Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#89758 - 01/16/04 10:19 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
You guys are gonna go broke trying to keep up with UD on this gear changing. Don't forget Dave is the highest pay solo guy in the country. Us hobbist and one and two nighters better stick with our Mackies and Peaveys.

Actually I'm pretty busy this month fortunately, but yes that Bose system costs a lot. My Motion Sound KP-200s is still the ace for me and since it's not even a year old yet I have no plans to change; but I'm always interested in what's new and the Bose system is radically new. I really hope it lives up to it's price and potential - it'd be nice to see the traditional "speakers-on-poles PA system" get a 21st century makeover.

#89759 - 01/16/04 11:08 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
You guys are gonna go broke trying to keep up with UD on this gear changing. Don't forget Dave is the highest pay solo guy in the country. Us hobbist and one and two nighters better stick with our Mackies and Peaveys.

I don't know if UD is the highest paid or not, but that's not really relevant. What's important is Dave's PRIORITIES. His livelihood and his life is music. To compromise on the tools of his trade is not an option for Dave. He may drive a 73 pickup truck and eat free at the Salvation Army but he will have the best tools for his job. The problem is defining those tools and learning to use them to the best advantage. Bear is mind that the best tools for Dave may or may not be the best for DNJ, or Boo or me or anyone else.
DonM

#89760 - 01/16/04 11:36 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Don's right about tools. They are so specific to each of our needs. I have always been a trend setter to my peers in the biz. They look to me to try the newest, coolest stuff - and I oblige if it suits me.

I just spoke with Bose and the tower system is mono. Using 2 towers would probably result in some cancellation because of the unusually wide dispersion characteristics that this unit has.

It sounds SO good with my acoustic guitar - even dry. I can't wait to use it at the coffee shop next week.

I fiddled with a few of the preset EQ settings today, and I found a good one for my kb setup. The bass just may be enough to handle my Saturday party ..... we'll see about that on Saturday. I'll throw the JBL's in the car ... just in case I need more coverage. I don't expect to need them, but I won't let the dance floor suffer if it doesn't cut it. Maybe I'll break down and buy the second woofer. They're so light and small - if you stack 2 it's more like having 4 of 'em hooked up. The bass response really spreads out if you add more modules, and that may be just what I'm looking for.

I like the "add on" concept of this unit.
Coffee house - no woof
Small job - one woof
Dance - 2 woofs ....... makes sense to me.

#89761 - 01/16/04 11:58 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I didn't know Brickboo was a Hobbit. Anybody else out there a hobbit too?

Dave, I'm jealous. Good for you!!!

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 01-16-2004).]

#89762 - 01/16/04 12:48 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
UD...Sounds like you've found your Pot of Gold. Good Luck.

#89763 - 01/16/04 01:04 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Ok, I'm anxious to checkout this Bose system now. A few years ago when I was working with my band, I was using a pair of Bose 802's. The 802's were the popular band PA mainstay in the late 80's & early 90's, but after going solo, I switched to the more convenient to setup EV SxA100's & Motion Sound amp. I also loved the Bose 802's for their mid range clarity & smooth sound, though low end lacking and requring a sub.

Uncle Dave: Your purchase of this new Bose System has got me really interested now. I'm curious how you think the sound of it compares with the old Bose 802's, with and without sub. OMG, I just recently purchased the TC Helicon Voiceworks, Korg D1200mkII, and KRK V4 & S8 nearfields so I guess my piggy bank is drained now.

Scott

#89764 - 01/16/04 01:10 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
The Pro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
I just spoke with Bose and the tower system is mono. Using 2 towers would probably result in some cancellation because of the unusually wide dispersion characteristics that this unit has.

Awwww. That means there is always the possibility of stereo phase cancellation even using just one tower, because summing the L/R keyboard output into one mono output can have that effect. And using two towers would be way damn expensive in addition to the possible dispersion-cancellation. Well, it can still sound great for your application and as long as you're happy with a mono PA system I hope it serves you well. The no-monitor-needed thing and absence of feedback problems alone is well worth the price for many a band.

