SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8469 - 12/02/07 03:57 PM Apple vs. PC
analogcontrolfreak Offline

Can anyone tell me the benifits of owning an Apple computer vs. a PC. Only, because I am thinking about buying an apple computer. I have owned a PC since 1997, and have not use an apple since 1994. So I could use some help?

Paul

#8470 - 12/02/07 08:42 PM Re: Apple vs. PC
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Speaking of hardware the new Macs are great but they are also very, very expensive. That's why some people don't like Apple.

Speaking of software now the new Intel Macs can run any software for Windows natively via Bootcamp so that pretty much renders the matter of comparing OS X to WIndows academic. When you buy a new Intel mac you can work with both mac OS X and WIndows. I'm actually tripple-booting between oS X , XP and Vista on my imac 24 nowadays.

Hey, I knew I'd find you here mman! First thing I did after getting your e-mail is check the forum. One things' for sure you always start some very cool discussions.

respect,

#8471 - 12/02/07 09:52 PM Re: Apple vs. PC
3351 Offline

P.S.

face it man. Having to fork out 3K (or possibly more) for something you are not likely to use professionally is simply ridiculous.

I strongly recommend that you try to repair and upgrade your existing PC. If that's not possible then consider buying a new PC. You really don't have to go with big brand names. In fact I just as strongly recommend that you stay away from pre-configured systems altogether. Instead, go to any computer place where you can order all the parts and have your dream PC assembled for you. That way you'll be able to get a killer PC and pay a lot less.

cheers,

#8472 - 12/03/07 04:33 AM Re: Apple vs. PC

Thanks Ed, I saw that Apple, now has the Mac Mini for $599.00. Of course, I have to suply the Monitor, and keyboard, and the mouse.

Well, I figured I would do, a decent topic, for a change.

#8473 - 12/03/07 06:27 AM Re: Apple vs. PC
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I bought a mac and couldn't get used to it. For example, All the little free or cheap programs I was used to using I couldn't find for mac. To edit midi files the way I was used to with power tracks pro ( a pretty cheap program) you had to spend big bucks to buy a comparable program on the apple.
I wanted to create a blank web page I had to use their templates. Same with the imovie and I just found all that software useless.

But to be fair I didn't want the learning curve.
It was just easier to do things the way I was used to. After using pc's for so many years I found almost nothing intuitive on the mac you had to do it their way.
I had it for a year never turned it on and ended up selling it on ebay.

#8474 - 12/03/07 06:35 AM Re: Apple vs. PC
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
P.S.
I understand they are great at some things and even though I had a mac mini I didn't have one of the intel ones.
But I agree with 3351 it would have been a lot of time and money that I was just too lazy to invest.

#8475 - 12/03/07 07:30 AM Re: Apple vs. PC
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Basically, PC's are best for data management type tasks...they work best for "left-brainers"...people who are organized and think linearly. Mac's are best for "right-brainers"...abstract thinkers. The best research and data management programs are best run on a PC. Graphics and some of the best film editing programs are Mac based. Even though, in theory, Quark and other graphics programs are available for a PC, when it comes to converting to a Mac based image setter, strange things happen (fonts change, lines are dropped, etc.).

In our business, we have to have both systems. The interconnectivity factor is getting better, but isn't quite there yet.

Would love to only have to maintain one system.

Russ

#8476 - 12/03/07 10:17 AM Re: Apple vs. PC
3351 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by analogcontrolfreak:
Thanks Ed, I saw that Apple, now has the Mac Mini for $599.00. Of course, I have to suply the Monitor, and keyboard, and the mouse.

Well, I figured I would do, a decent topic, for a change.

The new mac minis are nice. Very quiet, elegant, almost everything about the specs is decent but there's a huge drawback. graphics. ...Or I should really say no dedicated graphics hardware. Instead it uses integrated graphics and those are kind of crap. Nothing you'd want to use for games let alone video editing and suchh. Just not a graphics machine.

For the money you can build yourself a nice PC that tops Mac mini's specs. easily. At least in terms of graphics.

If you want a Mac with decent graphics then the only choices are MBP, iMac 24 and a mac Pro. None are cheap and unless you absolutely must work with OS X investing in one just doesn't do it justice.

cheers,

#8477 - 12/03/07 11:18 AM Re: Apple vs. PC
3351 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
I bought a mac and couldn't get used to it. For example, All the little free or cheap programs I was used to using I couldn't find for mac. To edit midi files the way I was used to with power tracks pro ( a pretty cheap program) you had to spend big bucks to buy a comparable program on the apple.
I wanted to create a blank web page I had to use their templates. Same with the imovie and I just found all that software useless.

But to be fair I didn't want the learning curve.
It was just easier to do things the way I was used to. After using pc's for so many years I found almost nothing intuitive on the mac you had to do it their way.
I had it for a year never turned it on and ended up selling it on ebay.

I think you've nailed it. That's exactly how I feel when trying to use Xp for music. I don't find it hard, I just can't be arsed about it.

I have a perfectly good PowerMac G5 (dual 2.7Ghz) as my main studio workhorse and it does exactly what I want it to. I'm used to Logic, I'm used to Mac OS (in fact I've been using Logic for something like 14 years now). There's just no bloody need to use anything else. Zero.
About 8 feet away from it I have my Canada computers PC. It's my gaming machine (CPU from hell, killer graphics card etc). I've never ever bothered doing any music with it. In fact its a kind of "take a break and play ****ing WOW or Stalker etc" computer. A friend even installed Sonar for me but I haven't messed with it at all. that computer is for everything but music making.

cheers,

#8478 - 12/03/07 04:38 PM Re: Apple vs. PC

Well Russ hit the nail on the head, that a Mac is for Right Brainers, which I am, and a PC is for Left Brainers. The first computer, my parents bought was an Apple IIe. (1983) The next was an Apple Macintosh IIGS, which had the pull down menus, like the first genration of Macs. Actually Ed, my parents are offereing to help me buy a Mac. So I will with one of the larger systems, plus it will be usefull for, my Graphics Communitcations Course. Besides, I hardly due much with my PC. Mostly checking Email, and visitng various BBS's. I have always, had a certian place in my heart for Apple anyway.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online