SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#89778 - 01/19/04 01:13 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
UD,

This setup is very intriquing, I'd love to use it, but I just can't past the stereo issue.

How do stereo samples like a fazer rhodes or a Leslie effect sound without stereo? Don't you miss out on one side of the sound through a mono speaker even tho the sound is widely dispersed?

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#89779 - 01/19/04 02:30 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:

Say what you will about your favorite setup, but I have NEVER heard a one piece unit that could spread the sound around a room better than the new Bose. I'm not leading the parade - just making early observations.

I'd gladly give up stereo to have such a room-filling sound that everyone will enjoy.
You simply have to hear it to believe it. It's not like ANYthing you've ever tried.

Dave - you're going to have to admit sooner or later that you've never tried one of the Motion Sound stereo keyboard amps. You really should sometime - it IS the one-piece unit that can spread the sound around a room without having to give up stereo and without an additional mixer. And my guess-timate is that I could buy about three of them for the price of your new Bose system not counting your mixer... but still, I reserve judgement on your system until I hear it. If your Bose sounds three times as good as my KP-200s then I may get one myself someday - but that's a mighty tall order.

#89780 - 01/19/04 03:51 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
Quote:
Nothing I've owned has covered the back of a room better, while not blowing away the front of the room. In small situations - it's never much of a problem, but when you have to fill a large room ..... this is where the PAS shines. Bid time.

That is always one of my big Headaches, and that's not all people who least can't stand high volumes they come right underneath you and then they complaine that it's too loud.
Tony.

#89781 - 01/19/04 06:21 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Tony, why is it that the hard-of-hearing hell-raisers sit way in the back and the tea-sipping diners want to whisper to each other right in front of the speakers?
DonM

#89782 - 01/20/04 04:03 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Tony, why is it that the hard-of-hearing hell-raisers sit way in the back and the tea-sipping diners want to whisper to each other right in front of the speakers?
DonM

I really don't know don surely not to look at me, cause I'm not that much good looking, I wish someone could tell me????
But it's true and it happens many times.

Tony.

#89783 - 01/20/04 04:27 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The think the old fogies sit close to usbecause they are usually the parenta os the guests of honor, and they want them up close o the limelight. Bad place for someone that likes quiet......until now.

Jim,
I have already admitted in the post that I haven't tried the amp you have, but I played a few other Motion sound models.
My gripes are (in no particular order)
weight
dispersion(yet to be proven)
mixer coltrols at my fingertips.....
I'll check one out before my 30 days is up with the Bose, but I'd be real surprised if the "room filling" characteristic is even half as good. Remember, my system has to progect vocals all over, while that's not a priority for you.

We'll see..... I didn't expect the Bose to be this good, I didn't think the Panthers would beat the Rams (or US), I didn't think I'd be a single father at 48, and I didn't think I ever be satisfied with a mono system.
Times change, I suppose.

As to loosing signal or effects in mono - I've never found a mono mix to be "emply", just less active. In the case of the Bose - it's so alive and ever-present, that the stereo issue hasn't come up yet. I'll have to hook another amp up just to see if it can be enhanced further, but I'm so psyched at the thought of just using a single tower. There ARE 3 separate amps in this unit....maybe is possible to tap into them somehow, but then, you'd loose the DSP internally, and chance blowing upi the tiny speakers. I'm not gonna get too creative with hookups. It sounds awesome - people are RAVING about it and I'm going to leave it AS IS for a while.

Don't worry, I'll continue to puch the envelope a bit and see if there are any drawbacks. I'm not a Bose embassador .... just a guy looking for a better way to be heard.

#89784 - 01/20/04 05:44 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Dnj Offline

Is it affecting the sound of your MP3's seperation,...I guess your LT is plugged in Mono L/R correct? I also go stereo only on my big stage gigs otherwise using one amp the stereo to mono L/R signal into [2] channels is fine.....as if anyone knows the difference.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-20-2004).]

#89785 - 01/20/04 07:22 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I use a stereo mixer that feeds:
the Laptop(in stereo),
my mic/harmonizer(in stereo),
the drums from the kb(in stereo),
and a wireless mc mic
into the stereo audio inputs of the kn7k.
This produces a stereo mix in my face that's pretty darn loud in small situations.
I then feed a mono send to the input of the Bose and the summed signal is amplified for all to hear.

Stereo is like a flash on a camera - it only works in a limited area. As much as I love the fullness - I'll repeat:
The audience rarely benefits from it.
As long as I keep getting these rave reviews on the PAS, I'm going to have to take them seriously.

#89786 - 01/20/04 07:58 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
I'll continue to puch the envelope a bit and see if there are any drawbacks

UD & DNJ... How do you think the bass end compares with the Barbetta SE32? I'm thinking of for dance music (seniors).

BTW, what's PAS?

#89787 - 01/20/04 08:22 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Dnj Offline

The Barbettas sona 32c's work fantastic for me in all applications using 1 for any Nursing home, small gigs, etc.., or 2 for Bigger venues 200-400 pp....Ba is excellent with the 15" woofers..I love them....
I have never heard the Bose L1's yet in a live situiation so I cant comment at this time.
www.barbetta.com

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-20-2004).]

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online