SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#89748 - 01/15/04 10:12 PM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Btw, Vilo and Terry, could you shorten your URL links within this thread please.... They are too long and we all have to side scroll the posts to read them in their entirety. If you use the UBB Code you can shorten those links up. If you don't know how to do it could you please just delete the links? I hate having to scroll back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth... Well, you get the idea, right? Thanks.

Best regards,
Mike

#89749 - 01/16/04 02:37 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Roel Offline

The Dawn System ? I owned this system looooong time ago and I agree with UD.

What I did before selling it :
I copied the subwoofer cabinet (folded horn)but multiplied all dimensions with 1.8
Put a 18" dual coil speaker in it and WOW ! What an incredible sound with only an aged (25 years) Yamaha 100W amplifier and home made sublow-filter.
I still use it.... and love it !

Roel

#89750 - 01/16/04 05:45 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been following the comments about this PAS on the Bose forum and am almost decided to go for one of these systems, when it hits the europeans markets. I like the advanced concept, as long as it works as advertised! So I'll be waiting for your detailed comments, UD! -- José.

#89751 - 01/16/04 06:43 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
"The Dawn System ? I owned this system looooong time ago and I agree with UD".

Just click anywhere in the link

#89752 - 01/16/04 07:01 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Some questions for UD when you get a moment:

1. You said you ran a stereo keyboard signal to the Bose - so is it a stereo PA or a mono PA that will accept stereo in's? Do you actually need two "poles" for true stereo?

2. I have seen the publicity pictures of this system in action on the Bose website and they seem to indicate that the "pole" speaker is meant to go behind the performers and thus double as both a monitor and PA system. Have you tried it this way? Was there any feedback problems?

3. Can you tell what kind of speakers are in the "poles"? How much does the pole component and the subwoofer weigh?

BTW: Carolina sends it's regards, and we have several servings of crow hot and ready in case they are needed in Philly on Sunday...

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 01-16-2004).]

#89753 - 01/16/04 07:18 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
It's too cold in your neighborhood for my to come north and listen to this one. It's too cold here as well.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#89754 - 01/16/04 07:25 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Jim, Dave put his mic 15 inches from the front of the pole and it had no feedback????very strange..The system sounds very good..my only "wanted" feature would be a seperate volume control for the sub woofer..Bose automatically adjust to the room...In a dance situation with a band, we have to push the sub a little more..Of course you can add a powered sub woofer with it's own volume...One more thing you could add a basketball backboard to the pole, this allows us something to do on breaks...

#89755 - 01/16/04 07:46 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
You guys are gonna go broke trying to keep up with UD on this gear changing. Don't forget Dave is the highest pay solo guy in the country. Us hobbist and one and two nighters better stick with our Mackies and Peaveys.

#89756 - 01/16/04 07:47 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
rhumba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
Some questions for UD when you get a moment:

1. You said you ran a stereo keyboard signal to the Bose - so is it a stereo PA or a mono PA that will accept stereo in's? Do you actually need two "poles" for true stereo?

2. I have seen the publicity pictures of this system in action on the Bose website and they seem to indicate that the "pole" speaker is meant to go behind the performers and thus double as both a monitor and PA system. Have you tried it this way? Was there any feedback problems?

3. Can you tell what kind of speakers are in the "poles"? How much does the pole component and the subwoofer weigh?

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 01-16-2004).]

1. It is stereo because the "pole" consist of TWO speakers, one mounted on top of the other.

2. I don't have one but saw the demo at GC. They did the demo while having the Sennheiser mic only inches away, pointing at the pole and no feedback! You know, with the conventional speaker, if you stand in front of the speaker, you pretty much block out much of the sound, but the sound was the same to me when I had someone stand directy in front of the speaker (relative to me). But I think Bose somehow designed it to have the "front" everywhere

3. When disassmbled, you will have two halves of the pole (l/r speakers??) and the base. Each half is about 10-12 lbs?? I don't know, I just kind of take it in my hand and it wasn't heavy.

#89757 - 01/16/04 08:35 AM Re: Bought the new Bose tower system today
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:

Do you actually need two "poles" for true stereo?

Not sure about that yet. I was playing as Fran put his ear to different parts of the poles. He could tell different spots at different times, but it's not a hard L/R split. There are 24 tiny speakers in the pole section and I think they are split up in various parts of the stereo field.
I THINK.
I will check this out further, but stereo or not ..... the sound is rich and full, and i hear my speakerk in my face as well, so at least I get stereo.

Quote:

Was there any feedback problems?

Not a hint. I was in a tight situation and couldn't get too far in front of it, so the pole was more at my left side about 3 feet over and 1/2 foot behind me. It didn't sound lopsided either. The sound seemed to come from all over the room.

Quote:

what kind of speakers are in the "poles"? How much does the pole component and the subwoofer weigh?

12 teeny, tiny little speakers are mounted in each half of the 7foot pole. They are solid, but not heavy at all. No sweat carrying both in one hand. The sub is very light weight and small as well. It has 2 - 6 1/2 inch speakers I think.

Quote:

Carolina sends it's regards

Tell your boys to wear their mittens ...... it's freezing up here !

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online