SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#88821 - 04/19/10 02:19 AM Some swing music for you.
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Should you feel like hearing some. It's a group in Nashville that I play with called Swing Street. We were showcased on Nashville public radio with a live performance recorded in their studio. I am playing guitar, accordion, sax and clarinet. It's original music that sounds like it could have been written in the 40's.
go to www.wpln.org
and go to the "studio C"
it'll be up for about a week.
enjoy.

#88822 - 04/19/10 09:26 AM Re: Some swing music for you.
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Studio "C" and "The Hoff" are pretty cool! Rory, I'll be checking with you soon on your schedule during summer NAMM. Looks like Chas may have a conflict in the form of a family reunion, but Logan and I are still showing up.

Russ

#88823 - 04/19/10 07:20 PM Re: Some swing music for you.
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
I dig yer chops, Rory.

Taste.

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#88824 - 04/19/10 08:01 PM Re: Some swing music for you.
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Russ,
Looking forward to seeing you and Logan this summer. That's a real bummer that Chas won't be coming. I'm getting pretty good at getting along with libs. Even hired 4 of them in the past few days for a record I'm producing. A right-wing political themed record. I'm not sure if I did it because I'm such a nice guy or because I thought it would be fun to force them to act professional as they writhed within.

#88825 - 04/20/10 08:16 AM Re: Some swing music for you.
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I KNOW you get along with libs...Logan and I are about as liberal as it gets!

I wish Chas could make it, and he may. I go to Atlanta occasionally, so I'll be able to visit him this year.

GREAT GUY, as are YOU (great sense of humor, too...BOTH OF YOU)!

See you soon....keep up the good work!

Russ

#88826 - 04/20/10 11:02 AM Re: Some swing music for you.
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
that is just so good it blows my mind. I loved every track. My kinda stuff. Jann too, she is also a retired musician.
I put up a link on my facebook page as you had put this in the public domain. There are a lot of musicians that come to my face book page for "stuff" to hear, listen to or buy.
I will buy you cd when it is available.
thanks for sharing, that is as good as it gets for me.
When we used to come to Nashville we parked the motor home in the Old Fidler's Hotel and RV Park. It was right under Ernest Tubbs record shop where they recorded the midnight Jamboree. Many of the local musicians would come after work to play in the all night jam session there in the record shop. We Could go sit in or just open all the windows in the RV and enjoy the music, live from our traveling studio home
Bebop

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 04-20-2010).]

#88827 - 04/20/10 07:16 PM Re: Some swing music for you.
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
For the record, I am a PALEOcon...
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#88828 - 04/22/10 03:32 PM Re: Some swing music for you.
Tonewheeldude Offline

thanks for the link. I like the django reinhardt and stephane grappelli sounding 'swing street' on at the moment.

#88829 - 04/23/10 10:10 PM Re: Some swing music for you.
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Russ, maybe I can meet y'all at Summer NAMM this year. I'll check the dates and my schedule.
I really only want to meet Rory, but you have the passes.

DonM

#88830 - 04/24/10 02:09 PM Re: Some swing music for you.
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by FAEbGBD:
Russ,
Looking forward to seeing you and Logan this summer. That's a real bummer that Chas won't be coming. I'm getting pretty good at getting along with libs. Even hired 4 of them in the past few days for a record I'm producing. A right-wing political themed record. I'm not sure if I did it because I'm such a nice guy or because I thought it would be fun to force them to act professional as they writhed within.

Rory, didn't know you had such a mean streak . Seriously, you're an artist, not because I say so, but because we all say so, and one thing that I've learned in own life's journey is that artists seem to have a special gift for seeing the true person and ignoring the superficial things that divide us.

Read your bio and was intrigued, especially by your description of the 'jazz experience'. To me, that's the mark of the true musician; that something doesn't have to be 'your favorite' in order to appreciate it, experience it, and try to understand it. Approached with that attitude, and the ability to understand it on a musical level, Jazz can be one of the most musically rewarding art forms.

Even more intriguing to me, though, is the ability to master more than one (dissimilar) instruments. I played for years with an incredibly talented jazz/funk guitarist who spent years trying to master the sax. He just really sucked at it and took an incredible amount of teasing from us. I know of several other cases that are similar. For some reason, they just can't seem to make that musical transition from one instrument to the other. At the moment, I am making zero progress with trying (not very hard) to learn the basics of drumming. And guitar, forget it.

Anyhoo, I'm sorry I'm not going to be able to meet you at NAMM. If DonM shows up, there should be lots of laughs . In the meantime, give those Liberals a break, they mean well . Somehow I think if you and I ruled the world, it would be from a very centrist place. I know of very few great musicians with matching IQ, who are either far left or far right. I think most of us start out dead center and are nudged one way or the other by the environment we grew up in. But remember, it's not too late; OBAMA IN 2012 .

chas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online