SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#84747 - 02/09/05 10:20 AM nice jazz tunes/musicians
KN_Fan Offline

Hi all,
I was just browsing the Amazon.com the other day and found two jazz musicians who I think are pretty cool.

Jamie Cullum and Michael Cincotti (I think I got the name right). Of course, Diana Krall and Harry Connick also.

Any other suggestions on who I should watch out for? I'm also looking for similar type of song..but with happy theme.

I got a little progress with my Triton Studio, I'm trying things out now.

Jonas-

#84748 - 02/09/05 10:38 AM Re: nice jazz tunes/musicians
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
KN ..... I believe it is 'Peter' Cincotti ... You may want to give a listen to Michael Buble ...
Jamie Cullum appeared at the JVC Jazz Festival in Newport RI this past summer ... I can't really judge his singing or playing as I was unfortunately distracted by his "act" which included taking off his shoes and pounding on the keys with his feet, jumping on the top of the piano, etc. while performing "I get a kick out of you" ... couldn't help but wonder what else he was getting a 'kick' out of at the time ... and I CERTAINLY wouldn't have wanted to be the next performer to play that piano ... I realize that perhaps jazz has to change somewhat to attract a young audience, but if this is the road it is going to take, I'll stick with my old vinyl albums of the great masters ...
t.

#84749 - 02/09/05 10:47 AM Re: nice jazz tunes/musicians
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Jammie Cullum is fantastic and inovative!

There is quite a number of key artists in jazz, that are almost mandory to listen to (for those in love with jazz, of course) for what they've done for the jazz music. My personal favorite jazz musician is the pianist Tommy Flanagan. I have every CD he recorded, and I was very lucky to listen to him live in Paris, in an intimate concert in a hotel bassment during the 90's, when his health appeared to be in decline.
There are two not-very-known jazz pianists, that I love very much: Lynne Arriale (http://www.lynnearriale.com/) and Eliane Elias (http://www.elianeelias.com/). The later is a brasilian pianist and singer established in the USA. Another one I really like is Denny Zeitlin (http://www.dennyzeitlin.com/), a psychiatrist with a serious path in jazz.

-- José.

[This message has been edited by Route 66 (edited 02-09-2005).]

#84750 - 02/09/05 11:15 AM Re: nice jazz tunes/musicians
KN_Fan Offline

Ah yes PETER Cincotti..not Michael

Thanks guys- keep 'em coming.

I think I might've heard of Michael Buble before, but I'll check all you guys' suggestion!

#84751 - 02/10/05 09:43 AM Re: nice jazz tunes/musicians
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I'm a big fan of Joyce Cooling http://www.joycecooling.com/

and Jeff Kashiwa http://www.jeffkashiwa.com/

very nice fresh young artists in CJAZZ

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#84752 - 02/11/05 05:14 PM Re: nice jazz tunes/musicians
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I'm familiar with all the musicians-singers you mentioned, though Buble is a singer and not a keyboard player. My favorites (in this order) are:

1) Diana Krall
2) Peter Cincotti
3) Jamie Cullum
4) Michael Buble
5) Harry Connick Jr.

Diana is not only a terrific musician to listen to but a treat for the eyes well. Both Peter Cincotti & Cullum have terrific chops but Cullum has more powerfully dynamic vocal cords & better singer imo, though Cullum's exhuberant ego a bit over the top (but perhaps more due to his youth than anything else. I enjoyed Michael Buble's first album (great vocal delivery), but after seeing his first video, became under impressed . . . as it came off to me as formulated (insincere) and plastic. Harry Connick's been around a long time. I actually had a chance to attend a seminar he gave here (UC Berkeley) back when I was in college, when he first hit the charts. Interestingly enough, it was my vocal coach (Jackie Hairston) 's brother (George Butler, VP Sony Records at the time) who discovered & signed him onto the Sony label, and thru that connection got me into that Harry Connick seminar class. At that time Harry was pretty cocky and gave the impression that he never had a vocal lesson, which (as typically the case) just a publicity guise. I suspect that (like Cullun appears now), that many young guns in the biz tend to be overly ego-centric & cocky and then mellow with age (hopefully after 30). Even though Peter Cincotti is still in his 20's, he comes off much more humble & laid back, and I think there's a lot more depth & maturity to his playing that surpasses the other male musicians in this list. I definitely feel the above keyboard-vocal musicians are among the best up and coming current generation jazz musicians-vocalists out there. - Scott

#84753 - 02/12/05 09:30 PM Re: nice jazz tunes/musicians
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I just came from a Maynard Ferguson concert.
Maynard is one of the best, if not THE best trumpet players in the World.

He now tours with a band called Big Bop Nouveau. They are truly awsome. If ever they are in your area, take my advise, and check them out....you will be absolutly stunned by their amazing musical talent. Just spectacular.

I was lucky enough to sit in the second row, and thus the ability to truly appreciate this band was observed up front and personal.

So my suggestion is to check out Maynard Ferguson. If you like pure unabashed raw brassy jazz...he's been around for a long, long time, and he's still "Got It" !

Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#84754 - 02/13/05 09:55 AM Re: nice jazz tunes/musicians
KN_Fan Offline

Ah sorry guys I should've mentioned, I'm looking more for piano jazz players since I'm a piano player myself. That's how I learn to play by listening to various artists especially the chords.

#84755 - 11/20/05 04:20 PM Re: nice jazz tunes/musicians
raymb1 Offline

Loc: Great Falls, Va
Just read this post and noted that a lot of important jazz pianists were left out.

Art Tatum
Thelonius Monk
Bill Evans
Herbie Hancock
Chick Corea
Kenny Barron
Mulgrew Miller
Billy Childs
Eldar (18 year old sensation)
Joe Zawinul
Gonzalo Rubalcabo
Michel Camillo
Danilo Perez
Eddie Palmieri
just to name a few. Later, Ray

[This message has been edited by raymb1 (edited 11-22-2005).]

#84756 - 11/20/05 10:11 PM Re: nice jazz tunes/musicians
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Joe McBride and Freddie Ravel are another couple of great jazz piano players that you should try to listen to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online