SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >
Topic Options
#83952 - 04/24/05 04:28 PM Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Hey, guys! There's something I want to share with you.

After a long time of shooting one trouble after the other there will be a light at the end of the tunnel - the last tech trouble seems to be shot, so I can go on to record my CD. At least it was a small cable that made me driving crazy - an old external SCSI-I adaptor.
Now I will get one next week and then I'll start my finish. I hope it will be done in summer 2005. Wish me luck for my 1st debut album - I will need it!!!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#83953 - 04/24/05 05:53 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
AHaaha well im glad your problems are solved, unfortunatley it had to be a small stupid one! Best wishes to you on your album, I cant wait to hear some of it.

Phil

#83954 - 04/25/05 03:41 PM Re: Countdown to zero
sLOWER Offline

Loc: Zagreb, Croatia
...ohohoho...I would like to hear it when it'll be done...or maybe some demo parts...???? what kind/style of music will be?
Good luck with recording!

sLOWER

#83955 - 04/25/05 04:12 PM Re: Countdown to zero
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Danny,

Glad you were able to get things fixed. I'm really looking forward to hearing that recording.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#83956 - 04/26/05 08:20 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Thank you all for your good wishes!!!

Now I have two news - one is good and the other is less good.
At first the good info: A friend of mine came yesterday with the required SCSI cable instead of the next weekend. He wanted to help me to force the things up earlier than awaited.
Now the less good info: The cable doesn't fit - it was simply the wrong. Oh, what a missunderstanding...

Well, last week the technician of my music dealer told me that he knows a dealer for those old hardwares who might could help me. Unfortunality he was ill today but tomorrow he will be back in office. I hope I'll get him on phone then. Tomorrow I will tell you more...

Don't hallow the day before the sun went down!

But I'm still going on. I keep on rocking - never stopping!
If the time seems to be wasted then I play guitar and the things turn to light...

I don't want to change the finishing day again and again. Now I'll make nails with heads, what means that I'll complete recording with or without the SCSI thing. I will give the techs one last chance to shoot the trouble but no more. And I will help them as good as I can. But I really want to finish my work!!! For me that's the most important thing of all...

@Phil: Sorry, that I can't offer any new song for you. But if you are interested I could give you some older recordings of older songs. Tell me if you do so then I will create a download site especially for you...

@SLOWER: The style changes between hardrock, heavy metal and classic. In some songs you'll find different influences of other styles (for example blues, folk, techno). The base of my music is classic which builds the frame in which the other influences are interweaved.

@Gary: Now it seems like a little downing but we had shot so many troubles in a row that I'll tell you there's still nothing lost...
------------------
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 04-26-2005).]

#83957 - 04/30/05 04:35 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Okay, the OT discussion had delayed me for a little while. It's good to see that this (hopefully) will have an ending now. Now I'm back again to tell you what has happened...

I've got the tech of my music dealer on the phone yesterday. He told me that he will ask his hardware dealer for some old HDDs and the absolute important SCSI cable. He will call me back next week...

So, the countdown is still in progress and the recordings will start again at the end of the next week. After a 3 month break caused by so many troubles in a row I'm a little bit enervated. Since 3 days again I'm playing regular my accoustic guitar to speed up my fingers. I need to swap the whole string set on my Gibson because of the bad sounding old strings...*doing*clang*rattle*

Another nasty point are the many papers that I have to fill out yet. You know, contracts and stand-by assertions (I don't know the right terms in english) and something like that. The GEMA is a very german society...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

#83958 - 04/30/05 01:42 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hey Sheriff,
What have you got gear wise?
Besides K2000?

-ED-

#83959 - 04/30/05 03:06 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 3351:
What have you got gear wise?

Sorry, ED, but I don't really understand what you mean with 'gear'. My dictionary shows me many posibilities and they are often very different to each other. Well, some english words are really multi functionable, I'm afraid...

Do you wanna know with which equipment I'm working here? Hm, I've thought you know what I'm using...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

#83960 - 05/02/05 04:46 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Hello, guys'n'gals!!!

Yesterday we had the traditional red-letter day called "Tag der Arbeit" (engl.: day of working). So I did it and worked with a friend of mine the whole day to fix some problems. So today I have many floppy discs free for sample backups (and I guess I will need them without SCSI).

So I can start trying to connect the newer SCSI-II system with my old Atari Falcon. If this is done then my hard disc recording system will work again and that's what I need for cooperating with M.C.B.'s studio equipment (they also use a Falcon ).

Okay! All red lights turned off now!!!
I'm still waiting for the green lights...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

#83961 - 05/03/05 05:27 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Ladies and Gentlemen, the first green light is on!!!

Today I've got mail from C-LAB - they have the required cable! *yeah*
The music store's technician told me on phone today that he migh could have an old HDD of a type that I'm searching for. He'll tell me more about it tomorrow. And then I'll directly pass on you...

However, I'll proceed the recording on friday...promised...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

#83962 - 05/04/05 11:30 AM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Yup, gear means equipment.
Am I to believe that you intend to write an entire almbum using nothing but a K2000, a ten year old Atari, guitar and a POD?

Are you trying to be a hero? There's nothing wrong with writing albums with limited equipment and little bells and wistles if you are a trumpet soloist or a classical guitar player. However everything that sells today is recorded and mixed according to those things called standeards.

WHich reminds me of a story. You know, the one that starts like this:
"We're going on a bare hunt, we're not scared!"

It doesn't have a nice ending because going on a hunt and bringing no gun or a nife results in either safely but shamefully running away or else...

Now are you going retro or just making a demo album? Those things called standards link our desires and ambitions with the real world. Live up to them and you're one with the force. Try to be a hero with empty hands and you're either lucky or gone.

-ED-

#83963 - 05/04/05 12:12 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Are you trying to be a hero?

Nooo, not trying...I am!!!

Hello, ED!

What should I do else? I've got the best equipment that was ever made by humans! Why should I kick'em away?

My recording levels are sometimes better than actual recordings of big music concerns. Good music is not a question of modern sounds or instruments only but it is a question of good composing, arranging and - last but not least - playing.
To arrange my 'limited' equipment I'm using some studio effects, samples and - in a few days again - HHD tracks. I know that many musicians would ring their hands to make their recordings in my home studio because of its easy handling and strong results. I was self-astonished...

Uh, by the way, the music store's technician was ill again today. I'll phone him on friday again. It seems to be getting short...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-04-2005).]

#83964 - 05/04/05 01:34 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheriff:
Good music is not a question of modern sounds or instruments only but it is a question of good composing, arranging and - last but not least - playing.

Yes, AND it is also a matter of modern sounds/instruments. And those things called standards.

Being the Devil here, I have only one question to ask:

Do you want to do anything with your album beside completing it and playing it to your friends?

#83965 - 05/04/05 05:00 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Do you want to do anything with your album beside completing it and playing it to your friends?

Based on the fact that all my fans who will bye the CD are called 'friends' - no, I don't wanna do anything else but completing the CD and playing it for my friends...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

#83966 - 05/04/05 07:22 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Hey rock on man,
BUt if they were your true fans they'd get some cash together and get you hooked up with some decent gear. I wish you luck with the album. However, if you get a chance, get some more toys.

'til tomorrow! -ED-

#83967 - 05/05/05 02:17 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
I wish you luck with the album. However, if you get a chance, get some more toys.

