SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#128125 - 03/16/05 05:14 AM The Subject Of SoftSynths & Arrangers
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

I would like to apologize to those who find the subject of software based arranger systems irrelevant and a waste of their time. I made the assumption that people would like to see all alternatives when it comes to the subject of arrangers (hardware or software). But there you go I should not be mind reading - I should have asked. Again sorry for intruding on your valuable time.

For those of you who like to stay on top of the software based solution you could contact me directly via Email or alternatively we could spend more time on the following internet sites:

OMB
Live - Styler
Jammer

I don't think there is enough interest to startup a separate site to cover just this subject.

I would like to thank all those who have been helpful and kind to me.

Thank you

Frank L. Rosenthal
flr@mts.net

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 03-16-2005).]

#128126 - 03/16/05 05:38 AM Re: The Subject Of SoftSynths & Arrangers
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Frank,

There is absolutely no reason for you to appologize to anyone for your input on this or any other forum. The information you provided is valuable to a number of individuals. Initially, I tried using some of the synthsofts, however, I found them too cumbersome for my applications. For others, they could be the best thing since sliced bread. Your contributions have opened an entirely new world of music for some, and I personally know of a few who have really benefitted from your expertise in this area.

Frank, IMO you have been, and hopefully will continue to be, a valuable member of this and other music forums.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#128127 - 03/16/05 05:48 AM Re: The Subject Of SoftSynths & Arrangers
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Frank,

I'm not sure why you are apologizing. You are on the cutting edge of software based arrangers. When you get everything perfect and share it with us we will all use software based arrangers. I agree with Gary that your information is valuable. Please keep up the good work.

Tom

Tom

#128128 - 03/16/05 05:51 AM Re: The Subject Of SoftSynths & Arrangers
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I agree with Gary, and I am one person that has benefitted from Frank's help and comments.

If you are not interested in "soft synth " and "soft arrangers"...simply skip over the post title...no need to dampen the interest that some of us have in the "soft" world...It could easily turn into our future needs...why not learn now from our SZ expert[Frank]..

To chase away our chief 'soft' expert would be a crime....and I will not allow it to happen....

Come on everybody..open up your minds..you could learn something,that you may just use down the road..

#128129 - 03/16/05 06:42 AM Re: The Subject Of SoftSynths & Arrangers
Tomcat Offline

Loc: Ft Collins Colorado, USA
I agree totally, Frank, you have NOTHING to apologize for. There are a lot of us who ARE interested in softsynths and like hearing what you have to say. Please don't let some narrow minded person who does NOT speak for the rest of us confuse you into not posting about software synths.

Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better

#128130 - 03/16/05 06:55 AM Re: The Subject Of SoftSynths & Arrangers
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Frank,

I agree with all the previous posts.

Over the years I have found your research on software-based systems fascinating and your results very encouraging (not to mention your dedication...).

I believe that at this time when the hardware instruments have basically stopped improving, it is the efforts of system integrators, like yourself, that will keep pressure on the hardware manufacturers to keep improving their offerings. As a result, every user benefits, whether they are using a hardware instrument or a software-based system.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I am about to give another try to a software-based system myself. I am working on a somewhat limited budget, and the last time I tried this, I got a feeling that at this time the software based systems will range from a good and moderately expensive to very good (or better) and very expensive, depending how much money you want to spend on various individual samples. Hence, my results were somewhat underwhelming. Hopefully with a better laptop, and perhaps spending a bit more money on software, I will have better results this time. Your system represents a gold standard of software-based arranger, and it is a beacon to many of us.

I, for one, always enjoy reading your posts, even when they disagree with my point of view .

Please keep those posts coming.

Best regards,
Alex

#128131 - 03/16/05 07:04 AM Re: The Subject Of SoftSynths & Arrangers
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
and i agree also,,,,a couple of years ago when you were talking about taking less of an active interest in the synthzone,i mentioned then that you were the godfather of this music site,i still believe that,,,,,,alot of people have taken your advice to heart and benefited from it,,,,,,,,all this software thats been spoken of was way over my head,but the more this is spoken about and acted on the more the rare becomes the norm,(i only wish that i could buy english magazines here in spain that deals with the new advances in music)alot of the new software has been installled into the latest boards,maybe just maybe this has influenced the major manufacturers to give more software to stop the drop off in sales,only my opinion of course,mike

#128132 - 03/16/05 07:26 AM Re: The Subject Of SoftSynths & Arrangers
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
In the "Slowdown on the forum" post, many members express their disinterest on softsynths.

While I haven't decided which way to turn, even for my non-pro use home system, I particularly like the idea of a flexible soft synth(s). Frank's advice is to the point, and show very well that he knows what he is talking about.

I don't think the other members like to "dampen" your efforts Frank, and today's indifference, might be tomorrow's true love. Your contributions are welcome here, and as I can see in the other posts here, I am not alone in that.
The decision to stay or leave will be yours, but I'm sure many here would like you to continue. I for one, would.

Theodore

#128133 - 03/16/05 07:47 AM Re: The Subject Of SoftSynths & Arrangers
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I also want to add that you have nothing to apologize for. As you know, I am also very interested in a softsynth arranger approach. There is a lot to learn, and I could learn a lot from you. I required a list of good quality voices and you outlined a list of sources. This is invaluable information. It almost sounded like you were retiring from the forum. Please don't do this.
We know that Yamaha, Ketron, and other mfg. read these posts. The interest on this forum regarding softsynths, vst, soundfonts, OMB, etc. may have prompted Yamaha to purchase Steinberg. Yamaha can see the future also.
Here is a quote from you Frank,"Alex, the economics or cost profile changes when considering that a keyboard and sampler are fixed costs to be used with many sampled acoustic or other instruments"
I will repeat myself again on this issue, I have a computer, soundcard, just purchased a good soundsystem (beter quality then in my keybaords), OMB software, keyboards can be used as controllers. I don't want to have to buy a new keyboard every time Yamaha or Roland comes out with a few new voices.
I kept debating with myself if I should ask you this question or not. The worse you can say is no. Here goes: Hey Frank can I buy a good quality flute soundfont/vst from you? I would be willing to pay you say $25.00. We can take this discussion off forum.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 03-16-2005).]

#128134 - 03/16/05 07:48 AM Re: The Subject Of SoftSynths & Arrangers
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Frank, I also hope you continue to post as I'm sure that there has never been a better opportunity than at present to "design" your own soft arranger.

I am just starting to investigate this idea and the conversations between you and the others has whetted my appetite. As I have been monitored your recent conversations it occured to me that, although I have tried, played and sold many of the popular AKs and synths since they first appeared, I have never tried anything on the software side, not even a softsynth!!

Well, I have just got NI B4 software and simply cannot believe how good it is. I use it with my laptop and a USB Audiophile 24/96 unit and just love the sound. It is not convenient to alter the drawbars via mouse or keyboard but I can investigate programmable controllers. Anyway, I can always switch between my own saved presets.

Following this I am now planning to investigate OMB/Jammer etc in the near future when time allows to see if I could get a working sytem that is robust enough for gigging with

I would very much miss your contributions to this forum. I'm sure many others agree that you should stay.

Regards - Keith F

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online