PS: if you get a chance to run a pink-noise source into them and use a real time analyzer, it would be interesting to see how much EQ they need to run flat. My old Bose speakers used to take a LOT of EQ to get an even response and even then they still had frequency spikes. That was why I eventually went to JBL EON's.

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 01-16-2004).]

#89765 - 01/17/04 01:17 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
My old Bose speakers used to take a LOT of EQ to get an even response

Yeah, I remember that too, but this is a totally different animal. The sub rounds out the base and I guess the smaller size of the tower speakers allow them to reproduce the highs much better. The pedestal unit houses a DSP that EQs and levels, and squashes .... it's amazing how cool it works.

I was visited tonight by another musician, and he was blown away before he came in the building! The reflection from OUTSIDE (with CLOSED doors, of course) was crystal clear and sounded great. After work we both went to check out a local band playing down the street, and my pal sat in on the vibes with the band - drums, bass, sax and B3/Piano. what a gas that was. They were really smokin' too. Old time music - old time crowd - good times were had by all.

So, after 2 nights ...... I'm STILL impressed.

*The mono signal is not an issue because the sound seems to emanate from everywhere, and there is no loss of fullness or excitement.
*The bass has been plenty strong enough, but tomorrow night will be a better test in that area. I'll have a larger crowd of dancers then, and I expect to punch the volume a bit more. I may throw another bass cab in the van for insurance.
*Set up/tear down is a breeze. It fits better behind the 3rd seat of my Windstar and stacks real nice too.

Lastly ..... the sound -

EVERYONE that has seen it has commented favorably. Some have absolutely RAVED. I admit - I really WANT to love it because of the many positive things it brings to my setup. I no longer need the Drive Rack PA processor because the Bose auto EQ circuitry has produced a wonderful, warm, sizzly tone that cuts through the crowd without being abusive or harsh. And for the first time in a Bose unit - there is a user remote with Active EQ and volume for 2 channels. This serves as my main mixer because I use my rack mixer (Toa D3) as a sub mix that feed my kb speakers.
This is 21st century stuff for sure.

#89766 - 01/17/04 05:39 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
The Pro Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
[B]
The pedestal unit houses a DSP that EQs and levels, and squashes .... it's amazing how cool it works.[/B}

So there is a compressor built-in? Is the EQ adjustable or preset by Bose?

[B]I was visited tonight by another musician, and he was blown away before he came in the building! The reflection from OUTSIDE (with CLOSED doors, of course) was crystal clear and sounded great.[/B}

I think the final test of my Motion Sound KP-200s for me was a wedding I played outdoors last year for the daughter of the leader of a band I play with now and then. These guys used to tour Europse playing motorcylce rock but now play Christian acoustic, and they know sound. I was playing on the front porch of a bed and breakfast with nothing but the KP-200s and they were situated around back and up on a porch listening to me, and later said the sound was full and clear even from there. When it sounds good when it shouldn't, you know you're onto something.

[B]
*Set up/tear down is a breeze. It fits better behind the 3rd seat of my Windstar and stacks real nice too. [/B}

Yeah the form factor alone seems against logic, but for many acts this could be the PA of their dreams once they see and hear it. Acoustic acts especially shoud love it, and of course anyone who is conscience of preventing back problems. The no-feedback monitor thing really gets me - wish I could hear this for myself. I think you've got something with this system if it's everything it seems to be. Glad I'm happy with my KP-200s or I'd be tempted. Good report.

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 01-17-2004).]

#89767 - 01/17/04 05:51 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Dnj Offline

So Pro when are you getting the New Bose System? Comon you know you want it!!!

I like it myself, but playing it on stage worries me and imagining the coverage for a 300+ room is yet to be addressed..If it can conquer that It deserves a closer look with its kool design.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online