SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#89738 - 01/15/04 02:53 PM Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hmmmmm..... taking it to work tonight - I'll post my findings after I get home !
It SEEMS pretty cool ....... very easy to set up and transport - no more speaker stands needed - no stray wires on the floor - it's very neat and compact. Now for the sound and coverage ...... stay tuned !

#89739 - 01/15/04 02:57 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Dnj Offline

sounds exciting....do you think it will cover a big room? 200-300 people versus the Ev's? did you get the Bass module also?

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/index_2.jsp

click musicians products

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-15-2004).]

#89740 - 01/15/04 03:04 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Bought the new Bose tower system today

What's the model number and list/street price? Anyone have a web link to this Bose System?

Quote:
Originally posted by Donny Pesce:

do you think it will cover a big room?

Nah, only wall to wall carpet can accomplish that.

#89741 - 01/15/04 05:26 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
SBPC Offline

Loc: Goleta, CA, USA
Hi Scott,
Back on Dec. 1 of last year I started a thread on this new Bose system. "Keybplayer" followed up on a reply with the following information:

If others want to read about the L1's simply go here: www.bose.com and when you get to the main page look near the top where it says "Products for Musicians". Click that link and wait for the page to 'fully' load then click the 'Click here' link at the bottom right corner of the flash intro at the top of the page. That will take you to the info about the L1's.

Paul C.

#89742 - 01/15/04 08:35 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Definitely exciting stuff UD, anxious to see your impressions.

#89743 - 01/15/04 08:48 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA

#89744 - 01/15/04 08:52 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
ViLo Offline

Have you guys seen or tried this system??
http://www.music123.com/item/?itemno=79275

#89745 - 01/15/04 09:42 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

Vilo,
I had one of those Dawn systems long ago, and while the satellites have been improved, I doubt that they sound much different from the old design. It was pretty good in the bass range, but the coverage was weak due to top facing piezo tweeters. It was OK, but nothing more back then. I haven't heard the new one.

Speaking of NEW ones ......

Ta Da !!!!!

I'm Bosin' it again folks, after almost 20 years away. I had a pair of the old 800's back in the day,and they were enhanced by a dedicated sub and add-on tweeters. Powerful and punchy for vocals. Back then, that's ALL we put in the PA.....and a teeny tiny bit of bass drum.

I had the L1 out tonight with my kn7k and a live, singing drummer. I bought the model with ONE sub. I figure I can add on to it if I need it later. The sound was stellar.
Really, really crisp and omnipresent all around the room. There were virtually NO dropouts anywhere! Amazing coverage, and NO louder or dead spots. It was smooth and even all over the place. Howdeydoodat?

I use a submixer that feeds the internal speakers of my kb and then send a stereo signal to the inputs in the Bose. (I also used my DriveRackPA because it's in the rack)The remote control has vol/bass/mid/treble and main for 2 of the 4 channels. The remaining 2 channels are direct to the pedestal. This wound be a great place to add a mixer in a more conventional setup, and save the #1 and #2 inputs for mics or guitars. Those 2 inputs have effects inserts, phantom power and preset EQ models for TONS of mics, guitars, setups etc....... very cool indeed.

So, how'd it sound?

In a word .......... AWESOME.
A fellow musician came in for the last set and his jaw dropped when he saw it. The look is WAY cool, and the sound is just EVERYWHERE. The bass was perfect for the room I was in, but I suspect that a wedding or larger dance would necessitate a second woofer. (It's designed to power 2, in addition to the tops)

BTW - it's 750+ watts!

The clarity was the best part. We set up very close to the bar in this room, and people are right in our laps. No one was bothered by the sound or volume. It's almost as if it were reflective sound. It doesn't hit you in the face like a conventional design does, but somehow - it covers a wider area. Strange phenomenon, but it's true.