Thank you for your kind wishes, ED!
Okay, like you want! If I have some more money I will buy some more gears - a drum, some percussions, a bass guitar, a twelf string accoustic guitar, a second mic for backing vocals, a real piano, and so on...
Did I left out something???

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

#83968 - 05/05/05 06:02 AM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Of coarse you forgot to mention a lot of things.
real echo chaimber for example. As well as a Kazoo, a real clavinet, a whistle, a couple of Tubas and most important of all a Pipe Organ. While you're at it, get the Waldorf Wave.

Those are the true tools of today's producers!

By the by, were you being your usual defensive and sarcastic self or do you really have a thing for real pianos?

I haven't told anyone, but I am saving up to buy a Steinway grand. I think I should give up my second job as a guitar teacher and start teaching piano.
Although, I could spend the money on getting some more gear.You know, the stuff that makes your albums sell and brings more clients to your studio?
You know, the stuf that you don't have?
That stuff!
The stuff that has at least 64 or a 128 notes polyphony, insert FX for every channel, tons of RAM, knobs and was made at least a year ago?
As well as other stuff that is capable of running software synths that you haven't even tried playing with because you haven't got the processing power to run?
Do you know what I'm talking about?
NO?

LOL!!!

C'mon bro, don't tell us you're broke!
Time to get out of the woods and start using equipment of the 21st century!

Yes, I know that you want to kick me.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 05-05-2005).]

#83969 - 05/05/05 11:15 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
...do you really have a thing for real pianos?

Yes, I have! I've played on a accordion for children as I was four years old. You know, such a plastik thing with coloured keys. This resulted in my longing for playing piano. Whenever I had have the chance to play on a piano I did it.
In the school we had have 3 grand pianos Steinway and a fantastic pipe organ like you know it from some churches. Wow, what a gigantic sound it was...that had really blast you...

Quote:
I think I should give up my second job as a guitar teacher and start teaching piano.

I guess teaching piano is more worthwhile than teaching guitar. A piano lesson would have cost me about 50.- to 70.- DM per hour instead of the 10.- DM per hour for my guitar lessons (and my teacher always played up to 2 hours with me because of the fun he had with his 'best' pupil... ).
Uh, by the way, the most modern music systems are totally overrated. The new standards which will come doesn't make anything better but only the unability to play...*SS*
Okay, that was enough!!!

I've played accoustic guitar 5 years long before I changed to electric guitar. So, my ability to play guitar is much more than the ability of the most new-aged guitarists. It was a hard lesson to play accoustic because the strings are more delicate to play.
The pick-ups of an electric guitar are too sensible for slight playing instead of an accoustic one. I can play an accoustic guitar so flammable and outfilling that you won't miss a band. I'll never reach the same level with an electric guitar...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

#83970 - 05/05/05 12:04 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Sure today's workstations are over rated. ALl one really needs is a ten year old synth and they'll have it all. The rest of us are just stupid for paying so much money for nothing.
LOL

hahm... right!

C'mon man, just because at the present you can't afford something doesn't at all mean that you don't need it or that it sucks.
ONe day when you'll have the doe, you'll get the gear and start posting about how good it is.

As musicians we drift from riding the waves of fame and glory to hitting rock bottom. I too had my share of "no cash" phazes.

But it ain't no reason to say that it all sucks!

-ED-

#83971 - 05/05/05 01:33 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

I didn't mean it so hard like you propably understood it. What I wanted to say with it was that it's really much heavier to entertain with lower materials than with higher gears.

Look, if I listen to the old rock musicians like Deep Purple, Led Zep or Uriah Heep then I know that there's so much more than only effects. NOT ALL but the most modern bands are using effects but their music has not half the fire like the old masters of rock'n'roll had have.

Another example is the pop scene where you can find thousands of (good looking) faces without the ability to sing but they ARE singing and dancing - and all at the same time. Hey, what a trick should this be if this is not playback?
A lot of Harmonizers and Vocalizers are needed to get a nice tune out of their crappy voices. Okay, you can buy those devices if you want but isn't it better to learn singing at first?

The same with guitarists. What a cool effect is it to sample the actual played solo? Hey, you can play guitar without hands...
But there are only a few masters in our world who can play their guitar like they would use this effect but without using it.

I didn't say: "Kurzweil is the best - f*** the rest!!!"

I would never say so because I also own a Yamaha V-50 and I played/programmed a Yamaha DX7 and a Kawai K1 long time ago. I've worked with an Roland Juno 106 and with an Korg MonoPoly (I've made some samples out of it for my K2k).

But in the first place you can see me as a pure guitar player. I'm happy with my Marshall top and with my four guitars. I would propably buy some more guitars (for example the 12 string accoustic western guitar or an half-accoustic jazz-guitar) but I'm really pleased with my equipment. I wanna rock not explode...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-05-2005).]

#83972 - 05/05/05 03:06 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Well, easy or not, challenge or not you will still get a much fuller sound if you add some more synths (virtual or otherwise) to your sound.

I know what you meant, but obviously being a guy with rather edgy sense of humour I love to blow things out of proportion and take certain comments to the absurd!
It is my forte! LOL

-ED-

#83973 - 05/05/05 05:42 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Well, easy or not, challenge or not you will still get a much fuller sound if you add some more synths (virtual or otherwise) to your sound.

Is this a secret hint? Ah, yet I understand!
You wanna help me with your equipment!!!
Hey, cool! When do you wanna come???

#83974 - 05/06/05 03:54 AM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Of course I'd like to help.
After all it is my job as a producer.
All I have to do is get on my private helicopter, come over and rescue yet another one-synth mix!

-ED-

#83975 - 05/06/05 06:23 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Cool! ED McGyver!!!
Build a synth out of 3 matches only and get the current from a sewing needle...

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-06-2005).]

#83976 - 05/06/05 06:36 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Okay, the last green light won't flash. Now it's friday and tonight I'll start recording again. I've got no cable and no HHD for internal use. C-LAB told me that the cable will cost 4.85 Euros but they want 10.- Euros in addition because the ordering is too low priced for them. Also they want to have 8.- Euros for shipping and 5.- Euros for collect on delivery. So I have to pay 23.- Euros plus 4.85 Euros for the cable.
Hey, it's a german factory! Why are the shipping costs so high for only one cable? Soundpool had sent me 2 DSP cables for my Falcon (each costs 10.- Euro) with one letter - their shipping costs were 4.- Euro.

I usually don't use 'collect on delivery' because it's too expensive. And 10.- Euros only for farting? No way!!!

So we'll work on without the SCSI thing...so, the 'chief' has spoken...

Hey, they don't like to see their names on my next CD I guess...hehe...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-06-2005).]

#83977 - 05/06/05 08:33 AM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Okay,
Sheriff, if you really think you can use some extra sound, bounce some of the ideas off me and I'll send you some TraX to mess with.

Looks it you will need some real help on this one.

NOw, I'm in love! IT is a G5 2.5 GB processor with 1.5GB bus speed and 8GB RAM.
I've decided to give up on using Digidesign hardware and use an Edirol interface instead.

Now, all I need to do is to start another thread and have everyone donate some cash so I can put my dream on the table.
An office table to be exact.

LOL

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 05-06-2005).]

#83978 - 05/06/05 09:01 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Looks it you will need some real help on this one.

Hmm, did you ever heard a song of Danny Barion?
Try this one: Kolonist (is not longer available now)!!!

