SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#85038 - 03/15/06 07:28 AM This weekend ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Well, mutli-cultural weekend is here ... St. Pat's on Friday and St. Joe's on Sunday ...
St. Pat must have a strong lobby, since there was special dispensation given to allow Catholics to eat meat this Friday ... While I use to enjoy the Irish Step Dancers and Pipers when I played St. Pat's nights with the band all those years, I could never get into the 'corned beef and cabbage' thing ...
But St. Joe's, with the ZEPPOLES ... that's a WHOLE OTHER THING !!! ... The ABSOLUTE WORLD'S BEST are made in a little Italian Bakery in Staten Island - "Buono's Bakery" on Hylan Blvd. ... to avoid the holiday rush they start baking and selling them right after Valentine's Day !!! ... the line out the door is well worth the wait ... ...
Buona Festa !!!
t.

#85039 - 03/18/06 07:20 PM Re: This weekend ...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Buona festa Tony. Since my name is Joe, I celebrate St. Joseph's day too. That food sure sounds good, but I'm a little too far south of Staten Island. Maybe next year.

Ciao,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#85040 - 03/19/06 10:15 AM Re: This weekend ...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Buona Festa to you too!!

I wish I could still eat those Zeppoles, but I have to watch that Cholestrol. It kinda stinks not eating traditional dishes of your own culture.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#85041 - 03/20/06 09:19 AM Re: This weekend ...
tony mads usa Offline

Al ... I HAD to allow myself ONE !!! ...

The problem is worsened by the fact that my Sicilian sister-in-law also makes the baest damn Irish Soda Bread I've EVER tasted !!!

t.

#85042 - 03/20/06 09:34 AM Re: This weekend ...
tony mads usa Offline

On Friday (St. Pat's night) I played my monthly gig at this real upscale CC in RI ... The manager told me to play my usual stuff, but throw in an Irish song every 4 - 5 songs or so ... I was doing that, and although the club was decorated in an Irish motif, I didn't think the clientele was really into it ...
Now I've played 'background' in a lot of places, but this place takes it to a new level... it's like Muzak 'live' .. ... So to amuse myself I decided to play "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" in as many different styles as possible ... I did it as a bossa, swing, cha-cha, etc. and of course a waltz ... did anyone notice ??? not that I know of ...
I think I will make my "theme" for next month be mostly Beatle tunes in other than the original styles ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 03-20-2006).]

#85043 - 03/20/06 10:44 AM Re: This weekend ...
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Tony:

When it gets really boring, I sometimes do them in a minor key also......

used to play with a piano player that was very very good, Would anounce to the audience that they were in for a treat, and have him do a feature song usually he'd do "some where my love" and really turn on the expression and it was just beautiful, "BUT" he ended every line of the song with a semitone higher and with much expression, usually woke up the audience, and would be requested for replay several times......Pose

[This message has been edited by loungelyzard (edited 03-20-2006).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online