The cases that it comes with are very well made and attractive. It's no sweat to carry the 2 piece pole set in one hand, and the base unit(pedestal) in the other. It's light, thin and all packs up behind the rear seat of my Windstar with the kb, stand and Laptop ..... and STILL doesn't block my view over the rear seat. I have room for 7 people in the van, and all my gear at the same time! It's a thing of beauty.

Will it work for everyone? Hmmmmmmmm, probably not. Some may want to feel that air rushing at 'em more than it does, and some will want a more booming bass, but for smooth, balanced, full sound - I was very impressed. Tomorrow night's job is more demanding and I am a soloist again, so I can give it a better test drive, but I fully expect to LOVE it.

This all came about because I was trying to trade my psr2100 back to GC. I hated it so much that I was willing to spend almost anything to make them want to take it back. Bose - Big Bucks - BINGO ! We have a deal !

It's really gonna be a good test tomorrow because the room is crowded, noisy and loooooong. If it can cover THIS place, then it's a keeper. I just LOVE the sleek, modern design too. It stands about 7 ft tall, so there's no need for speaker stands. All the wiring is internal too. One A/C plug. One connection to the woofer and the input cables from my kb. That's IT ! no scraggly wire mess .... no spagetti piles on the fllor. Just neat, clean and powerful. Saturday I'm doing a dance, so I'll be able to test out the bas in a louder setting. I can't wait.

I'll check in with you again on Sunday after the E*A*G*L*E*S win the NFC championship gane ! Whooo Hooo .... what a RIDE this is !

See ya !

#89746 - 01/15/04 10:06 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
I'll check in with you again on Sunday after the E*A*G*L*E*S win the NFC championship gane ! Whooo Hooo .... what a RIDE this is !

See ya !

Psst!! This is inside information. Look for the COLTS to be the next Super Bowl Champs!

Best regards,
Mike

#89747 - 01/15/04 10:09 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

Naw ....... just check the cover of SI this week - there's your champ !

#89748 - 01/15/04 10:12 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
keybplayer Offline

Btw, Vilo and Terry, could you shorten your URL links within this thread please.... They are too long and we all have to side scroll the posts to read them in their entirety. If you use the UBB Code you can shorten those links up. If you don't know how to do it could you please just delete the links? I hate having to scroll back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth... Well, you get the idea, right? Thanks.

Best regards,
Mike

#89749 - 01/16/04 02:37 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Roel Offline

The Dawn System ? I owned this system looooong time ago and I agree with UD.

What I did before selling it :
I copied the subwoofer cabinet (folded horn)but multiplied all dimensions with 1.8
Put a 18" dual coil speaker in it and WOW ! What an incredible sound with only an aged (25 years) Yamaha 100W amplifier and home made sublow-filter.
I still use it.... and love it !

Roel

#89750 - 01/16/04 05:45 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been following the comments about this PAS on the Bose forum and am almost decided to go for one of these systems, when it hits the europeans markets. I like the advanced concept, as long as it works as advertised! So I'll be waiting for your detailed comments, UD! -- José.

#89751 - 01/16/04 06:43 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
ViLo Offline

"The Dawn System ? I owned this system looooong time ago and I agree with UD".

Just click anywhere in the link

#89752 - 01/16/04 07:01 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Some questions for UD when you get a moment:

1. You said you ran a stereo keyboard signal to the Bose - so is it a stereo PA or a mono PA that will accept stereo in's? Do you actually need two "poles" for true stereo?

2. I have seen the publicity pictures of this system in action on the Bose website and they seem to indicate that the "pole" speaker is meant to go behind the performers and thus double as both a monitor and PA system. Have you tried it this way? Was there any feedback problems?

3. Can you tell what kind of speakers are in the "poles"? How much does the pole component and the subwoofer weigh?

BTW: Carolina sends it's regards, and we have several servings of crow hot and ready in case they are needed in Philly on Sunday...

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 01-16-2004).]

