SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#8868 - 05/02/10 05:07 AM Home Keyboards, and why I love them so much
analogcontrolfreak Offline

I'm not sure whether to post this here or in the Bar. Nigel, if you think it needs to be moved please go ahead.

I was scanning through the archives, for some of the threads I have posted. Surprised to see they are still there. There are some I wish, would just be deleted.

Anyway, my point is this. I have gone through my share of pro keyboards, and have complained an awful lot, that I was getting no where, music wise, and that I was putting the blame on the hardware and not myself. Boy talk about stupid thinking.

Anyway, awhile back, while wandering through an antique mall, I bought a Yamaha PSS-130 mini keyboard, in a box. I think I paid $10 for it, I don't remember. It's sitting on top of a bookcase in my office. Some months latter, I found a Panasonic Transistor Radio/mini organ, for about $5.00, and just recently, I bought a Yamaha PSR-12 for around $30.00. Here's what gets me. I still have my ARP Omni, but it's in a closet, in a case. However, these three cheap home keyboards are on display? I have played my PSR-12 a few times, and have had fun with it. More so then with the omni. Maybe it's me, but I really love this crapy old, cheesy sounding keyboard. Granted it's not like any of the pro gear out there. It has no knobs, sliders, you cant program the damn thing. There is no memory, no disk drive, or even MIDI? Can't plug it into a computer. The sounds, are rather cheesy, and yet I am fascinated by this thing.

I must have been going about this all wrong. It's not pro gear, but home gear. EH! I have had home keyboards in the past, and sold them off, and yet I bought three, just recently? I must be off my rocker. Actually, I can afford to buy these cheap keyboards, then I can pro gear. Also, it could have something to so with the fact, they have auto accompaniment. Well, not the Panasonic, but the two Yamaha's. I had an SK-1 and an SK-5 as well, but sold them. Don't know why?

Okay, so I don't own a Minimoog, or any other, synthesizer, but that's okay. I think, I may have come to the realization, that I really do love old home keyboards, is that wired? Naaah, not really.

Anyway, thank you for letting me ramble on again. I'll get off my soap box now.

Cheers!

Paul

#8869 - 05/02/10 10:26 PM Re: Home Keyboards, and why I love them so much
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
No Paul this is the perfect place to post this.

#8870 - 05/03/10 03:30 AM Re: Home Keyboards, and why I love them so much

Thank You Nigel!

#8871 - 05/03/10 07:07 PM Re: Home Keyboards, and why I love them so much
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Paul,
I entirely agree with you. I sometimes get weary of the continual comments in these forums about the latest keyboard, or "my keyboard is better than yours", or that keyboard is "crap" and so on.
I would get some better enjoyment from comments on how to better use, or what music to play, or hints on better controlling keyboards, no matter that they are not the latest.
Regards to all musicmakers,
Keith

#8872 - 05/04/10 04:33 PM Re: Home Keyboards, and why I love them so much

Thank You Keith! What you have said is entirely true. That's why I left the VSE Forum. That, and the fact that, there are more younger members on that board. Most of the members on here, are my age, roughly. Plus they are more mature, then on some other boards. I have learned this the hard way. Just because something, is no longer hip, or up to date. Does not mean they are no longer any good. Face it, the cost of a new synth is expensive enough, plus the cost of some vintage gear can be expensive too.

The one thing I never did, with any of my previous keyboards, was explore them, and get the most out of them. I bet if I had, I would have not made any of the mistakes I made by getting rid of them. People should not fall prey to the latest and greatest instrument out there. I mean look at Vince Clark, of Erasure. He went back to using analog gear, because he says,"MIDI is Crap".

I agree with you also, that there should be more then just talking about keyboards, and hard & software. I feel, and this is just my opinion. There should be more about how to better, use your equipment, and what types of music you play. Even, on better controlling keyboards.

I have read my share of articles in Keyboard magazine, about musicians using older gear, and mashing things up. Like running a Rhodes Piano through a guitar Fuzz Box, or Wah Wah pedal. Even the old hardware samplers are cool too use. I had a Mirage DSK, at one time, (don't know why I sold it, other then to buy the latest thing). Anyway, I sampled a Mini Casio keyboard into it, and came up with really cool stuff. Even sampled feedback from a speaker, and got a piano like sound. The same thing holds true with software. Just because something new has come along. Does not mean your's is out of date.

There should be more about music making and playing, and also getting the most out of your gear. Leave the latest stuff, to those with money, and let the rest of use get on with making great music. Did I ever show you my PSR-12?

I really need to start listening to my own advice.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online