SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#8428 - 01/23/05 06:19 PM Software Synthesizers
lowfrequencyoscillator Offline

Loc: atlanta , Georgia , USA
Of all the new emulators of the Minimoog , ModularMoog , Arp 2600 , CS-80 , and Arp Odyssey . Does anyone have a controller with enough knobs and sliders to keep them happy ?

#8429 - 01/27/05 12:29 PM Re: Software Synthesizers
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
The short answer is no.. I bought an M-Audio Radium controller. It has 8 assignable knobs and 8 assignable sliders.

I just don't like navigating with it or the way it feels in my hands, so instead I wind up using my Motif more often as a controller.

It has 4 assignable knobs, but each knob controls 4 different functions ( changed via a pushbutton switch ), so when I output to my softsynths, I still have 16 knobs to use, plus the mod wheel, a foot controller and a breathe controller.

It isn't quite the same as having the real thing, but for simpler synth emulations like the Korg Legacy PolySix, the Motif is more than adequate. With the more complex synth emuators, CSv80 and Moog Modular, I could use a little more.

It's a tradeoff.... and really.. I don't mind... not at all. I could never afford or likely even find hardware counterparts to some of my softsynths, and sonically, they are close enough that it hardly matters.

One thing that is really good though is that I save templates for each synth setup in FL Studio. Saves a ton of time and the midi learn function makes it pretty easy to set each synth up or modify it's controller values.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-27-2005).]

#8430 - 01/27/05 03:57 PM Re: Software Synthesizers

I guess after 22 years of using analog synthesizers , my brain is just not able to deal with setting up controller info for knobs . I also hate the fact of not enough controllers .
The sound is more than good enough though , you are right about that . I can't complain there at all .

#8431 - 01/28/05 06:42 AM Re: Software Synthesizers
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
My choice of going to all softsynths happened for a few reasons.

First, I'd like a roomful, but I cannot afford to buy every piece of hardware I've ever coveted. I have many softsynths
( mostly commercial with a few good free ones to boot ). I think if I add them all up, I spent less than I would have on a Voyager.

Second, space considerations. I have enough room in the home studio, but not when I have other musicians, their equipment, and a full drum set.

Last, I have a working knowledge of electronic repair, but I have not worked much with synths. I also have no desire to repair things any more, particularly synths. A lot of the vintage gear out there needs some work, and if it doesn't now.. eventually it probably will.

So.. I went to softsynths. Not a perfect solution at all vs hardware, but certainly the right choice for me. I live with the controller issues, and really, for simpler things like the Legacy Poly6 or MS20, almost any controller that has some assignables will do enough to keep me happy.

It's not only about vintage and analog emulations for me. Some of the sample sets I have easily outperform anything comparable in my Motif ES.

Again, the x factor for me being FL studio. It makes it so much easier to configure and save. It has it's own "midi learn" function, which saves a lot of time. You just pick your parameter, call the midi learn function up, and by touching the controller you want to assign to your chosen parameter, it sets itself up automatically.

Yep, given the choice, I'd rather have the resources and space to acquire all the hardware I want. Sincethat isn't happening anywhere in the forseeable future, softsynths are my next best option.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-28-2005).]

#8432 - 01/28/05 11:01 AM Re: Software Synthesizers

I do like the sound of these software synths . I had to teach myself to fix all the old analog gear that I have , it is getting old having to fix this stuff .

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online