#89753 - 01/16/04 07:18 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
It's too cold in your neighborhood for my to come north and listen to this one. It's too cold here as well.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#89754 - 01/16/04 07:25 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Jim, Dave put his mic 15 inches from the front of the pole and it had no feedback????very strange..The system sounds very good..my only "wanted" feature would be a seperate volume control for the sub woofer..Bose automatically adjust to the room...In a dance situation with a band, we have to push the sub a little more..Of course you can add a powered sub woofer with it's own volume...One more thing you could add a basketball backboard to the pole, this allows us something to do on breaks...

#89755 - 01/16/04 07:46 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
You guys are gonna go broke trying to keep up with UD on this gear changing. Don't forget Dave is the highest pay solo guy in the country. Us hobbist and one and two nighters better stick with our Mackies and Peaveys.

#89756 - 01/16/04 07:47 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
rhumba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
Some questions for UD when you get a moment:

1. You said you ran a stereo keyboard signal to the Bose - so is it a stereo PA or a mono PA that will accept stereo in's? Do you actually need two "poles" for true stereo?

2. I have seen the publicity pictures of this system in action on the Bose website and they seem to indicate that the "pole" speaker is meant to go behind the performers and thus double as both a monitor and PA system. Have you tried it this way? Was there any feedback problems?

3. Can you tell what kind of speakers are in the "poles"? How much does the pole component and the subwoofer weigh?

1. It is stereo because the "pole" consist of TWO speakers, one mounted on top of the other.

2. I don't have one but saw the demo at GC. They did the demo while having the Sennheiser mic only inches away, pointing at the pole and no feedback! You know, with the conventional speaker, if you stand in front of the speaker, you pretty much block out much of the sound, but the sound was the same to me when I had someone stand directy in front of the speaker (relative to me). But I think Bose somehow designed it to have the "front" everywhere

3. When disassmbled, you will have two halves of the pole (l/r speakers??) and the base. Each half is about 10-12 lbs?? I don't know, I just kind of take it in my hand and it wasn't heavy.

#89757 - 01/16/04 08:35 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:

Do you actually need two "poles" for true stereo?

Not sure about that yet. I was playing as Fran put his ear to different parts of the poles. He could tell different spots at different times, but it's not a hard L/R split. There are 24 tiny speakers in the pole section and I think they are split up in various parts of the stereo field.
I THINK.
I will check this out further, but stereo or not ..... the sound is rich and full, and i hear my speakerk in my face as well, so at least I get stereo.

Quote:

Was there any feedback problems?

Not a hint. I was in a tight situation and couldn't get too far in front of it, so the pole was more at my left side about 3 feet over and 1/2 foot behind me. It didn't sound lopsided either. The sound seemed to come from all over the room.

Quote:

what kind of speakers are in the "poles"? How much does the pole component and the subwoofer weigh?

12 teeny, tiny little speakers are mounted in each half of the 7foot pole. They are solid, but not heavy at all. No sweat carrying both in one hand. The sub is very light weight and small as well. It has 2 - 6 1/2 inch speakers I think.

Quote:

Carolina sends it's regards

Tell your boys to wear their mittens ...... it's freezing up here !

#89758 - 01/16/04 10:19 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
The Pro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
You guys are gonna go broke trying to keep up with UD on this gear changing. Don't forget Dave is the highest pay solo guy in the country. Us hobbist and one and two nighters better stick with our Mackies and Peaveys.

Actually I'm pretty busy this month fortunately, but yes that Bose system costs a lot. My Motion Sound KP-200s is still the ace for me and since it's not even a year old yet I have no plans to change; but I'm always interested in what's new and the Bose system is radically new. I really hope it lives up to it's price and potential - it'd be nice to see the traditional "speakers-on-poles PA system" get a 21st century makeover.