Quote:
NOw, I'm in love! IT is a G5 2.5 GB processor with 1.5GB bus speed and 8GB RAM...

...and then TOS on it!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Now, all I need to do is to start another thread and have everyone donate some cash...

Yeah! Give me your money and I will give you music!!!
Sounds a little bit like a juke box...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-25-2005).]

#83979 - 05/06/05 11:33 AM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Hey SHeriff,
Now that I know that you like space rock as much as I once did, I can only say that for this particular style anything goes. So using K2000 and a bunch of external Fx does the trick.
I see you like lots of delay. Cool!
Even the drums have tons of delay eh?
I used to mix that way before I got consumed by film production music and pop scene. There, no extra effect gets into the mix without a fight with some bozo who's idea of FX processing is EQ, Compressor and a touch of reverb. I'm glad that people with that limited mentality are all dead by now!

So it is safe to say that I only throw huge delays on sounds by request. Myself, I only use delay lines and fake tape echo effects when I write Dance stuff (which is what I'm being asked to do most of the time).
So nowadays I do very littel rock. ON ocasion I get a band that wants to sound like U2 so I just throw a bunch of delays, tracker synths, distortion wah, heavy mod FX and a bit of analog modeling stuff and they are happy. Especially when I get the dottet eight note delay with a flange happenning on one of the channels.
Well, laugh all you want but I get payed for this stuff!

So I haven't withdrawn my offer. The only thing is, I haven't done any jamming with space rock bands in a loooong time.
Mind you the mix that I heard sounded like a band number with free running progression and basically five or six musical ideas chained together. Ideal stuff for stacking up ideas for live performance.

I assume that is what you intend to do? Play it live?
So is it safe to say that you are pretty much finished with this track and you don't intend to re-organize it into something a littel bit more structured? By that I mean put together into something with more refined progression and yet at the same time keep and emphasize the strong points of the original?

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 05-06-2005).]

#83980 - 05/07/05 05:11 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
I see you like lots of delay. Cool!
Even the drums have tons of delay eh?

Yes, but it isn't as easy as it sounds to play with two different delays at the same time. I used a big delay for the guitar and some backing tracks. I used a flanged tap delay for the drums to get a bigger room for it and the typical space sound. Both delays have their own time tunnels (repeats) which are nevertheless working together in a second rhythm harmony...

Quote:
Well, laugh all you want but I get payed for this stuff!

Hahaha...okay, I laughed the way you wanted...
But, I believe you! You can use a few instruments (maybe only one?) and make your music and it may could sound much better than thousands of instruments. Why so? Because of the thousands of effects we are using for the ONE instrument sending via further mixer channels...

Quote:
So I haven't withdrawn my offer. The only thing is, I haven't done any jamming with space rock bands in a loooong time.

Hey, I think that's not a problem because we have so much spaaaaaaaaaace...

Quote:
Mind you the mix that I heard sounded like a band number with free running progression and basically five or six musical ideas chained together. Ideal stuff for stacking up ideas for live performance.

Yes, live performance is my aim at the end. But for now I will finish my recordings. Then I'll look for some musicians who want to play some tunes together with me in a full line-up for 'tourings'...

Quote:
So is it safe to say that you are pretty much finished with this track and you don't intend to re-organize it into something a littel bit more structured?

Well, for this song there's a first copyright of the year 2001 by *RMRost. That means that this song was first composed as a title song of a computer game demo (synth version without guitar). Starting the Album "Lost In Space" brought me this song back into my mind. So, I decided to re-record this song again as the opening act but this time with guitar...
It was a little bit difficult for me to play through the flying parts without to know when exactly the drums will start to beat or when the volume of the sounds will have reached its highest level. Hey, sometimes it was really like a blind flight through the canyons...
...but nevertheless I really love it...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-07-2005).]

#83981 - 05/07/05 06:11 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Hey SHeriff,
Does this appear safe to go for: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38071&item=7320480192&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

SHould Eye? Should Eye nought?

-ED-

#83982 - 05/08/05 04:19 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

It looks like a very modern...thing!!!
What is it? I see many knobs but no instrument...

But 'XT' sounds good...wasn't it Yamaha who built the 'XT' first???
I know a friend of mine who was riding a Yamaha XT 500...

Hm, the vendor looks unexperienced to me but what are the minds behind his head? It's not easy to justify wether the vendor is Good or Evil...
[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-08-2005).]

#83983 - 05/08/05 07:03 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Okay, Zoners!

The third song of my little Album Lost In Space wasn't ready before the long break. Now, Planet Outpost is in progress again. All synths and effects are re-connected to the mixer and I'm really glad to say to you: "YEEEAAAAHHH!!!!!!!!"

#83984 - 05/09/05 05:52 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

It sure does look very yellow....
Orangie yellowish and big too....
Features wise it is the best of Waldorf Wave and Q synths in one box.
With all the knobs. ALl those knobs that might break and since Waldorf is no more I'll be screwed!
Darn, I'd go for this baby in no time if it wasn't for the fact that it's coming from the States and has no tech support what so ever.

I've got the Micro Q which has about half it's features and that's what I should probably stick with.

OH, this is a heart breaking decision man.

-ED-

#83985 - 05/10/05 09:36 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
OH, this is a heart breaking decision man.

Oh, ED! I feel with you...

Maybe we should build our own synth with transistors, oscillators and tubes!?!

EDIT: ...and many, many knobs and faders...

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-10-2005).]

#83986 - 05/10/05 11:41 AM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

I made up my mind. I'm sticking with my Micro Q.
I'm quite happy with it's wavetables, FM and analog modeling capabilities.
The XT is basically the same thing but with more waveforms to play with and ability to organize them into custom wavetables.

Man, I sound like I'm trying to convince myself that I've made the right choice.
I think I'll debate some more.
The bid ends in about ten hours.
Ahh!

-ED-

-ED-

#83987 - 05/10/05 12:28 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Get it and you'll have some more good wave tables but no support (only by user groups). Maybe you'll have luck and get a good device which will keep on working for many years. But then the shipping costs and the shipping risk...

On the other side...
...do you really need it? It would be a Waldorf size more away from your Steinway grand...

#83988 - 05/10/05 05:22 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Steinway shall be there anyway.
I do not think of the two with the same part of my brain. :.
Now, as lady luck has shined on me again another XT appeared locally.
The seller is just a few blocks away.
Right now I’m trying to talk them into selling it to me ASAP without me having to bid. Might cost a hundred bucks extra but what the hell!
It’s an XT and it is literally around the corner!

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 05-10-2005).]

#83989 - 05/11/05 05:43 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Cool, ED!!! A Waldorf XT in sight!!!
I'm curioused to hear some sounds of it...

Yeah! I'm drifting away now because Planet Outpost seems to grow to an really good grooving song with some mystery elements in harmony and arrangement. I think I'll get the WOW effect!!!

In such moments I really know why I has become a composer. Every time when I'm composing a song I don't know at the start where it will lead to at the end and so I'll reach the point where I'll surprise myself again and again...

#83990 - 05/11/05 06:05 AM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Planet Outpost?
Cool! Do you first come up with the name of the track and then later add the music?
I used to do that but after a while it has proven to be deceaving. I'd start writing a track called "Acid Trip" or whatever and then end up being influenced by some very attractive and strong willed female vocalist with her bizarre and self centered ideas and as a result end up writing some stupid pop track.
Okay, the hunt for XT continues. THe seller hasn't yet replied. This could either mean that I pressed something wrong on my PC again and the message didn't go through or it simply means that I will have to bid like the other mortal ones. Bidding sucks!

