SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#84347 - 01/19/05 07:40 AM Happy newcomer
Rhody accordionist Offline

Loc: Rhode Island, USA
I have not only been enjoying this site, but have learned MORE from the discussions here regarding midi accordions and the eqiupment related to them, than I have from any of the reps. Thank you all!
I am currently looking at accordions and midi systems. Does anyone have any input about the comparisons between Limex and Ciao? I heard Ciao, but will see Limex this week-end. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#84348 - 01/19/05 08:20 AM Re: Happy newcomer
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Rhody ... WELCOME, neighbor !!! ... where abouts in li'l rhody are you? I live in East Greenwich, work in Johnston ....
t.

#84349 - 01/19/05 10:18 AM Re: Happy newcomer

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Rhody ... WELCOME, neighbor !!! ... where abouts in li'l rhody are you? I live in East Greenwich, work in Johnston ....
t.

Hello Tony...thanks for the welcome. I live in Exeter. Always nice to see fellow RI-landers!
I currently have a 70's model cordovox (I'm sure you are familiar with it?) that I used to play in a band with about 20 years ago. I need to upgrade to something new of course...trying to find a good accordion and midi system that is easy to use and has "true" samples.

Rhody

#84350 - 01/19/05 01:24 PM Re: Happy newcomer
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Howdy Rhody!
How is the market for an accordionist in your neighborhood?
Norway is a good place for you guys!
Considered moving?
Swap place with a weather sick Norwegian?
My wife would follow me to the US in a heartbeat!

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#84351 - 01/19/05 04:04 PM Re: Happy newcomer
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
Check out the Roland FR-5 and FR-7. First Digital accordian. It's awesome on paper. It should be out and about soon here in the states. Cordovox, wow that's ancient but at the time it was a technological advancement, sort of the arranger of 20 years ago. I started on the accordian and still own 4 of them. It's a wonderful instrument, the oldtimers love it and it does well at weddings during cocktail hour. Did you ever compete in local, state or the national accordian championship?

#84352 - 01/19/05 05:48 PM Re: Happy newcomer

Quote:
Originally posted by SYNTH_GUY:
Check out the Roland FR-5 and FR-7. First Digital accordian. It's awesome on paper. It should be out and about soon here in the states. Cordovox, wow that's ancient but at the time it was a technological advancement, sort of the arranger of 20 years ago. I started on the accordian and still own 4 of them. It's a wonderful instrument, the oldtimers love it and it does well at weddings during cocktail hour. Did you ever compete in local, state or the national accordian championship?

Thank you for the info, Synth. I'm trying to research everything I can before making a decision. I have not played professionally in 17 years. We (GB band)played summers in the lounge at The Ocean House (Watch Hill, RI)and other venues throughout the tri-state area. Before that, I studied classical music with Tulio Gasperini and was fortunate enough to win the RI state championship in 1978. After that I competed in northeastern and US competitions. It was a wonderful time in my life....can't wait to get my new equipment and possibly "play out" again!

#84353 - 01/19/05 08:32 PM Re: Happy newcomer
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhody accordionist:
Thank you for the info, Synth. I'm trying to research everything I can before making a decision. I have not played professionally in 17 years. We (GB band)played summers in the lounge at The Ocean House (Watch Hill, RI)and other venues throughout the tri-state area. Before that, I studied classical music with Tulio Gasperini and was fortunate enough to win the RI state championship in 1978. After that I competed in northeastern and US competitions. It was a wonderful time in my life....can't wait to get my new equipment and possibly "play out" again!

That's great. I will never forget my adventures with the accordian. I studied under Molinaro. I competed and won CT state, northeastern and went on to win the AAA United States Championship in Harrisburg, PA. Too bad the accordian isn't that popular here in the states, if it was else where I and even you with a state championship would have agents hounding us. I play several instruments now, I actually played with big names on keyboards and believe it or not the accordian was used in the background on two recordings, from what I remember and one thing that keyboard and piano background guys ask me all the time is how did you get so fast. Only an accordian player can run those keys. I'm glad your getting back into music I wish you the best of luck, you'll love it I'm sure, there is lots of money to be made if you play your cards right.

#84354 - 01/20/05 06:16 AM Re: Happy newcomer

Quote:
Originally posted by SYNTH_GUY:

That's great. I will never forget my adventures with the accordian. I studied under Molinaro. I competed and won CT state, northeastern and went on to win the AAA United States Championship in Harrisburg, PA. Too bad the accordian isn't that popular here in the states, if it was else where I and even you with a state championship would have agents hounding us. I play several instruments now, I actually played with big names on keyboards and believe it or not the accordian was used in the background on two recordings, from what I remember and one thing that keyboard and piano background guys ask me all the time is how did you get so fast. Only an accordian player can run those keys. I'm glad your getting back into music I wish you the best of luck, you'll love it I'm sure, there is lots of money to be made if you play your cards right.

Thank you for the well wishes. I agree with you about the differences regarding recognition of accordion players. Back then, RI College had a hard time accepting the accordion as a performance instrument. Maybe enough people don't aspire to play classical on it? Not sure. Yes, Europeans definately have a different concept than we do. I'm glad J. Sommers and some others have succeeded in trying to change our views.
p.s. Did you compete in Wash DC nationals in '76? I'm pretty sure that was the year it was held there...if so, we probably competed in the same categories...lol.

#84355 - 01/20/05 11:32 AM Re: Happy newcomer
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Well, I obviously pre-date you guys, as I was in the national competitions (but not as a soloist) in the early 60's ... I studied under Anthony Ettore, whose brother, Eugene was a virtuoso accordionist ... Our accordion orchestra played Carnegie Hall in NYC, with Carmen Carozza (also an accordion virtuoso)as guest soloist.
I was living in Staten Island NY at the time ... In some of the later years, there was another studio, I believe it was the Staten Island Accordion School, under Frank Busso, that also competed in the Nationals.
Frank and I studied under Ettore at the same time....

Rhody ... I think someone asked, but I'm not sure I saw a response .. Is there much demand for accordion? I also have a Cordovox (which has long since been retired) It is the 'single cabinet' model ... Interested for parts/back-up? ...when you get back to playing, let me know ...

Synth-Guy ... please spell it accordi o n ....

t.

#84356 - 01/20/05 01:58 PM Re: Happy newcomer

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Well, I obviously pre-date you guys, as I was in the national competitions (but not as a soloist) in the early 60's ... I studied under Anthony Ettore, whose brother, Eugene was a virtuoso accordionist ... Our accordion orchestra played Carnegie Hall in NYC, with Carmen Carozza (also an accordion virtuoso)as guest soloist.
I was living in Staten Island NY at the time ... In some of the later years, there was another studio, I believe it was the Staten Island Accordion School, under Frank Busso, that also competed in the Nationals.
Frank and I studied under Ettore at the same time....

Rhody ... I think someone asked, but I'm not sure I saw a response .. Is there much demand for accordion? I also have a Cordovox (which has long since been retired) It is the 'single cabinet' model ... Interested for parts/back-up? ...when you get back to playing, let me know ...

Synth-Guy ... please spell it accordi o n ....

t.

Hi Tony....sorry, Andre asked if there was any demand for accordionists. I haven't seen any "want" ads But no one was looking for me before and I played a lot, so I guess I'll have to see what happens.
I remember the name Frank Busso. I am pretty sure he judged some of our competitions.
Concerning the older cordovox, thank you for the offer, but I will most likely trade mine in(3 pc) when I get something new. Thanks for sharing your history....it is nice to hear.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online