#89759 - 01/16/04 11:08 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:

I don't know if UD is the highest paid or not, but that's not really relevant. What's important is Dave's PRIORITIES. His livelihood and his life is music. To compromise on the tools of his trade is not an option for Dave. He may drive a 73 pickup truck and eat free at the Salvation Army but he will have the best tools for his job. The problem is defining those tools and learning to use them to the best advantage. Bear is mind that the best tools for Dave may or may not be the best for DNJ, or Boo or me or anyone else.
DonM

#89760 - 01/16/04 11:36 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

Don's right about tools. They are so specific to each of our needs. I have always been a trend setter to my peers in the biz. They look to me to try the newest, coolest stuff - and I oblige if it suits me.

I just spoke with Bose and the tower system is mono. Using 2 towers would probably result in some cancellation because of the unusually wide dispersion characteristics that this unit has.

It sounds SO good with my acoustic guitar - even dry. I can't wait to use it at the coffee shop next week.

I fiddled with a few of the preset EQ settings today, and I found a good one for my kb setup. The bass just may be enough to handle my Saturday party ..... we'll see about that on Saturday. I'll throw the JBL's in the car ... just in case I need more coverage. I don't expect to need them, but I won't let the dance floor suffer if it doesn't cut it. Maybe I'll break down and buy the second woofer. They're so light and small - if you stack 2 it's more like having 4 of 'em hooked up. The bass response really spreads out if you add more modules, and that may be just what I'm looking for.

I like the "add on" concept of this unit.
Coffee house - no woof
Small job - one woof
Dance - 2 woofs ....... makes sense to me.

#89761 - 01/16/04 11:58 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I didn't know Brickboo was a Hobbit. Anybody else out there a hobbit too?

Dave, I'm jealous. Good for you!!!

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 01-16-2004).]

#89762 - 01/16/04 12:48 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
UD...Sounds like you've found your Pot of Gold. Good Luck.

#89763 - 01/16/04 01:04 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Scottyee Offline

Ok, I'm anxious to checkout this Bose system now. A few years ago when I was working with my band, I was using a pair of Bose 802's. The 802's were the popular band PA mainstay in the late 80's & early 90's, but after going solo, I switched to the more convenient to setup EV SxA100's & Motion Sound amp. I also loved the Bose 802's for their mid range clarity & smooth sound, though low end lacking and requring a sub.

Uncle Dave: Your purchase of this new Bose System has got me really interested now. I'm curious how you think the sound of it compares with the old Bose 802's, with and without sub. OMG, I just recently purchased the TC Helicon Voiceworks, Korg D1200mkII, and KRK V4 & S8 nearfields so I guess my piggy bank is drained now.

Scott

#89764 - 01/16/04 01:10 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
The Pro Offline

Quote:
I just spoke with Bose and the tower system is mono. Using 2 towers would probably result in some cancellation because of the unusually wide dispersion characteristics that this unit has.

Awwww. That means there is always the possibility of stereo phase cancellation even using just one tower, because summing the L/R keyboard output into one mono output can have that effect. And using two towers would be way damn expensive in addition to the possible dispersion-cancellation. Well, it can still sound great for your application and as long as you're happy with a mono PA system I hope it serves you well. The no-monitor-needed thing and absence of feedback problems alone is well worth the price for many a band.

PS: if you get a chance to run a pink-noise source into them and use a real time analyzer, it would be interesting to see how much EQ they need to run flat. My old Bose speakers used to take a LOT of EQ to get an even response and even then they still had frequency spikes. That was why I eventually went to JBL EON's.

#89765 - 01/17/04 01:17 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
My old Bose speakers used to take a LOT of EQ to get an even response

Yeah, I remember that too, but this is a totally different animal. The sub rounds out the base and I guess the smaller size of the tower speakers allow them to reproduce the highs much better. The pedestal unit houses a DSP that EQs and levels, and squashes .... it's amazing how cool it works.

I was visited tonight by another musician, and he was blown away before he came in the building! The reflection from OUTSIDE (with CLOSED doors, of course) was crystal clear and sounded great. After work we both went to check out a local band playing down the street, and my pal sat in on the vibes with the band - drums, bass, sax and B3/Piano. what a gas that was. They were really smokin' too. Old time music - old time crowd - good times were had by all.

