Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#88634 - 12/21/09 01:49 PM Tilt Shift Effect
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland

#88635 - 12/21/09 02:42 PM Re: Tilt Shift Effect
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
James, if you can, take a look at a view camera, with full tilts and swings. Here, you have one axis to play with.

View cameras with digital backs are still the standard for architectural and produt photography and when precise control of depth of field is required.

Russ

#88636 - 12/21/09 02:49 PM Re: Tilt Shift Effect
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
But where's Gulliver?

Very cool, James. I think the effect works better on photos with people, though. Landscapes and buildings look pretty much normal to me, like they're taken from a considerable distance.

Does this kind of photography require any special equipment or is it some kind of technique?

Regards

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

[This message has been edited by Taike (edited 12-22-2009).]

#88637 - 12/21/09 03:16 PM Re: Tilt Shift Effect
Irishacts Offline

Hi Russ.

Yeah one of the pro guys in the Camera Club I'm in has one. I think he paid 26 grand for it, but its for his photography business. He uses that specific camera for photographing buildings and dinner place sets for hotels and so on. Basically anything that requires the perspective to be corrected.

I think it's a 50mega pixel camera.

Regards
James

#88638 - 12/21/09 03:39 PM Re: Tilt Shift Effect
Irishacts Offline

Hi Taike.

Quote:
Very cool, James. I think the effect works better on photos with people, though. Landscapes and buildings look pretty much normal to me, like they're taken from a condirable distance.

Yeah, I agree. It will likely take me a while until I get a true understanding of what works best, but it seems that people, places where people are, streets, cars or any sort of city / people related objects work much better than landscapes.

Quote:
Does this kind of photography require any special equipment or is it some kind of technique?

You can buy a tilt shift lens that will allow your camera to take photo's like this. This is what the lens looks like.

Or you can completely fake the effect which is what I'm doing here. You just take a normal photo and in Paint Shop Pro there is a depth of field option in the menu which allows you to draw a rectangle on the image. You simply draw the rectangle in the area of the photo you wish to stay in focus and then the program applies the tilt shift effect. Takes only seconds to turn a normal shot from any camera into one of these miniaturisation photos.

One other key to taking the photo is to be on higher ground. You need to be looking down on your subject so that the perspective of miniaturisation looks far more realistic.

Cheers
James

#88639 - 12/21/09 09:07 PM Re: Tilt Shift Effect
Taike Offline

Thank you for explaining this, James.

Funny that I mentioned Gulliver because as I was reading the paper later on I found out that he's in Taiwan.

Here he's in Taichung
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8x5ai_giant-gulliver-stranded-in-taiwan_news

and currently he's in Taipei at the CKS Memorial Center in Taipei
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dans180/4202991903/

Regards

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#88640 - 12/21/09 11:49 PM Re: Tilt Shift Effect
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Taike, you are mad.
That is not the real Gulliver, it's only a model.
The real Gulliver is drumming behind Elvis, touring Oz for "The Festive Season", they were the feature act with Andre Rieu????
Merry Christmas to you and your incredible family, and the "adopted" Russ(Captain)
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

#88641 - 12/22/09 12:05 AM Re: Tilt Shift Effect
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Irishacts,
sorry for straying off your theme,I was impressed with the photography and can see the point you are trying to achieve.
You, and everyone else, are included in my Christmas Greetings
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

#88642 - 12/22/09 01:23 AM Re: Tilt Shift Effect
Taike Offline

Even though I am a buddhist, a Merry Christmas to you too, Ray. Hey, I shouldn't forget James, Mac, Chas and Russ.

Regards

Taike

ps: my Gulliver is bigger than yours

[This message has been edited by Taike (edited 12-22-2009).]

#88643 - 12/22/09 07:05 AM Re: Tilt Shift Effect
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
James, I have two view cameras. One is a 4"x5" and the other is an 8"x10". Both are now used with a digital back. The effective meg's on the smaller one is about 110 (lots of variables), and the bigger one goes to about 180-200.

Like your friend, we use them for brochure covers, billboards and precise product photography. Unless you're shooting "direct on" a rectangular product will have prospective problems without correction, and with architectural photography, parralax correction is vital for top tier (read expensive) work.

The good news is, day rate for one qualified shooter is $2100.00, and a shooter and one assistant bills out at $2500.00.The top guys in the field get lots more than that.

Nice work!

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online