-ED-

#83991 - 05/11/05 06:27 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Do you first come up with the name of the track and then later add the music?

Yes, mostly I do so! Well, it's a mannerism since I'm composing on a computer. I've lost two or three times a whole new part because of power cuts caused by some construction workers outside on the street. So, I have to save them before any datas will be lost. At this point the song needs a name for saving and so I'll name it...

I don't really drift away while composing because I've a complete imagination of what I want to reach for my songs before I start doing so. That's one way of composing that I'm going. The other way is taking my guitar, playing some tunes for self-satisfaction and then reaching the point where I decide to compose a new song. The first way is a more classical based road and the second way is more based on blues and freestyles. That's the way of classics and jammers...

#83992 - 05/11/05 12:44 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Really? I no longer do that since my ideas are iratic and I'm easily influenced by the surroundings. I guess that's why I'm very good with improvising and jamming.
I always save my songs as an Autoload file for Logic. That way if I power up my Mac and boot Logic I'll be forced to work on what I was doing before. Otherwise it will get lost somewhere on my hard drive....
ONce what I'm working on becomes something worth working on I give it it's own name and treat it as an independant piece of music with it's own name, progression, properties, plan etc.
I am a big believer in brain storming and jamming. ALthough I've never just moved into creative process of writing a tune while jamming. It's as if there's a certain lag time between me playing and my brain putting it all into some kind of a structure. My best work was done after jamming for days and then getting up in the middle of the night to start incorporating new ideas and discoveries into my work.
Rarely I will actually have a clear plan of what I want to do. I find it annoying. YOu start a great trance piece and while messing with all of the sounds you get all those ideas for something totally different. I even tried saving alternate ideas while working on somehthing specific but it always proven to be useless, since I end up not going back to them after. Even if I do they just don't make sense.
So my creative process is a blend of confusion and ambiguity. WOrks though!

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 05-11-2005).]

#83993 - 05/12/05 08:36 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Well, some songs that I'm writing are also 'out of plan' but nevertheless I make them ready because this will always clear my mind. Composing in my case means that I have an aim and I'm going this way to the end.
If I would like to write (for example) 10 songs for one album they would have to be related to another. So I usually write up to 15 songs for this album and get the best 10 songs out of it. Something like that would happen...

Okay, the song Planet Outpost reaches its last third part. I only reveal that the violin has done its work and the organ sounds really mysterious...
Let me close this song and I'll be ready for the next one!!!

#83994 - 05/12/05 11:32 AM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Violin and an Organ?
Bach nostalgia?
Is it that special time of the year again?
LOL.
As soon as you have the rough mix post it. I'll make a special psycho Microwave XT remix.
Provided I have the XT by then. The seller doesn't answer my e-mails and that is not a good sign...
I do not buy from anyone who doesn't return e-mails.
Oh, no matter, there will be other oportunities.

I've been heavily tweaking the Micro Q and it is a little monster. Very rich sounding synth. Just astonishing.
Even though it doesn't have nearly as many wavetables as the Microwave and wave synths it still sounds awsome.
Huge sound. Lots of motion.
Only 256 waves to play with but with additional FM and unusual filter capabilities it blows me away. Although, what am I saying. 256 Waves is exactly half of what the Microwave XT has.
The only thing I cannot do is make my own custom wavetables.
So if getting the XT will become work - I shall find other things to spend my money on!

-ED-

#83995 - 05/12/05 12:37 PM Re: Countdown to zero
BobMiner Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA
Hi Sheriff,
Me again.

Good luck on the CD...I'll buy one.

Check ours out at www.benmartinez.com

I'm the sax player.

You can listen for free via the links on left page of MP3's

What is your recording device?

#83996 - 05/12/05 03:02 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Hi, Bob!

Nice to see that you've visited the bar...
Thank you very much for your well wishes!

The music I could hear from your homepage is very good. It's not really that what I hear the whole days long... ...but it's a kind of Jazz that I sometimes like very much. And you guys have a great line-up. The guitar, the bass, the sax, the percussions and especially the drums - a good rhythm is the heart of a band.

Some of your songs are strongly influenced by the Blues like Bob's Bit which has a very cool bass pickings combined with some good guitar sweeps, or like the last song Robo Cop which has a fantastic vintage organ sound and a strong lead guitar. Hey, Bob, who played the organ in this song? Was it the percussion player?
And last but not least your own sax playing is strong and clean. You're the leader with your instrument...that's clear to hear...
You must have many girls hangin' on your lips while playing the sax...

Oh, by the way, I couldn't find the name of the Band on your site. It sounds like you were playing a long time with your friends...
A real good work!!! Keep on Jazzing - never stopping!!!

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

#83997 - 05/12/05 03:13 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Violin and an Organ?
Bach nostalgia?
Is it that special time of the year again?
LOL.

After I have teached J.S.Bach playing his organs this question is a bit out of line, I'm afraid...
Nono, it's not like Bach, it's more like...hmm, I don't really know what it is...I think it's a little bit of all I know...

Quote:
As soon as you have the rough mix post it. I'll make a special psycho Microwave XT remix.

Wow, that would blow me away...*LOL*
But it could be interesting to try it out...

Quote:
The seller doesn't answer my e-mails and that is not a good sign...I do not buy from anyone who doesn't return e-mails.

You're a good fellow, ED! Don't trust him as long as he keeps silent!!!

#83998 - 05/12/05 08:32 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Nope, that XT seller doesn't look good. I've given up.

BTW, here's what I really want: http://www.access-music.de/events/11-2004/virusti_basics.php4

#83999 - 05/13/05 12:11 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Oh, yeah!!!

And that's what I really want: Super-Pipe-Organ !!!

At the moment I'm searching for a midi adaptor for this instrument...

#84000 - 05/13/05 01:57 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Okay man,
Here: http://www.pipeorgans.com/

Buy one for me too!

-ED-

#84001 - 05/13/05 07:53 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Hm, well, I think...your pipe is bigger than mine...hihihi...
Sorry, I couldn't resist!!!

I would really like to work with a didgeridoo. I think I remember on a sample CD with didgeridoo sounds for synths. Maybe I should buy one...

#84002 - 05/14/05 08:19 AM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Hey size doesn't matter!
At least that's what they say after you pay them.....
LOL!

-ED-

#84003 - 05/14/05 08:56 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Acknowledged, ED!!!

The countdown is still running...

...well, I think Planet Outpost starts with some latin influences but it's not really latin styled. Maybe the words Space Rock and Experimentals are better fitting ones. Maybe it's also some Dancefloor in it? Hmm, I don't know. A friend of mine called it Space Jazz. Maybe this is the best periphrasis of all...

The solo violin has some influences of the dark age folk music at the beginning. Then in further bars the violin is influenced by classic, blues and at least by spanish folk music guided by a soft accoustic guitar.

The part then turns to pipe organ. The influence is now pure classic and rock. The accoustic guitar is still guiding the song in the background. In this part the electric guitar gives the song a stronger power.

And then...back to part one...

So many words for only one thing...it's simply music!!!

I hope Planet Outpost will be ready for a take on monday. That will be a hard ride for me because I have to record this song together with Engines Of Glory in a row. Both songs are cross fading to another!!! That means over 8 minutes in a row. That's really not easy...

