SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#90023 - 05/24/06 12:58 PM Tyros 2 problems with aftertouch...
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Since I got my keyboard, I've had problems using the SA voices that use aftertouch. I haven't taken much notice and just got used to using the other ones instead, but I tried today again to see if I could use them better in my playing ... and I'm getting a bit worried.

On most of my keys, aftertouch doesn't come easy. I have to play around the length of the key until I find the right spot to apply pressure for aftertouch, and every key has a different spot. Some keys won't give me AT altogether. (For example I'll get from a C, not from the D, and then again from the E).

Is this normal? Has anyone else encountered this?

Chony

#90024 - 05/24/06 01:07 PM Re: Tyros 2 problems with aftertouch...
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
Chony,
Don't worry buddy! It is not important where on the keys you add pressure, but the initial velocity of each note makes the difference.

Just play the keys not too loud (velocity) but in a sensitive way and then add some extra pressure (aftertouch).... you'll now have the AT you want. (e.g. the concert guitar)

It takes a while to get used to it, but works fine

[This message has been edited by kla4 (edited 05-24-2006).]

#90025 - 05/24/06 01:39 PM Re: Tyros 2 problems with aftertouch...
Dnj Offline

I thought the same but its all fine its all in the key velocity....try different touch setting EG: soft 1/2.....hard 1/2 etc, etc, NORMAL might not be for your style of playing....

#90026 - 05/24/06 01:50 PM Re: Tyros 2 problems with aftertouch...
Michael P. Bedesem Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, VT
AT only works if you have not used up all the dynamic range with the initial keystroke. Generally, this requires a lighter delivery.

Regards,

Michael

#90027 - 05/24/06 09:08 PM Re: Tyros 2 problems with aftertouch...
chony Offline

Sorry, I tried all the things mentioned here - but to no avail. Obviously there's something wrong. Unfortunately I'm to busy with my keyboard so I'm probably not going to fix it. Such is life... Chony

#90028 - 05/26/06 08:09 AM Re: Tyros 2 problems with aftertouch...
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Regarding this feature; some keyboards describe the keys as having 'aftertouch' and others - e.g., some of the Yammies - use the term 'touch sensitive'. Do these terms pretty much describe the same thing?
Ciao,
Jerry

[This message has been edited by Jerry T (edited 05-26-2006).]

#90029 - 05/26/06 09:22 AM Re: Tyros 2 problems with aftertouch...
chony Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry T:
Regarding this feature; some keyboards describe the keys as having 'aftertouch' and others - e.g., some of the Yammies - use the term 'touch sensitive'. Do these terms pretty much describe the same thing?
Ciao,
Jerry

[This message has been edited by Jerry T (edited 05-26-2006).]

Touch sense: the velocity you hit the key.
After touch: while you have the key depressed, you can add varying amounts of pressure to get different sounds/effects.

Chony.

#90030 - 05/26/06 09:51 AM Re: Tyros 2 problems with aftertouch...
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Thanks Chony. So, with the 'touch sensitive' feature, if I strike the key hard, will I get a louder response and vice versa when striking the key softly?
A long time ago, I had boards - like the old Farfisa and Cordovox - that no matter how you hit the keys, the response was always the same. I was under the impression that 'aftertouch' was the feature that regulated the loud and soft response and that 'velocity' and 'touch sensitive' were different features.
Ciao,
Jerry

#90031 - 05/26/06 03:31 PM Re: Tyros 2 problems with aftertouch...
chony Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry T:
Thanks Chony. So, with the 'touch sensitive' feature, if I strike the key hard, will I get a louder response and vice versa when striking the key softly?

In theory yes, if that's what the keyboard is programmed to do. AT can also / alternatively add tremelo, filters, or even a different sound as is the case on the Ty2 SA instruments.

Chony.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online