So, after 2 nights ...... I'm STILL impressed.

*The mono signal is not an issue because the sound seems to emanate from everywhere, and there is no loss of fullness or excitement.
*The bass has been plenty strong enough, but tomorrow night will be a better test in that area. I'll have a larger crowd of dancers then, and I expect to punch the volume a bit more. I may throw another bass cab in the van for insurance.
*Set up/tear down is a breeze. It fits better behind the 3rd seat of my Windstar and stacks real nice too.

Lastly ..... the sound -

EVERYONE that has seen it has commented favorably. Some have absolutely RAVED. I admit - I really WANT to love it because of the many positive things it brings to my setup. I no longer need the Drive Rack PA processor because the Bose auto EQ circuitry has produced a wonderful, warm, sizzly tone that cuts through the crowd without being abusive or harsh. And for the first time in a Bose unit - there is a user remote with Active EQ and volume for 2 channels. This serves as my main mixer because I use my rack mixer (Toa D3) as a sub mix that feed my kb speakers.
This is 21st century stuff for sure.

#89766 - 01/17/04 05:39 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
The Pro Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
[B]
The pedestal unit houses a DSP that EQs and levels, and squashes .... it's amazing how cool it works.[/B}

So there is a compressor built-in? Is the EQ adjustable or preset by Bose?

[B]I was visited tonight by another musician, and he was blown away before he came in the building! The reflection from OUTSIDE (with CLOSED doors, of course) was crystal clear and sounded great.[/B}

I think the final test of my Motion Sound KP-200s for me was a wedding I played outdoors last year for the daughter of the leader of a band I play with now and then. These guys used to tour Europse playing motorcylce rock but now play Christian acoustic, and they know sound. I was playing on the front porch of a bed and breakfast with nothing but the KP-200s and they were situated around back and up on a porch listening to me, and later said the sound was full and clear even from there. When it sounds good when it shouldn't, you know you're onto something.

[B]
*Set up/tear down is a breeze. It fits better behind the 3rd seat of my Windstar and stacks real nice too. [/B}

Yeah the form factor alone seems against logic, but for many acts this could be the PA of their dreams once they see and hear it. Acoustic acts especially shoud love it, and of course anyone who is conscience of preventing back problems. The no-feedback monitor thing really gets me - wish I could hear this for myself. I think you've got something with this system if it's everything it seems to be. Glad I'm happy with my KP-200s or I'd be tempted. Good report.

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 01-17-2004).]

#89767 - 01/17/04 05:51 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Dnj Offline

So Pro when are you getting the New Bose System? Comon you know you want it!!!

I like it myself, but playing it on stage worries me and imagining the coverage for a 300+ room is yet to be addressed..If it can conquer that It deserves a closer look with its kool design.

#89768 - 01/17/04 06:04 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Dnj Offline

#89769 - 01/17/04 07:53 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Quote:

So there is a compressor built-in? Is the EQ adjustable or preset by Bose?

I don't want to post misinformation, and I only skimmed the manual about the internal DSP. I'll read it over after work tonight and tell you exactly what Bose decribes the processor as. I seem to remember it being a multi-purpose unit, but I can't say for sure, what those functions are. Bose is pretty tight lipped about their internal organs. I'm surprised that they published the wattage. (750+)
As for EQ - the remote gives you hi-mid-lo and vol for each of 2 channels. There are 2 more channels on the pedestal that only have volume pots.

BTW Jim,
It seems you were trying to post the "quotes" within brackets, but you omitted the final "
" at the end of each seprate quote. That puts the lines under it.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 01-17-2004).]

#89770 - 01/17/04 12:31 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
The Pro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
So Pro when are you getting the New Bose System? Comon you know you want it!!!

Nope, actually I don't want it... I still love my KP-200s and I'm never giving up stereo amplification. I can appreciate the Bose system from afar and hope I can hear one some time. Scott Yee is the one who's fumbling with his piggy bank over this one!

