#89768 - 01/17/04 06:04 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Dnj Offline

#89769 - 01/17/04 07:53 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
Quote:

So there is a compressor built-in? Is the EQ adjustable or preset by Bose?

I don't want to post misinformation, and I only skimmed the manual about the internal DSP. I'll read it over after work tonight and tell you exactly what Bose decribes the processor as. I seem to remember it being a multi-purpose unit, but I can't say for sure, what those functions are. Bose is pretty tight lipped about their internal organs. I'm surprised that they published the wattage. (750+)
As for EQ - the remote gives you hi-mid-lo and vol for each of 2 channels. There are 2 more channels on the pedestal that only have volume pots.

BTW Jim,
It seems you were trying to post the "quotes" within brackets, but you omitted the final "
" at the end of each seprate quote. That puts the lines under it.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 01-17-2004).]

#89770 - 01/17/04 12:31 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
So Pro when are you getting the New Bose System? Comon you know you want it!!!

Nope, actually I don't want it... I still love my KP-200s and I'm never giving up stereo amplification. I can appreciate the Bose system from afar and hope I can hear one some time. Scott Yee is the one who's fumbling with his piggy bank over this one!

#89771 - 01/17/04 10:14 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

Here's what Bose says to describe the DSP:

"Smart, Internal Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Engine"

"DSP engine drives intelligent, active equalization and smart sensing of connected components. 100 preset capability for the primary channels."

"With DSP, the system automatically adjusts the sensitivity and output frequency response for whatever the user connects to the PS1."

Tonight I did a large party in a room separated by a sliding wall. The DJ in the next room was on one side of this "fake" wall and I was on the other, so the sound was very present on both sides at the same time. Not the best situation, but we got through it OK. Our backs were to each other.

The overall volume was fine. There is plenty of power in the mid and high range, but (as suspected) when I fired up the modern dance tunes in MP3 format .... I wanted a bit more bass coverage. Don't get me wrong - it was MORE than OK, but I just felt the need to have a little MORE air moving on the dance floor.

The floor was packed all night, but this was a mixed age group. If there were more 20-30 yr. olds there, I would be doing more modern stuff and the bass would be lacking. I'm pretty confident that adding one more sub is all I'd need for any thing I'd be asked to do. The BEST thing about this setup is the coverage. The volume in the farthest corners of the room is almost the same as on the dance floor. The clarity and crispness is still there too. Everyone was commenting on it. The table closest to me did not complain about the volume level, and the table in the back said there were times that they had to shout at each other. (this was the older folks' table).

This was a successful outing for both performer and gear. I got an extra hundred bucks for playing another 1/2 hour .... gave out a few CDs (as calling cards) and even was asked to autograph them! What a hoot - it's not even original material!

The only thing left to try is a true stereo setup, but I doubt that it could add anything to this already impressive mix. I really think that another tower array would introduce more trouble than benefit. The extra woofer is a must for larger dance parties though, so the actual street cost of the unit will be $2299US.

Forget about discounts from GC. Bose is very strict about pricing and you can't get a cent off ......... but my sales guy threw in a few extras to sweeten my deal. I needed new footpedals, so I got 3 Boss FS5U included at no charge.
My guy is a mench.(sp?)

I strongly advise you all to at least try this thing out. It takes an open mind to appreciate the concept. Some will listen with their "eyes" and want to see an extra column or larger boxes, but if you're honest about tone and not into excessive, overbearing volume with large peaks in one area and lower performance in other areas ....... this just may be the system for you.

Given the three very different venues I played this weekend - the 2 smaller ones were fantastic. The larger one was above average, but not as strong as I would like in the future. This can be corrected with a second sub. Monday morning ....... back to GC.
This system is a keeper, and my new visual trademark. No one else in this area has even SEEN one. It's way cool.

Imagine that ...... I'm actually happy with my gear at the moment!
Woah baby.

Oh yeah - one more thing about placement. Of the three nights in use - I had the column about 3-5 feet behind me and about 3 feet to my side. (I prefer left, but Thursday night, it's off to the right) It seems to work best a little farther away from you. The bass response spreads as it leaves the unit, so the closer you are to it.... the less bass you feel - even though the result on the dance floor is better.

My ideal placement is about 3-4 feet back and about2 feet off to my left. It almost looks like a center unit that way.

I like it. I really like it.

#89772 - 01/18/04 05:17 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Dnj Offline

#89773 - 01/18/04 05:50 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
Hey! UNcle Dave nice review, Do you mind if a post this review in another forum???
[Harmony Central] I think it will be of great benefit, since thre's a battle going on about this system.

thanks

#89774 - 01/18/04 06:57 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

Mind? Not at all! Let's all share the info. It's a lotta bread to dish out .... it's better to be an educated consumer than an impulse buyer !

#89775 - 01/18/04 07:05 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
Nope, actually I don't want it... I still love my KP-200s and I'm never giving up stereo amplification. I can appreciate the Bose system from afar and hope I can hear one some time. Scott Yee is the one who's fumbling with his piggy bank over this one!

Hey Jim, actually my piggy bank's went 'bust' (into tiny little pieces ) , following all my recent music equipment acquisitions so the Bose system is out of my consideration for the time being as well. Afterall, running a business, we gotta remember to keep our overhead, income, & expenses in balance. I also concur with Jim about the requirement for stereo amplification as well as our mutual admiration for the Motion Sound amps, though mine (KP100S) is the little brother to his. - Scott

#89776 - 01/19/04 07:45 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Also remember without Stereo Amplification your compositions, songs and arrangements could not benefit from the Effects - PAN for one - that Stereo Amplification (ones that allow for Crossover frequencies) provide.

I can see UD biting the bullet and getting another L1 Tower eventually though. If, for nothing else, to use for those large venues coming up on the horizon.

Best regards,
Mike

#89777 - 01/19/04 10:02 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

Hmmm, another tower? Maybe, but there goes the ez set up.
As for stereo being a "requirement" - nope.
I love the fullness it provides to a LIMITED audience, but in truth - the room generally does not benifit from a stereo spread.
What you hear in effects panning and such is what I call gingerbread, and although I LIKE that stuff - it's much more benifitial to have the room FILLED in every nook and cranny with crystal clear, high fidelity sounds that are volume-balanced and ear-friendly.

Say what you will about your favorite setup, but I have NEVER heard a one piece unit that could spread the sound around a room better than the new Bose. I'm not leading the parade - just making early observations.

I'd gladly give up stereo to have such a room-filling sound that everyone will enjoy.
You simply have to hear it to believe it. It's not like ANYthing you've ever tried.
Believe me - I
d love to save the $2g ... but so far - I'm not convinced that there is a better, smaller way to get the same results.
Nothing I've owned has covered the back of a room better, while not blowing away the front of the room. In small situations - it's never much of a problem, but when you have to fill a large room ..... this is where the PAS shines. Bid time.

It's new.
It's fresh.
It's EZ to transport.
It's a contender.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online