Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#90197 - 12/03/05 10:47 AM Re: My new Tyros2
ccdmax Offline

Loc: South Jersey
Just an update...
I've done it and cancelled my order for Tyros2

I came out of the closet and faced the truth... I'M A KORG GUY! ...

(you can read more about it here: http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum39/HTML/000064.html )

DanO, thank you for being my #1 dealer and if you guys need any keys, Dan's the Man
I will never do any business with anybody else. DanO you've got yourself a customer for life..

cheers,

ccdmax

------------------
Korg PA1X Pro, Karma, X5D, Yamaha PSR9000, PSR730

#90198 - 12/03/05 11:06 AM Re: My new Tyros2
zuki Offline

Hi Chas -
I have played the Tyros2 extensively at SA locally, trying to be objective and open to all it offers. But I must say that I am a fan of Roland sounds and styles and everytime I stray, I end up going back (to Roland). I don't care about the bells and whistles and where else can you get Variphrase incredible human voices. I'm super happy I just purchased a used VA76 from DanO
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#90199 - 12/03/05 12:36 PM Re: My new Tyros2
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I'm not touching this topic...besides everyone already knows what my comments would be!!!

#90200 - 12/03/05 12:56 PM Re: My new Tyros2
Dnj Offline

Fran....you forgot the smiley face?

#90201 - 12/03/05 12:59 PM Re: My new Tyros2
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
"3. I should have guessed this since I own both a Motif ES and a Korg Triton, but IN MY OPINION, the quality of the voices is inferior (and much less playable) than the Korg and in some cases even the Roland. On the playability issue, it seems to be the dynamics (voices) and responsiveness (keyboard). They ARE similar to the Motif if you happen to like that board."

In my opinion the above statement shoots down the credibility of your entire review. I have both of these boards. They are VASTLY different sounding. Neither one is better than the other, they just plain sound different and as such your personal taste really is the only criteria for selecting these boards. It's the same with the T2, I thought the G70 voices were not very good, and PAX1PRO were not very realistic. It's all personal taste and folks looking at any of these boards need to decide for themselves which type of sound is best for the music they play.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#90202 - 12/03/05 01:27 PM Re: My new Tyros2
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Hi Ccdmax,

You would be very happy with the Korg Triton Extreme 76 key to go with your Korg Pa1Xpro.

Korg is having a special deal. If you buy the Triton Extreme, you will get their Legacy Collection FREE!

The program/combis on the Triton Extreme are excellent and will blend in perfectly with the Pa1Xpro. The key feel on the Triton Extreme 76 is very good. However, it is different from the Pa1Xpro which feels stiffer and heavier in comparison. The Triton Extreme synth action is ideal for fast and effortless playing.

Tapas

#90203 - 12/03/05 02:48 PM Re: My new Tyros2
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
First of all, great to hear both sides of the coin! However I am a little mystified by your comments. You mentioned that you didnt have chance to play or see the T2 in the flesh before purchasing, but I would have thought that despite not actually playing the keyboard you would have realised that it had 5 octaves and looked as it does?
As for the sounds, well of course that's subjective but having listened to the PA1X demo CD from Korg, I have to strongly disagree.
Distortion is an interesting point though, as I feel there is a slight fuzziness from the TRS-MS02's in the lower mid range.. but that wouldn't affect the line outs. I've played the T2 into a top class hifi system without any problems of distortion, perhaps there is a serious mismatch with your mixer?
Styles? There is so much said about Yamaha styles, demos and mp3s by the bucketful. I am surprised you jumped in and spend this amount of money without ever listening to a demo or mp3, or maybe I am wrong? It seems you've never heard a Yamaha instrument before?
The factory level settings are just that, and of course everyone will want to set up the instrument as they prefer. There is more than enough flexibility in the T2 to achieve this and retain it in registrations.

Of course this is all my own opinions, for which I personally enjoy and love Yamaha's arranger keyboards. That's not to say I dont like other boards, I still think Korg and Roland offer some great warm and fat synthy sounds but I personally find Yamaha has the edge on orchestral voices.

Simon

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!

#90204 - 12/03/05 03:02 PM Re: My new Tyros2
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I was hoping that my post would not be perceived as a Tyros2 bashing. I have no reason to do that, as no one wants to have to 'fess up to a costly mistake. Most people will usually try to defend an expensive purchase even if it defies logic (remember buying that convertible 2 seater at age 60 while living in nothern Maine......but Honey...). My objective was merely to present my "first impression" response to this board. I wasn't looking for "credibility" and liberally sprinkled my comments with "IN MY OPINION". To Ccdmax I would say, I'm sorry if my post influenced you to cancel your order in the face of so many positive posts about the T2. It very well may have been a good fit for you. To DREAMER I would say, Thank You, for making me take another look at my cable connections. As it turned out, you were correct and one of my cables did have a bad connection (spanking brand new cables too, darn). After correcting this, the sound did improve considerably (volume up, distortion gone, clarity improved). I think the moral here is, never get so defensive that you discount the value of what a desenter has to say. For the time being, because of my investment in peripheral gear for this board, AND because I don't feel that I have learned it well enough to give it a completely fair shake, I'm going to hold onto it for awhile longer. BTW, just changing the split-point to accomodate your style of playing helps alot with the 61key limitation. Since I bought it primarily as a studio "scratch pad" for composing and arranging, with more styles I may actually come to find it useful. I AM NOT AN EQUIPMENT BASHER (nor did I have sex with that woman).

chas

#90205 - 12/03/05 03:11 PM Re: My new Tyros2
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Simon, I guess we cross posted. Of course I heard the MP3's and factory demos. That's why I bought it. As for it's looks, it's seems a little out of place in the company of other high-end synths. Again, just my opinion.

Peace,

chas

#90206 - 12/03/05 03:21 PM Re: My new Tyros2
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Cgiles-

Thanks for sharing your honest opinions and experiences with the T2. Everyone's tastes are very personal, and that's the way it should be.

No arranger ( or workstation ) is going to completely cut it for me in the studio, but right now I'm looking strictly for a live performance board.

I still think I'll probably go with the T2. I'm not a huge fan of the overall Roland soundset, ( it's fine, just not my taste ) as it exists on the Fantom series, so there is no reason for me to believe I'd like the G70's any better.

I have a PA80. Love the styles, and the synth patches, organs, and strings. I don't like so many of the other acoustic instruments vs what's on my Motif ES. I can't find a PA1x to try out close to me, so I'll never know if there is mcuh improvement without taking a long trip somewhere.

I would think the T2 has a similar soundset to the Motif ES. I can live with that. I like the overall acoustic instrument soundset, but think Yamaha is weak for my tastes in synth patches. Still, with the laptop that accompanies me and all of the quality softsynths I have on it, this won't be a problem at all.

AJ

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online