SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#86831 - 05/13/05 03:56 PM Re: Vocals almost gone
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm resting tonight, so maybe that will help.
Don

#86832 - 05/13/05 04:06 PM Re: Vocals almost gone
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Don, do the honey and lemon warm tea drink and suck on cough drops all night.

Tom, I think Don is smarter than you and me. He can do stuff besides country. He knows that country is where the money's at. Don's got Golf Clubs, lives on a Golf course, he's got a bass boat and an all brick home.

I pass a golf course on the way home. Don plays a pretty mean keyboard. He know's his stuff.

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 05-13-2005).]

#86833 - 05/13/05 08:41 PM Re: Vocals almost gone
DonM Offline

I got lucky last night. Three of this area's legendary perfomers, Bill Bush, Billy Ledbetter and Hank Bowman, all came to see me at the supper club. For more than two hours, I didn't have to sing a note! What a night, and what a pleasure to accompany these great vocalists.
Also in attendance was Mr. Stan Lewis, one of the great pioneers of the recording industry. Stan recorded many of the early country, blues and rock n' roll stars. He was a true heavy-weight in recording and record distribution.
I was fortunate enough to have my trusty Nomad Jukebox digital recorder with me and I recorded the entire evening and also took photos so I can remember the occasion and flatter myself with the memories of the night.
Nights such as this make me wish more of us from SZ could get together. I've had the pleasure of hearing Tom C., Gary D., and Boo, and they all were great. Boo does play a mean sax, and sings as well.
Of course hearing my buddy HankB is a regular thing, but friends, he is a true showman! I know Boo and Tom got to hear Hank, but I don't remember if Gary did.
I wanted to go hear Hank tonight, as he is working over in Shreveport, but I decided I need to rest more.
Later,
DonM

#86834 - 05/14/05 06:25 AM Re: Vocals almost gone
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Doctor Gary to the rescue! OK, this one is the easiest of all problems to solve. When I was a much younger man, and working 6 days a week in the broadcasting biz doing local and national news, there were times when your through was just shot to hell. I did 15 minutes of news at the top of each hour, and another 5 minutes at the bottom of the hour. That's hard on the vocal folds.

I came in one morning to begin broadcasting the news and I was down to a squeak after the first 15 minute shot. The news director said "Go to the refrigerator, take out either the jar of sour onions or dill pickles, whichever you like the best, eat one before the broadcast and you'll be just fine." HE WAS RIGHT!

I didn't understand this until years later when I worked with a top ENT surgeon who said
the vinegar and spices used to make pickles anesthestizes the vocal folds and the effect last up to 30 minutes in most instances. However, he also said when you loose your voice from overuse, this was just a short term remedy--not a cure. The cure is to gargle with warm, salt water (1 tsp. per 8 ounce glass) 4 times a day and allow your voice to rest for a few days. I've had one polyp removed from my vocal folds, and it scared the hell out of me.

I don't have to work hard to sing, I don't have to strain my voice to belt out a song, but I have a relatively deep voice, therefore not as subject to sore throat problems from overuse. But, when it does get sore, and the soreness lasts for more than a day or two, I head for the ENT doc--just to be safe. A lot of famous singers died from throat cancer--I don't want to be one of them.

Don, Make that check payable to: Doctor Gary!

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#86835 - 05/14/05 06:28 AM Re: Vocals almost gone
DonM Offline

This morning it is a full-fledged cold. Coughing, runny nose, body ache, etc. Oh well, the shows must go on. Alka Seltzer Cold, Ibuprofen--whatever's in the cabinet.
I'm leaving in 30 minutes for the first of my three jobs. This one is outdoors on a flatbed trailer. The second is at a retirement center at 5:00 and the third at the supper club at 7:30.
Later,
Don

#86836 - 05/14/05 02:51 PM Re: Vocals almost gone
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ain't self employment wonderful!

Stay healthy,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#86837 - 05/14/05 07:58 PM Re: Vocals almost gone
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Ain't self employment wonderful!
Stay healthy,
Gary

Yeah , you NEVER get a chance to call in SICK !!!
t.

#86838 - 05/14/05 08:48 PM Re: Vocals almost gone
StPatrick Offline

Loc: Bentonville, VA USA
If I have a strained voice I find 2 things help: turn the gain up on your mic so u can sing softer and not strain, and make sure your monitor is REALLY loud and clear so u can hear yourself really well for the same reason. In ear monitors are the best option if u can get used to them. (And with keyboardists you can save a bundle because you don't need a wireless version.)
If your mic is hot and you can hear yourself well, you can sing for days.

#86839 - 05/14/05 09:12 PM Re: Vocals almost gone
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Don...
Been there many times myself...and as I was playing tonight I thought about you and your 3 gigs hoping you muddled through. Throat and voice problems can really throw a damper on the party...even if no one else notices.

Eddie

#86840 - 05/14/05 09:43 PM Re: Vocals almost gone
DonM Offline

I made it through all 3 jobs. Even played a half-hour extra at the last one. Now for some zzzzzzzzz.
DonM

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online