#84004 - 05/16/05 02:32 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Wow, the part of the elec guitar really bites me. I didn't get it today! I think I will need more time to arrange the guitar tunes. The sound is really heavy so I tended to play more metal-like.
I didn't want to sound like Y.Malmsteen or J.Satriani but the harmony and this guitar sound forced me to do so...
Now I will try to play some tunes on the accoustic guitar to find another way to go for the elec guitar. I want to stay in classical ambiente...

#84005 - 05/18/05 03:55 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

CLassical?
Are you trying to make the piece sound moody?
I'd lose the electric sound altogether or just mix it in in the background but use a classical with some deep dark reverb and some stereo spread ambience. Something I really like about the waves PS22 stereo spread. THe lows bounce to one side and the highs to another. Add a bit of frequency tracking to it and you've got a sound that blends the best of acoustic guitar with synth stereo dynamics.

Just an idea.

I find that an acoustic has some really rich qualities that an electric lacks. VIce versa but my main point is that one ofthem works where another doesn't
Especially when mixing with synth sounds like pads and motions. An electric with heavy overdrive taeks up a lot of space (Unless of coarse you try to sound like Steve Hillage and drown the sound in long dotted 8th delay and mod FX). BUt an electric as we know it and love it for it's heavy rich metallic distortion leads etc does eat up a lot of space in the mix and covers up a lot of harmonics that are easy to notice otherwise.
THe acoustic sound as you know is rather transparent and easy. It could work even better than a clean electric sound although a clean electric needs some heavy FX to get noticed in the mix.
Okay, now I'm getting into really deep stuff...

I guess you do whatever works.
Me? I've decided to go for the new Access Virus TI. With some 64 wavetables it is worth every penny.

Now, I think that the grand and the Mac can wait.
No rush.

-ED-

#84006 - 05/19/05 04:52 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Are you trying to make the piece sound moody?

Well, the picture I've formed in my mind describes a big spaceship with 50 million colonists which is docking at the space station of Planet Outpost. This will be the last chance for those who would prefer stay in human's knowing areas instead of traveling to the stars.
The colonists spaceship will stay for a month to exchange some goods and passengers. It's a situation of unsureness for many people who have to dicide it for themselves. So, the song will change between different feelings - from happiness via unsureness to desperation. But the problem is that all have to come to a point of calm and sureness. Then the next song Oxygen will start...

Quote:
Just an idea.

Well, I have sequenced the accoustic guitar. That spares a lot of trouble to me because it isn't easy for me to make accoustic recordings in my home while my neighbours are handling in their kitchens and in the staircase...

For my electric guitar part I've dicided to do a thing that I'd thought about so many times - I'm sampling my Gibson via POD as a heavy rhythm guitar. The first 6 tunes (from E to A) are made and really good. I'm using the alternate switch to change the start position in the sample. This provides me a bigger range for exertion.

I've actually included the new sound and it works...it brings the depth into the pipe organ's dark atmosphere. Now I only need the crossover to the lazy end-part. And therefore I have to go from E moll via F# moll to A moll. This harmony will flow into A dur (a special from my idol Uriah Heep). The circle will be closed now and I'll have reached the start-part again...

Quote:
I find that an acoustic has some really rich qualities that an electric lacks...

Yes, you can play it very sensible, even more sensible as you can do with a real piano (all piano players should know what this means). But for this you'll need much space to hear the fine and soft tunes of an accoustic guitar. It seems like petting the strings with tenderly fingers...wow, there's so much erotic in it... ...I think I will go now and pet one of my four wifes...

Quote:
...an electric as we know it and love it for it's heavy rich metallic distortion leads etc does eat up a lot of space in the mix and covers up a lot of harmonics that are easy to notice otherwise.

Yes, that's the reason why I murdered my Malmsteen/Satriani solo part for the deep ground...
Maybe I should take a special mix from this song - a special heavy mix!!!
It were a pity to forget this solo part because it made fun to play. I took so many guitar parts to the background in other songs because I don't want to sound like a guitar hero only. I want to make good music and the guitar is really not the only good instrument on earth...but for rock music? I think there's no better choice than the guitar...

Quote:
THe acoustic sound as you know is rather transparent and easy. It could work even better than a clean electric sound although a clean electric needs some heavy FX to get noticed in the mix.

Yep! It's the matter of the pick-ups that are not so sensible like the accoustical sound creation in the point of transparence. On the other side the pick-ups collect some noise and an amplification system can make a pick-up much more sensible. Sometimes this hurts in my head...

Quote:
Okay, now I'm getting into really deep stuff...

Comm'on! Give it to me!!!

Quote:
I guess you do whatever works.

Yes! But this song is really a hard nut for me!

Quote:
Me? I've decided to go for the new Access Virus TI. With some 64 wavetables it is worth every penny.

Hmm, I'm a little bit sensible against the word 'Virus' in the product name... [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Now, I think that the grand and the Mac can wait.

Don't wait to long, my friend! Every second in life is worth!!! [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/wink.gif[/img]
Imagine, a real grand!!! There's no better way of playing the keys...okay, maybe a church's great pipe organ... [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/wink.gif[/img]

#84007 - 05/19/05 09:43 AM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Sounds like you're really putting a lot of thought into every single part of the song. I can only admire that since myself I tend to give it all a really heavy start and by the end I sort of mellow out and start writing crap.
But that's just lately.

No! DO not tempt me with the grand. I sure want one above everything. IT is the real instrument that can hardly get outdated. It is made of wood instead of plastic. It has real hammers instead of rubber key contacts. Real strings vibrating and beating as in oppose to ****ing wavetables and filters!
Oh, why did I go the synth rout?

BUt in any case I have to wait 'til I move to a new house. That is only a couple of months away.
So meanwhile.... THe Access VIrus TI.
You're right. the name could've been less .... hmmmm.. paranoya inducing?

Because whenever I do a search for it on the web I end up with all kinds of computer virus related links...
SO unless I type in "synth" as one of the key words the search ends up with everything but the info on the new Access monster1
Hey that's what they should've called it:
The Access Monster Ti.
LOL
-ED-

#84008 - 05/20/05 06:10 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

It's not a temptation, ED! I would really like to hear you on this grand...

UPDATE: So, my 13th sample of my Gibson I've done yesterday (now I have the row from E to E) - each chord uses about 600-700 kB sample RAM and ends with a bi-directed loop for long sustains (a really heavy moving texture).
The longer I hear the new version of the organ part the more I love the new rhythm part of the elec guitar in it. Yesterday I've changed some minor elements in bass and drum lines. I think the main way was gone with this song. I will come to the end now...

P.S.: I've never heard a so good rocking synth!!!

#84009 - 05/20/05 03:05 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Hey,
Looks it like you're really putting a lot of thought into your work. I am kind of intrigued by some of what you are describing.
I used to sample rhythm guitar parts myself when Digital Audio recording was limited to DAT tapes. I couldn't quite get the guitar to sound rhythmic enough while playing to the mix so I just sampled some of the bits and triggered them from either pads or keyboard.
Man, I can't believe some of the stuff that I used to do in the 80's when digital recording was still just a rumour.

Hey, you might want to add some glissando guitar to your stuff. Especially to the Planet Outpost. By what you are describing it just cries for some spaced out sustained EBow type sound. YOu ever play glissando or an EBow by chance?
I heard you do some slow attack stuff on the guitar but it sounded like one of the FX on the POD.

