SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#89181 - 07/24/10 09:27 AM Question for Nigel
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Nigel,

I noticed something about this site several years ago and finally decided to ask you about it. Is the stereogram that you used for the background on purpose or just by accident. And if the purpose was a stereogram, why is there no hidden picture? Although just having the sense of depth is nice all on its own.

Just curious,

Dave

#89182 - 07/26/10 04:18 PM Re: Question for Nigel
Nigel Online   wise
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
No, Dave it's not actually a stereogram but that question has been asked before. It is simply a small tile texture that happens to give that impression. The reason I chose it when I started Synth Zone back in 1995 was because it looks like the vinyl on a speaker cabinet that I thought would make musicians feel at home

#89183 - 07/26/10 08:01 PM Re: Question for Nigel
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tolex

#89184 - 07/26/10 09:02 PM Re: Question for Nigel
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tolex is the trade name of a flexible vinyl material used to cover Fender amplifiers, Coffin Case guitar cases and guitar cases from the 1960s onwards.

Tolex was filed as a trademark on August 30, 1945 by the General Tire, and is currently registered as "a plastic sheet and film material for book binding and case covering for speakers and amplifiers".

Tolex was also used in marine upholstery applications found in classic Chris-Craft models and other boats.

Although the term "Tolex" is often used as a generic description for any amplifier or guitar case vinyl-type covering, most are not actually Tolex brand except for Fender and Rickenbacker related products.

Orange amps use a special Orange Tolex

Vader Cabinets cover their merchandise with Tolex.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online