#89771 - 01/17/04 10:14 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

Here's what Bose says to describe the DSP:

"Smart, Internal Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Engine"

"DSP engine drives intelligent, active equalization and smart sensing of connected components. 100 preset capability for the primary channels."

"With DSP, the system automatically adjusts the sensitivity and output frequency response for whatever the user connects to the PS1."

Tonight I did a large party in a room separated by a sliding wall. The DJ in the next room was on one side of this "fake" wall and I was on the other, so the sound was very present on both sides at the same time. Not the best situation, but we got through it OK. Our backs were to each other.

The overall volume was fine. There is plenty of power in the mid and high range, but (as suspected) when I fired up the modern dance tunes in MP3 format .... I wanted a bit more bass coverage. Don't get me wrong - it was MORE than OK, but I just felt the need to have a little MORE air moving on the dance floor.

The floor was packed all night, but this was a mixed age group. If there were more 20-30 yr. olds there, I would be doing more modern stuff and the bass would be lacking. I'm pretty confident that adding one more sub is all I'd need for any thing I'd be asked to do. The BEST thing about this setup is the coverage. The volume in the farthest corners of the room is almost the same as on the dance floor. The clarity and crispness is still there too. Everyone was commenting on it. The table closest to me did not complain about the volume level, and the table in the back said there were times that they had to shout at each other. (this was the older folks' table).

This was a successful outing for both performer and gear. I got an extra hundred bucks for playing another 1/2 hour .... gave out a few CDs (as calling cards) and even was asked to autograph them! What a hoot - it's not even original material!

The only thing left to try is a true stereo setup, but I doubt that it could add anything to this already impressive mix. I really think that another tower array would introduce more trouble than benefit. The extra woofer is a must for larger dance parties though, so the actual street cost of the unit will be $2299US.

Forget about discounts from GC. Bose is very strict about pricing and you can't get a cent off ......... but my sales guy threw in a few extras to sweeten my deal. I needed new footpedals, so I got 3 Boss FS5U included at no charge.
My guy is a mench.(sp?)

I strongly advise you all to at least try this thing out. It takes an open mind to appreciate the concept. Some will listen with their "eyes" and want to see an extra column or larger boxes, but if you're honest about tone and not into excessive, overbearing volume with large peaks in one area and lower performance in other areas ....... this just may be the system for you.

Given the three very different venues I played this weekend - the 2 smaller ones were fantastic. The larger one was above average, but not as strong as I would like in the future. This can be corrected with a second sub. Monday morning ....... back to GC.
This system is a keeper, and my new visual trademark. No one else in this area has even SEEN one. It's way cool.

Imagine that ...... I'm actually happy with my gear at the moment!
Woah baby.

Oh yeah - one more thing about placement. Of the three nights in use - I had the column about 3-5 feet behind me and about 3 feet to my side. (I prefer left, but Thursday night, it's off to the right) It seems to work best a little farther away from you. The bass response spreads as it leaves the unit, so the closer you are to it.... the less bass you feel - even though the result on the dance floor is better.

My ideal placement is about 3-4 feet back and about2 feet off to my left. It almost looks like a center unit that way.

I like it. I really like it.

#89772 - 01/18/04 05:17 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Dnj Offline

#89773 - 01/18/04 05:50 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
ViLo Offline

Hey! UNcle Dave nice review, Do you mind if a post this review in another forum???
[Harmony Central] I think it will be of great benefit, since thre's a battle going on about this system.

thanks

#89774 - 01/18/04 06:57 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

Mind? Not at all! Let's all share the info. It's a lotta bread to dish out .... it's better to be an educated consumer than an impulse buyer !

#89775 - 01/18/04 07:05 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Nope, actually I don't want it... I still love my KP-200s and I'm never giving up stereo amplification. I can appreciate the Bose system from afar and hope I can hear one some time. Scott Yee is the one who's fumbling with his piggy bank over this one!