I think the glissando will do a fantastic job. ALl you'll need is a long screwdriver, a guitar and some spaced out delay. bit of phaze of flange will be cool too. Steve Hillage was into that when he was writing Blue Room with the Orb.

EBow will be great too. BIg fan of EBow. Hard to play it at first but once you learn it just rocks. I even modified my pickups so the sound doesn't get cancelled out if both pick-ups are turned on. That one needs a lot of delay and mod too.
I just love playing some soft lead and ocasionally putting the EBow closer to the pick ups to get that hard sync like swell.

What I like best about the two is that it ends up sounding like guitar and yet synth like. Results are always killer.
-ED-

#84010 - 05/22/05 10:07 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Like Orson Welles told on Alan Parson's "Tales Of Mystery And Imagination"...

"Music without any sense is simply music but music combined with a pleasurefull idea is poetry!"

I loved classic from the first time on that I can remember. As a two years old boy I was fascinated by Wagner's "Sterbendem Schwan" which I saw in the tv. The ability to create pictures in the mind of the auditors with simply playing music was the next fascination I've got.
So it's natural that I'm also making such music but only with today's sound abilities...

Hmm, sometimes I'm thinking that you might could be very interested to play some tunes on my album too. You're playing guitar, aren't you?

#84011 - 05/22/05 08:48 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Hey Sherif,
My guitar playing isn't as wild as it once used to be.
There was a time when I played nothing but an electric and used nothing but heavy distortion and fuzz.
Well, those days are history. WHy?
It is simple. I got really bored with just running my fingers up and down the neck of a PRS or a GIbson with really light action playing nothing but mutated skales and tons of musical nonsense at warp speed thinking that I was making music...

So nowadays it is down to Classical, Clean electric (Hank Marvin type stuff), slow blues (sometimes with slide, but then if I really wanna go slide I just play a lap steel with open 9th tuning to make things more complicated , a bit of country acoustic (but just a bit to make my fingers work extra hard) and all the weird experimental stuff like EBow and Glissando.

I also use guitar synths and controllers to trigger my synths. Puts things into a different perspective once you get to play your favorite synth sounds using guitar strings. BIg fan of amp modeling and unique stuff like VG8/VG88 guitar modeling.

So much for an EX heavy metal lead freak...
I am also into vintage guitar sounds so I own a few old toys and spring reverbs to have more crap to worry about and maintain.

I would really prefer to just record you in my studio and make a few thousand bucks that way.

Hiring me as a musician only will suck. SInce I am a producer and I prefer to be in charge!!!
LOL

Actually I don't mind jamming and co-writing at all. That stuff is fun. ALways has been, always will be.

-ED-

#84012 - 05/23/05 04:20 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
My guitar playing isn't as wild as it once used to be...

I've paused from guitar playing for one year caused by some jobs I've done. Then my fingers were really slow but now, one year later, I'm playing faster than ever. I don't understand why I'm suddenly able to play so fast now but I feel alright with it. I wished I could have played in this way 20 years ago...

Quote:
Well, those days are history. WHy?
It is simple. I got really bored with just running my fingers up and down the neck of a PRS or a GIbson with really light action playing nothing but mutated skales and tons of musical nonsense at warp speed thinking that I was making music...

Hehe...I really understand what you mean. The most time when I'm playing skales at warp speed I'm also thinking "what a crap of music" but in a few moments there really IS the part for making light speed solos. They only have to have a sense in it and then they sound wonderful...

Normally I'm playing not sooo fast but sometimes when I'm changing from one part to another I'm playing fast crossovers but not at all. Flying tunes are also good for changing parts...

Quote:
So nowadays it is down to Classical, Clean electric (Hank Marvin type stuff), ...

From where do we have our light speed solos? From Bach and Paganini!!!

I've played clean elec guitar in some songs. Haha...I remember a story from my most hopefully band in earlier days. We had a rehearsal room in the cellar of a small youth club here in Frankfurt. Heribert, the headman of the club, was a very christian man. He allowed us to use the rehearsal room 3 times a week (each day 3.5 hours) for free.
Once a day I performed a new song with my band which started with a clean guitar picking through a chorus effect. The volume level was '0' at first then I striked the whole chord in H moll (I think it's B moll in american writing). And then I raised the volume level to maximum. So, the guitar seemed to sound like an organ.
Suddenly the door of our rehearsal room opened. Heribert came from his office one floor above down to us and he was apparently surprised because he asked "Hey, where is the keyboard player in here?". I showed him the source of this tunes and we all felt together in laughing out loud...

Quote:
...slow blues (sometimes with slide, but then if I really wanna go slide I just play a lap steel with open 9th tuning to make things more complicated ,

Bad, bad boy, ED!!!
Dirty, holy, foul and beseeching - the haunting dog of the underdocks - the phenix from the ashes. Happiness and sadness at the same time - those feelings are bursting my chest, they smash me onto the wall, they let me cry out my pain deep inside...and many more...

If you like dramatic blues themes then the last song of my actual album Tytan should be a little gem for you. In this song you may could hear my greatest idol on frets out of my playing - David Gilmour (Pink Floyd).

Quote:
a bit of country acoustic (but just a bit to make my fingers work extra hard) and all the weird experimental stuff like EBow and Glissando.

To be true I've to say that I don't know anything about EBow or Glissando. I can't really find any translations in the dictionary...
But I would really like to hear those sounds...

Country western style is a really good stuff for accoustic guitars. For those tunes I have my Yamaha 6 string western guitar with phosphor bronze strings (based on E 1st = .010 inch). I think that the phosphor bronze sounds slightly warmer than true steel strings.
But I don't play country style as a profession because it would bite the rock music I'm always playing (it's a question of image and outfit). So, I'm playing those styles mostly in sessions (Western-Jam?)...

Quote:
I also use guitar synths and controllers to trigger my synths. Puts things into a different perspective once you get to play your favorite synth sounds using guitar strings...

I remember that I was interested in guitar synths over 15 years ago. At this time I didn't play together with a synth. Since I'm playing with a synth I totally forgot my interests for guitar synths. So, I landed with the POD by Line6 and it was a great ride, yet! [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img]
I would really like to hear some guitar tunes swallowed by the guitar synth... [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
I would really prefer to just record you in my studio and make a few thousand bucks that way.

[img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] ...I'll be glad to sell two or three CDs...no hope for thousands of bucks... [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/wink.gif[/img]

Well, this production has already a contract with a studio which will make the end mix and the professional recording. After this I could need one (or more) distributor(s) for bringing the album to all music stores over the world... [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/wink.gif[/img]

I have contracts from GEMA here that I have to fill out in the near future when the recording will be finished. I'm still thinking about why the papers came so early...

Quote:
Actually I don't mind jamming and co-writing at all. That stuff is fun. ALways has been, always will be.

Well, then let's have some fun!!! Why not???
Music has to be fun at all - be it composing, be it playing, be it producing or anything else. I have so much more ideas in the back of my mind that I could do much more albums in future...and it's not only metal... [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/wink.gif[/img]

#84013 - 05/23/05 04:59 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Hi Sheriff,
I am a bit surprised that you have not had an opportunity to check out or try EBow or play glissando guitar.
Ebow is actually pretty mainstream stuff. It has been used by almost everyone starting with brave experimentalists like NEU and ending with pop electro bands like Depeche Mode and even rock bands like R.E.M.
Here’s a website for EBow: www.ebow.com

The demo sound clips are pretty lo-fi and old but they will give you the general idea of what an EBow sounds like.

