the administrator user) to the desktop' settings via:
Start > Run > typing: control userpasswords2, and then unchecking the 'users must enter a username and password to use this computer.

Unfortuntately, ONE problem still REMAINS. Whenever my computer (automatically) goes into sleep mode (after 5 minutes) and I hit 'any key' to wake my PC back up, the annoying xp 'sign on window appears, requiring me to select from one of the users (icons) assigned to the computer. Previously pressing 'any key' would simply return me right back to the desktop. How can I stop that annoying xp sign on window from coming up when 'waking up' from sleep?

Thanks in advance.

Ok, time for a drink (at the bar) !

Scott

#90220 - 03/19/05 08:20 AM Re: OT: Windows XP logon: How can I Bypass that annoying "select user' window?
Islander Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas, U.SA.
Scottyee, am not sure if this would help but try going to your screen saver and make sure the box where it says "On resume, password protected" is UNCHECKED. Apply the new setting and see if it would help. Hope this helps.

Thx
Johnny

#90221 - 03/19/05 08:46 AM Re: OT: Windows XP logon: How can I Bypass that annoying "select user' window?
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
You don't want to see any signs from XP???
You must simply uninstall XP or type in DOS mode the command 'format c:'...

Okay, first try this what Johnny said. Unsign the settings of your screen saver which handles the password control of returning to desktop.
Caution: You will loose a little bit of your OS security! But in the case of Windows this actually makes no difference...

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 03-19-2005).]

#90222 - 03/19/05 08:51 AM Re: OT: Windows XP logon: How can I Bypass that annoying "select user' window?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Islander Johnny, Bingo! Thanks for suggesting the 'ScreenSaver' word. Doing a search in Goggle for WindowsXP ScreenSaver I was able to locate how to call up the Sleep mode settings:
http://www.resourceconservation.mb.ca/wrw/wrw04/tips/computer.html

Lo and behold, there is indeed a check mark setting box to: 'on resume, display/eliminate the user selecttion 'welcome screen'.

Johnny, many thanks for taking the time out to reply and effectively help me solve this.

Sheriff, I suppose if you can manage to get thru the door/window locks & security alarm system of my house, you'll then have full rein of my PC.

I can rest ez now & get back to the music.

Scott

#90223 - 03/19/05 10:39 AM Re: OT: Windows XP logon: How can I Bypass that annoying "select user' window?
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
...I suppose if you can manage to get thru the door/window locks & security alarm system of my house, you'll then have full rein of my PC...

Oh, Scotty, electronical intruders do use neither doors nor windows - they use ports!

You're using a stand alone desktop system? I'm likewise doing it with W2k. All the other OSs are working in my private network.
I'm actually using a Linux disc routing system to secure my ports.
DO NOT TRUST THE XP's OWN FIREWALL!!! That is really recommended...

It's good to hear you keep on making music. Let me hear some tunes if it's finished, please!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online