Hey Jim, actually my piggy bank's went 'bust' (into tiny little pieces ) , following all my recent music equipment acquisitions so the Bose system is out of my consideration for the time being as well. Afterall, running a business, we gotta remember to keep our overhead, income, & expenses in balance. I also concur with Jim about the requirement for stereo amplification as well as our mutual admiration for the Motion Sound amps, though mine (KP100S) is the little brother to his. - Scott

#89776 - 01/19/04 07:45 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
keybplayer Offline

Also remember without Stereo Amplification your compositions, songs and arrangements could not benefit from the Effects - PAN for one - that Stereo Amplification (ones that allow for Crossover frequencies) provide.

I can see UD biting the bullet and getting another L1 Tower eventually though. If, for nothing else, to use for those large venues coming up on the horizon.

Best regards,
Mike

#89777 - 01/19/04 10:02 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

Hmmm, another tower? Maybe, but there goes the ez set up.
As for stereo being a "requirement" - nope.
I love the fullness it provides to a LIMITED audience, but in truth - the room generally does not benifit from a stereo spread.
What you hear in effects panning and such is what I call gingerbread, and although I LIKE that stuff - it's much more benifitial to have the room FILLED in every nook and cranny with crystal clear, high fidelity sounds that are volume-balanced and ear-friendly.

Say what you will about your favorite setup, but I have NEVER heard a one piece unit that could spread the sound around a room better than the new Bose. I'm not leading the parade - just making early observations.

I'd gladly give up stereo to have such a room-filling sound that everyone will enjoy.
You simply have to hear it to believe it. It's not like ANYthing you've ever tried.
Believe me - I
d love to save the $2g ... but so far - I'm not convinced that there is a better, smaller way to get the same results.
Nothing I've owned has covered the back of a room better, while not blowing away the front of the room. In small situations - it's never much of a problem, but when you have to fill a large room ..... this is where the PAS shines. Bid time.

It's new.
It's fresh.
It's EZ to transport.
It's a contender.

#89778 - 01/19/04 01:13 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
UD,

This setup is very intriquing, I'd love to use it, but I just can't past the stereo issue.

How do stereo samples like a fazer rhodes or a Leslie effect sound without stereo? Don't you miss out on one side of the sound through a mono speaker even tho the sound is widely dispersed?

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#89779 - 01/19/04 02:30 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
The Pro Offline

Quote:

Say what you will about your favorite setup, but I have NEVER heard a one piece unit that could spread the sound around a room better than the new Bose. I'm not leading the parade - just making early observations.

I'd gladly give up stereo to have such a room-filling sound that everyone will enjoy.
You simply have to hear it to believe it. It's not like ANYthing you've ever tried.

Dave - you're going to have to admit sooner or later that you've never tried one of the Motion Sound stereo keyboard amps. You really should sometime - it IS the one-piece unit that can spread the sound around a room without having to give up stereo and without an additional mixer. And my guess-timate is that I could buy about three of them for the price of your new Bose system not counting your mixer... but still, I reserve judgement on your system until I hear it. If your Bose sounds three times as good as my KP-200s then I may get one myself someday - but that's a mighty tall order.

#89780 - 01/19/04 03:51 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
Quote:
Nothing I've owned has covered the back of a room better, while not blowing away the front of the room. In small situations - it's never much of a problem, but when you have to fill a large room ..... this is where the PAS shines. Bid time.

That is always one of my big Headaches, and that's not all people who least can't stand high volumes they come right underneath you and then they complaine that it's too loud.
Tony.

#89781 - 01/19/04 06:21 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Tony, why is it that the hard-of-hearing hell-raisers sit way in the back and the tea-sipping diners want to whisper to each other right in front of the speakers?
DonM

#89782 - 01/20/04 04:03 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Tony, why is it that the hard-of-hearing hell-raisers sit way in the back and the tea-sipping diners want to whisper to each other right in front of the speakers?
DonM

I really don't know don surely not to look at me, cause I'm not that much good looking, I wish someone could tell me????
But it's true and it happens many times.