Glissando is a different story. Easy to try, all you need is a steel rod and a delay line to play to. Used by many. Known by a few. Glissando Guitar was even used for some of the Apocalypse Now soundtrack. For the life of me I cannot recall which track exactly but right in the end there is this long track with what I call “A Star Trek heart beat bassline” and some weird pads. Very cool!
Anyway, the voice-like metallic sweeps in the background are done with glissando guitar.

Simply run your guitar through a good delay line with lots of feedback and bow the strings (either one or one of the first three) using a steel rod (a long screwdriver will do). Crank up the gain so the signal is not distorted and yet there is enough gain to get a decent “signal to noise”. It should be played very slowly and you have to kind of let the sound build up. Using delay is a must.
If you do everything right then you will end up with a very organic (non synthetic) and yet deep and somewhat metallic voice like texture. Almost like a lazy lead with slow
portamento rate. Impossible to emulate with a synth..
Even though a synth kind of has all of the components needed to get the glissando guitar sound right it is stil impossible due to the nature of the way the sound is controlled on a synth and the way the real guitar string responds.

Try it man, with your deep take on synthesis, sampling and writing this will be yet another thing to explore. A very lo-fi and yet rewarding sound source.

-ED-

#84014 - 05/24/05 03:16 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Okay, as far as I can see the EBow is an artifact which will be pressed on the strings but not at all together (only 3 strings at one time, I think). Pressing anything on my strings would mean that I stop the strings sounding. On the other hand I would kick the EBow away with my right hand because it fits exactly on that place where I need to lay down my hitting hand for playing guitar mutes.

Maybe I would use a bottle neck but also for this tool it's not usual to me for handling. And sometimes the strings really flatters with a bottle neck. I think I can't play it anymore...maybe modern lighters don't have the same material...

Otherwise the EBow seems to be like a random effect. I don't like random effects in music. All I play has to be repeatable. This is IMHO the way to show real potential on instruments.

Hey, at first I've thought you meant an electric violin or a saw played with a bow...

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-24-2005).]

#84015 - 05/24/05 03:28 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Glissando!!! Hmm, your explanation reminds me on some experimentals in earlier days. I took a drum stick and 'drummed' my strings. This was very heavy and rhythmic at the same time. On the other hand it killed my strings earlier than awaited...

Well, today I don't experiment with my instruments any longer because I would prefer playing them. I've noticed sometimes ago that playing the instrument will get so much more out of my talent than experimenting with noises and tunes of instruments. I don't even use a tremolo/vibrato system for my guitar because I play it with my left fingers. It's only a kind of playing...

Today I won't use an instrument in another way as that what it was made for. I'm a kind of a modern classical composer, I'm afraid!!!

#84016 - 05/24/05 07:38 AM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Are you by any chance attemting to insult my tastes in music and preferences of techniques used to express my ideas?

I do have classical traning you know. I respect music as much as anyone else who plays it.

Neither glissando nor EBow sound laughable. They are quite musical and have a very noticeable presence in the mix of other sounds.
Neither sound like a vocoded chainsaw or a reversed sample of a hairbrush banged on a mirror. We’re talking music here not experimental noise used as sound FX for cartoons.

I’m not even sure if it is fare to refer to Glissando and EBow as experimental considering the amount of times they have been successfully used and their popularity among musicians of the 20th and 21st century. THe results are only as random as you want them to be since everything you do is hundred percent repeatable.
All depends on one's ability to use those tools.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 05-24-2005).]

#84017 - 05/24/05 12:25 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

No, I'm not insulting - I'm too old to learn new technics on my guitar. I'm glad that I've reached the ability I'm actually having. I don't also learn keys anymore (okay, maybe a little bit but not as I'm playing guitar). The only guitar effects that I'm using are made for foot controlling or simply in a static setting. I don't like to play with effects while playing guitar. I do only like fast switchings between two effects if necessary.

BTW: I'm using just only ONE effect setting for my guitar through the tracks of Engines Of Glory and Planet Outpost.

If you are able to play EBow or Glissando than again you're welcome to make a track for my album...

#84018 - 05/25/05 05:13 AM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Alright.
I was also going to question the use of term “Modern Classical Composer” since it can actually mean a lot of different things.
After all there are plenty of talented and successful modern classical composers who do not consider using unconventional techniques (be it playing or writing) experimental or distasteful.
Simply because as we all know and realize there is no such thing as truly conventional or experimental.
Those are simply the terms that define a temporary stage of any self evolving process and development.
Whatever is conventional today was once unorthodox and experimental and so on.
This even applies to instruments and their development that often leads to birth of new instruments that are made to work with specific styles of playing best.

I just hope one day Gibson or PRS or even Fender come up with a fretless instrument with pick ups and sensors specifically designed to work with Glissando technique.
There have been several atemts…
In the world of today where software and computer manufacturers put their resources into development of a ****ing toilet seat with built-in internet browser anything is possible LOL.

-ED-

#84019 - 05/25/05 05:55 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Hey, ED!

Send me your email adress to #sheriff#@#rmrost.de# (remove the sharps!) then I will send you two links to different recordings of one part of my actual working - the one with my solo and the other without it. You can decide which version sounds better to you...

#84020 - 05/25/05 06:04 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

...and you're right. Then it was experimental and now it is normal. In earlier days I experimented with my instruments and nowadays I want to use what I've learned. I'm still learning new technics but not all anymore. Nowadays I tend to invite someone to play with me if he plays something interesting...

A modern classical composer...or a classical modern composer...or a modern composer for classical arts...I don't know. Words are made for spinning around...

#84021 - 05/25/05 07:25 AM Re: Countdown to zero
sLOWER Offline

...HEY,Sheriff... I would like to hear some of your songs.... ....very much....

sLOWER

#84022 - 05/25/05 08:57 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Well, I've decided to ask all of you which version is finally of the best idea. They are only test versions and not end products. Which version is better:

ALPHABETA

Your welcome to Planet Outpost, Ladies and Gentlemen! Please stop smoking and fasten your seatbelt! We will land in a few minutes...
EDIT: The link is expired since 06-11-2005 at 12:00PM!

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-30-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 06-11-2005).]

#84023 - 05/25/05 09:37 AM Re: Countdown to zero
sLOWER Offline

...for my taste - beta version is one I prefare... maybe to put some B3 sounds instead of that DX organ or what ever it is ( that's only my opinion)???? very good! maybe litle bit to dark atmosphere...

sLOWER

#84024 - 05/25/05 10:40 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Hello, sLOWER!

You mean the organ sound at the end of the track?! Yes, it's the DX7 sound engine of my Yamaha's V50 workstation (I think it's a DX7 engine). It should only facilitate the guitar sound at this part because the other instruments stopped playing. It sounds great when drawing a line under a Kurz's organ because of it's analog like sounding.

And again yes, a B3 would be very fine but at the moment my midi channels are full so this song must be pleased with the Yamaha's 'Church Organ' and my K's self-made 'Mystery' pipe organ.
The part stopped abrupt because it's still not ready...
...but I'll tell you under cover that there will be coming a bl...hmmpfff...

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-25-2005).]

