SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#85741 - 07/13/05 02:44 PM NHL/NHLPA Reach tentative agreement!!!
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Anyone else in arranger-land glad the NHL will be back this fall?

I'm a big Pens fan stranded in Dayton. I'll be ordering the Centre ice package pretty soon, I guess.

Bill in Dayton

#85742 - 07/13/05 03:35 PM Re: NHL/NHLPA Reach tentative agreement!!!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You may find this hard to believe, but I didn't even know they weren't playing. Ice is for putting in your drink!
DonM

#85743 - 07/13/05 05:42 PM Re: NHL/NHLPA Reach tentative agreement!!!
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Hmmmmm...Let's see....
Am I glad to see that some goon is still making $1.8 million to see if he can put some poor shmuck through a 4" wall.

....?
....?

....?...No
It's a Game.....only most of todays players don't have the skills or insight to play it the way it was intended.
It's WWF on ice. That's all.

...and I'm in Canada...where it used to be a game to be proud of.
In all honesty...I never missed it.
CFL Rules!!
.... of course....
That's just my opinion....I could be wrong?

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 07-13-2005).]

#85744 - 07/13/05 06:17 PM Re: NHL/NHLPA Reach tentative agreement!!!
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Bah!

When's the last game you watched?

Other than Mr. Bertuzzi at the end of the last regular season, goonery has dropped year after year in the NHL.

I agree that in recent years defensive strategies have removed much of the ebb & flow from the game, it seems based on consistant media reports that a new set of rule changes directly aiming at improving the speed and offense of the game.

I was lucky to live in Pittsburgh up until about 15 years ago...so I got to see Mario Lemieux, Paul Coffey, Ron Francis, etc. do their thing for a few years...and it was something to see.

With some improvements, it can be a terrific game again...

Bill in Dayton

#85745 - 07/13/05 09:43 PM Re: NHL/NHLPA Reach tentative agreement!!!
shboom Offline

Up until the player's strike, lockout, whatever you wish to call it, I was a Die-Hard Vancouver Canucks fan...Big Time.
I remember when there was six teams....to me, that was hockey. Incredible skills, everyone was a "team player", okay, Ferguson from The Montreal Canadiens was a bozo, but apart from that, it was great to watch. Now it seems, the skills have gone, with the exception of a handful, and the emphasis seems to be on who I can maim, or who's career I can put an end to with one boarding call.
Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe, Rocket Richard, Frank Mahovolich, Bobby Hull, Phil Espisito, Trevor Linden, Wayne Gretsky. Those guys knew how to play the game for what it was.
A fine combination, of skill, athletics, sportsmanship, and teamwork.
....just my thots....I need a beer....

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 07-14-2005).]

#85746 - 07/14/05 12:16 PM Re: NHL/NHLPA Reach tentative agreement!!!
ChuckHall Offline

Loc: Bozeman, MT USA
I love hockey as I grew up playing it. I still play it but now it's old timer's hockey. I gave up on NHL hockey some time ago and now I watch college or international hockey that are more fun to watch. NHL hockey just got boring with a defensive style that resorted to what I call "scrum" hockey. I guess it's called "cycling" but whatever you call it, it's still dump and chase to the corner and pussy foot around a while. Yawn. As shboom says, I guess I grew up when it actually was a fun game to watch. Unless they get some drastic rule changes, I'll continue to skip it. BTW, my hockey buddies feel about the same way. We watch college hockey. Spirit without the fighting.

[This message has been edited by ChuckHall (edited 07-14-2005).]

#85747 - 07/17/05 12:07 PM Re: NHL/NHLPA Reach tentative agreement!!!
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
For myself, I'll be glad when these guys get back on the ice - after all, it's a l-o-o-o-o-n-g winter up here in Edmonchuk. And I like idea of taking out the red line, the slightly bigger goals and the slightly-reduced size of goalie's pads, it'll make for a more exciting game for sure. It won't hurt either that they drop that dumb idea of getting a point for being tied at the end of regulation time.

We like the fast, open game up here - real Oiler style!!

Hey! Shboom! Go Esks, eh!! Oops, that's a dumb statement the way the Lions are shaping up this year :-)

[This message has been edited by renig (edited 07-17-2005).]

#85748 - 07/17/05 08:46 PM Re: NHL/NHLPA Reach tentative agreement!!!
shboom Offline

2 great games.
B.C. nuked Damon Allen & Toronto...and...
Eskimos ko'd Winterpeg

------------------
...shboom

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online