SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#89174 - 07/20/10 12:06 PM Long-time music partner died Sunday...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My long-time duo music partner, Preston Webber, a real music/entertainment legend around Lexington, passed away Sunday. We worked together from 1975 to 1994.

I would begin the evening on keyboards at 8:00 PM and play until he got there...always late...usually around 9:40 PM or so. He would play a 2 hour set, with me backing him up on guitar, bass, mandolin,...whatever. I'd play a short 1/2 hour solo set and then we would finish the night; often in the lobby or parking lot, singing all the requests he forgot or didn't get to. He would hit his stride about closing time, and piss off the help, because he didn't want to stop. We never had a rehearsal. His timing was bad. He didn't bother to learn the right changes. He didn't know the right words to many songs. He broke lots of strings, but wouldn't pay the small cost to fix the nut to prevent the problem. Instead, he built that changing of the strings into the act..."oh no, folks, I broke ANOTHER G String" (lots of laughs, believe it or not). A folk-singer, he transitioned to modern country and novelty songs when it was time to do so. He wore a tux every night. He knew every patron and often had people wait two or three sets to be called up on the bandstand to sing, play "gut bucket", etc.

He started at a Ramada Inn in 1966. He wanted $200.00 a week and the place would not pay that. Instead, they paid him 10% of alcohol sales. They made the mistake of paying the percentage on all sales, all day, not just bar sales from 9:00 to 1:00, and the National Governor's Conference was held at the hotel. He made over $58,000 plus a room, laundry and meals that first year.

His salary generally equaled my playing money, plus my pay as a full-time corporate person. He was worth every cent, even though I stood beside him, working twice as long every night wondering why the hell all those people were there.

Sadly, even though he never smoked, all those years in smoky lounges took a tragic toll. In 1994, he had 3/4 of his tongue removed-tongue cancer, and had a 25% chance of surviving 5 years. He lived another 15 years, on a feeding tube. He couldn't talk or sing and, since they took skin and other materials from his left arm to repair his throat, couldn't play guitar.

We weren't the closest of friends, but I enjoyed working with him and learned a lot from him.

* Entertainers are a special breed. I can't do it, but respect the really good ones. Preston was one of the best.

* The danger of second hand smoke is real and the results can be life ending.

* He was adored by thousands, but dropped immediately by most people as soon as he couldn't entertain. He said I was one of the very few who stuck with him.

* You can learn from and appreciate almost anyone; even a loud, habitually late, ego-driven folk singer/"teddy bear" dude.

* He'll be missed by many, including me.

Let's all treasure the time we have with those we care about.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 07-21-2010).]

#89175 - 07/21/10 06:31 AM Re: Long-time music partner died Sunday...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Russ,

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. He sounded like a real character. Thanks for sharing a brief insight to who Preston Weber was. It's great to have stories like these and to keep sharing them because it keeps those who have moved on with us in our hearts.

Dave

#89176 - 07/23/10 08:00 AM Re: Long-time music partner died Sunday...

About 30 people at the funeral...15 family members. 10 from the music business. 4 flower arrangements. That means only 5 people from the fan base came to see the most popular entertainer who ever worked the area. Filled every room he ever played-every night.

That's really sad!

Nice article in the local Herald-Leader, though.

Russ

#89177 - 07/23/10 08:35 PM Re: Long-time music partner died Sunday...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Russ, it's tough to lose your friends, especially fellow entertainers. Thanks for telling us about Preston. There is a place for musicians AND entertainers. Those that can do both are truly blessed.
BTW, you don't have to come to Louisiana for my funeral, but it would be nice if you came BEFORE that happens!
DonM

#89178 - 07/25/10 02:00 AM Re: Long-time music partner died Sunday...
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Sorry to hear about your friend, Russ.

I've learned that good-byes will always hurt, pictures will never replace having been there, memories good and bad will bring tears, and words can never replace feelings.

Regards

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#89179 - 07/27/10 06:24 AM Re: Long-time music partner died Sunday...
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend and partner.
I've worked with similar characters and they're all out of the business, whatever is left of it, now. But in retrospect good memories.

Your story reminds me of an "entertainer" I used to go see in the past and wondered how he was so popular. Played, or really banged on a Hammond and beat his foot on one pedal all night, couldn't sing but tried, and had a drummer so bad he had to keep a drum machine going with just the bass drum sound on to keep the beat. His name was "Crazy Hugie" and he packed a Holiday Inn six nights a week. His secret? "Its not always how well you play but what you play when--know your audience" He was a big jogger and we were all shocked when he died of lung cancer. No more like him.
Again, sorry for your loss and thanks for the memory

Bill in NJ

#89180 - 07/30/10 08:22 AM Re: Long-time music partner died Sunday...

Don, I'm wrestling with this hand thing. About decided to have an operation. If I do,I'll be forced to take about three months off. If that happens, I'll "hit the road", and Louisiana will be one of the first places I go. Still plan to go see Taike, and that may be the time.

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online