Tony.

#89783 - 01/20/04 04:27 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

The think the old fogies sit close to usbecause they are usually the parenta os the guests of honor, and they want them up close o the limelight. Bad place for someone that likes quiet......until now.

Jim,
I have already admitted in the post that I haven't tried the amp you have, but I played a few other Motion sound models.
My gripes are (in no particular order)
weight
dispersion(yet to be proven)
mixer coltrols at my fingertips.....
I'll check one out before my 30 days is up with the Bose, but I'd be real surprised if the "room filling" characteristic is even half as good. Remember, my system has to progect vocals all over, while that's not a priority for you.

We'll see..... I didn't expect the Bose to be this good, I didn't think the Panthers would beat the Rams (or US), I didn't think I'd be a single father at 48, and I didn't think I ever be satisfied with a mono system.
Times change, I suppose.

As to loosing signal or effects in mono - I've never found a mono mix to be "emply", just less active. In the case of the Bose - it's so alive and ever-present, that the stereo issue hasn't come up yet. I'll have to hook another amp up just to see if it can be enhanced further, but I'm so psyched at the thought of just using a single tower. There ARE 3 separate amps in this unit....maybe is possible to tap into them somehow, but then, you'd loose the DSP internally, and chance blowing upi the tiny speakers. I'm not gonna get too creative with hookups. It sounds awesome - people are RAVING about it and I'm going to leave it AS IS for a while.

Don't worry, I'll continue to puch the envelope a bit and see if there are any drawbacks. I'm not a Bose embassador .... just a guy looking for a better way to be heard.

#89784 - 01/20/04 05:44 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Dnj Offline

Is it affecting the sound of your MP3's seperation,...I guess your LT is plugged in Mono L/R correct? I also go stereo only on my big stage gigs otherwise using one amp the stereo to mono L/R signal into [2] channels is fine.....as if anyone knows the difference.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-20-2004).]

#89785 - 01/20/04 07:22 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

I use a stereo mixer that feeds:
the Laptop(in stereo),
my mic/harmonizer(in stereo),
the drums from the kb(in stereo),
and a wireless mc mic
into the stereo audio inputs of the kn7k.
This produces a stereo mix in my face that's pretty darn loud in small situations.
I then feed a mono send to the input of the Bose and the summed signal is amplified for all to hear.

Stereo is like a flash on a camera - it only works in a limited area. As much as I love the fullness - I'll repeat:
The audience rarely benefits from it.
As long as I keep getting these rave reviews on the PAS, I'm going to have to take them seriously.

#89786 - 01/20/04 07:58 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
I'll continue to puch the envelope a bit and see if there are any drawbacks

UD & DNJ... How do you think the bass end compares with the Barbetta SE32? I'm thinking of for dance music (seniors).

BTW, what's PAS?

#89787 - 01/20/04 08:22 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Dnj Offline

The Barbettas sona 32c's work fantastic for me in all applications using 1 for any Nursing home, small gigs, etc.., or 2 for Bigger venues 200-400 pp....Ba is excellent with the 15" woofers..I love them....
I have never heard the Bose L1's yet in a live situiation so I cant comment at this time.
www.barbetta.com

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-20-2004).]

#89788 - 01/20/04 08:59 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

The PAS is Bose's name:
Personal
Amplification
System

The bass bin is a B1
The tower is an L1 and the pedestal is a PS1

Senior gigs would be NO problem with a single woofer. I only feel that I need the second one in louder, modern dance setups. Maybe 20% of my year's work only.

#89789 - 01/20/04 09:10 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Dnj Offline

Dave.....are the Jbl 10" eons gone...or backup ?

#89790 - 01/20/04 07:37 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

Reserve power for when I need to cover extra rooms, maybe. Or if the love affair pales b4 30 days are up.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online