SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#85138 - 05/16/05 08:27 PM Take time to smell the roses...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
About 15 years ago, I developed a severe sinus infection, one that nearly proved fatal. I went to a doctor and after a week of antibiotics the infection got much worse, the pain was beyone belief and he put me in the hospital. Two weeks later he sent me home and told my wife there was nothing more he could do for me. By the end of that day the pain intensified to the point where I would mercifully pass out for a few minutes. I had my wife call an old friend, a retired doctor I worked with at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He put me in touch with another ENT surgeon and I was readmitted to the same hospital I was discharged from that morning. Two days later, Sunday at 7 a.m. surgery was performed, and by the next day the pain was gone. I spent another week in the hospital and was sent home to fully recover.

The surgeon, who I also worked with at Johns Hopkins Hospital in previous years, saved my life. Had he not performed the surgery I would not have been alive the following Monday, and I was told this by others who reviewed the case. A few months ago, the surgeon that saved my life was confronted with a life threatening disease, only this time it was inoperable and he is the patient. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do for John medically, and he can no longer drive because he is slowly going blind. Therefore, today, when I finished my Monday newspaper column, I drove to Johns home, picked him up and took him fishing at a local pond.

While we were driving back from the pond he said "You know, this really made my day and the rest of this week a lot more bearable. You don't really know how much I appreciate you thinking of me and taking me on this trip."

The bottom line is none of us are here forever, but while we are, take some time and smell the roses. Do something nice for someone else, even if it takes a day or your time to do it. John's life is hanging on by a very thin thread, and we both know it. I don't know how much time we will have to go fishing together, but as long as he is able to ride with me, I guess I'll be taking him fishing. Just thought I would pass this along to those who think they're too busy making a living to smell the roses once in a while.

Gary

John with a hefty crappie that smacked a wet fly.

An average size bluegill from the pond, one of about 80 we caught in less than 2 hours using fly rods.

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 05-16-2005).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#85139 - 05/16/05 08:40 PM Re: Take time to smell the roses...
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
A very moving sentiment Gary. Definitely food for thought. My warmest wishes to your friend John, and to you, to enjoy every day he's given.

------------------
...shboom

#85140 - 05/16/05 08:49 PM Re: Take time to smell the roses...
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Gary...I diddo everything that Shaboom said
with a God Bless You with it.....you are so right....
Tony Rome

#85141 - 05/17/05 06:48 AM Re: Take time to smell the roses...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Yep and you're a good guy for doing it. What a trip! That must've been tremendously fun for him. Actually, if you hadn't caught anything, it would have been fun. Way to go.

Gary, that is quite a story about you. Did you just mysteriously get this infection like any other infection or was it something unusual? How did the surgeon save you? I've never heard of this type of thing. Wow.

#85142 - 05/17/05 07:48 AM Re: Take time to smell the roses...
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Great post, Gary... thanks for sharing.

Glenn

#85143 - 05/17/05 08:08 AM Re: Take time to smell the roses...
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Gar:

A beautiful wake up reminder, from the Heart a Thank you.....Pose

Hey you sure take some nice pics!

#85144 - 05/17/05 09:11 AM Re: Take time to smell the roses...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks for the replys guys. Bill, it began as a minor head cold, sniffles, etc. Then the telltale signs of a sinus infection sent me to the first doctor, who put me on anitbiotics--they didn't work.

Keep in mind there is only a very thin layer of bone between your sinus' and your meningae, which surrounds your brain. When the infection became severe, it began eating away that thin layer of bone, which is what caused the pain. Had the infection made it all the way through the bone, which it would have done in just one or two more days without surgical intervention by the second doctor, it would have resulted in meningitus. Most folks do not survive infectious meningitus. I dodged a big bullet!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#85145 - 05/17/05 10:09 AM Re: Take time to smell the roses...
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
the train journey of life certainly can be a bumpy ride,and it,s nice now and again that we can pause the train and FEEL the grass with someone,rather than watching it go by,maybe we should PAUSE the train more often,mike

#85146 - 05/17/05 10:12 AM Re: Take time to smell the roses...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary .. a beautiful story, about a beautiful deed, performed by a beautiful person ...
t.

#85147 - 05/17/05 11:08 AM Re: Take time to smell the roses...
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
I think there will be some more hope for the human beings...

Great story, Gary!
May there be much more of those people like you!
I hope your friend will have as much wellness as he can get out of his life...
Best Regards, Danny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online