#84025 - 05/27/05 06:40 AM Re: Countdown to zero
painkiller Offline

Loc: Sweden
Sheriff:
Very nice track! As a metal fan I personally like the beta version better. IMO, there is a bit too much solo guitar, but that might just be me . Also, it wouldn't hurt if that background guitar was a little bit louder.
When I heard the alpha version (or rather, the organ line that's in both of the versions), it reminded me of old video game music, which certainly isn't a bad thing.
I hope we'll hear more of this stuff .

------------------

Robert.

#84026 - 05/27/05 08:44 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Hi, Robert!

Thank you very much for appriciating my little demos. Yes, heavy metal is strong and powerful and so it's often similar to the feelings that we're getting in our lifes...

Quote:
Originally posted by painkiller:
As a metal fan I personally like the beta version better. IMO, there is a bit too much solo guitar, but that might just be me ...

Thank you for taking the time to choose a version. I've noticed ALPHA:0 and BETA:2, yet!

Yes, the solo lacks in some parts. It was only a first idea to play but the most tunes are on the right place, yet! I've also played it only 5-10 times before recording. Usually I'm practicing a song minimum 50-100 times before recording because of my unsureness in studio surrounding. For me the timing is one of the biggest problems in studio...

The reason why you think that there's too much solo in it could probably be the fact that the part you've heard IS the solo part only. There are more parts before that part and some tunes after that part. More will come and changes are possible...
Greetings, Danny

#84027 - 05/27/05 11:41 AM Re: Countdown to zero
painkiller Offline

Loc: Sweden
The reason why you think that there's too much solo in it could probably be the fact that the part you've heard IS the solo part only. There are more parts before that part and some tunes after that part. More will come and changes are possible...

LOL!
Very long solo, over 2 minutes! Anyway, the solo is good, but I think it should be shortened down a bit. Of course, I don't know what the whole track will sound like, so I don't know if shortening the solo will be good for the track, but my feeling is that it is a bit long.

Sorry for my quote, but I'm not familiar with this quoting system, so I deleted some stuff more than I wanted to .

------------------

Robert.

#84028 - 05/27/05 12:50 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Very long solo, over 2 minutes!

Yes, your right! It's really hard to play a solo 2 minutes long (maybe more). It's hard to stand the merciless metronome beat such a long time. I would be glad if I could shorten the solo but once I've started with it I can't stop anymore...*LOL*

Quote:
Of course, I don't know what the whole track will sound like,...

It's a full instrumental song. No singer, no backing voice!

The whole album will appear as a rock symphony. So, there's no voice anywhere in it. The main and leading instrument will be the guitar but not in that way like you know it by any guitar heroes like Satriani or Malmsteen. So, there will be other instruments which will lead in some parts. Also, there will be a classical surrounding for the rock line.
Unfortunality words can't explain what music can!!! So, you'll have to wait for the album's finish to get the whole imagination of the symphony.

Quote:
Sorry for my quote, but I'm not familiar with this quoting system, so I deleted some stuff more than I wanted to .

The quotes are working as BBCodes (board codes). If you type [QUOTE]original text[/QUOTE] then it appears as a quoted text. Also you'll find the codes [B]text[/B] which causes the text between both of them to appear in fat letters.

#84029 - 05/28/05 01:49 AM Re: Countdown to zero
StPatrick Offline

Loc: Bentonville, VA USA
i like both, but beta is my favorite. esp because it introduces a metal element to spice it up. but both are cool. although i don't listen to much of that type of music, i enjoyed them and i admire your playing ability. also good quality recordings.

#84030 - 05/28/05 03:06 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Thank you very much, Dan!
I appriciated your comments. I know it's sometimes not easy to hear and judge music that we don't really like. But you've made a really good job with your quote.

Your VOICE made a choice...and here we go again...
ALPHA: 0BETA: 3

...it seems to be that we have a favorite, yet!

#84031 - 05/28/05 02:04 PM Re: Countdown to zero
StPatrick Offline

Loc: Bentonville, VA USA
i didn't say that i didn't "like" that type music.... not exactly.... LOL

#84032 - 05/30/05 09:15 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Okay, I've just noticed that my provider has killed the page without informing me...
Well, it's after 06:00PM - I'll see tomorrow what I can do...

#84033 - 05/30/05 09:48 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Okay, changed the surfer!

Here's the new link to Planet Outpost!!!
EDIT: The link is expired since 06-11-2005 at 12:00PM!

The quotes are still...

ALPHA: 0BETA: 3

Comm'on guys'n'gals, make your choice!!!

#84034 - 05/30/05 02:35 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Now, that Mike have quoted for beta version too the counter state changed to...
ALPHA: 0
BETA: 4

...which strongly seems to grow into one direction!!!

#84035 - 05/30/05 04:36 PM Re: Countdown to zero
analogcontrolfreak Offline

I liked them both equally, but if I had to choose, I would go with BETA.

#84036 - 05/30/05 04:45 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Yes, Paul, I like them both too. That's the reason why I've asked you all...

Okay, now I increase the counter again one point for beta version...
ALPHA: 0
BETA: 5

If I would end now this would mean that I would have to play this hard piece of solo. You don't wanna take care of me, guys? You're killing me...
Thank you for quoting, Paul! You're a good guy!!!

#84037 - 05/30/05 05:21 PM Re: Countdown to zero
analogcontrolfreak Offline

Your Welcome Sheriff!

BTW: Sounds to me like the Alpha version was easier to play then the Beta. Just something to consider.

#84038 - 05/30/05 09:16 PM Re: Countdown to zero
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Might sound like I'm goin' against the grain here, but the Alpha was cleaner.
To me there was just too much distortion with the Beta.
..'Course...that's just my opinion.
...Play on....

------------------
...shboom

#84039 - 05/31/05 05:08 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

One more guy who won't hear a mad solo. Yes, Shboom, the alpha version includes a little less distortion because of the one left track...
On beta version there are two tracks which have a distorted guitar - one lead and one rhythm. It's hard for the mix...
But fortunality this is NOT the end mix!!!

So, I notice a little balancing to...
ALPHA: 1
BETA: 5

Thank you for quoting, Shboom! Some more voices in that direction and the solo won't bite me any longer...

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-31-2005).]

#84040 - 06/05/05 10:02 AM Re: Countdown to zero
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
I liked the beta the best, agree wish sssh little muddy,in places, final mix may clear up. But whaling geat lead guitar. Enjoyed this work, but found it stayed a little long in the first minor for my taste, but what do I know, I'm not a rocker, but have to say It was enjoyable to the ear even to non/rock fan...Great work......Pose

#84041 - 06/05/05 08:58 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Hello, Pose! I hoped to 'catch' some non-rock fans with my music but I know that the solo part of this song is not really a good example to do so. Now, that it seems I have to play the solo, I will do my very best to optimize the end mix.

Okay, I notice your vote. So, we now have a score of...
ALPHA: 1
BETA: 6

...and that will bring me one step towards the solo again. Well, I think I will start to practice this part...

Thank you for voting, Pose! Every voice is counting...

#84042 - 06/06/05 12:36 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Thank you very much for your vote, Carrie!
I know it's a little bit hard to decide (I'm perspiring since about two weeks!). But your vote is done and your argument is really good (I've noticed it in my mind).

So, the counter state tends to balance again. We now have...
ALPHA: 2
BETA: 6

...and another one bites the solo...
...or maybe do not???

#84043 - 06/07/05 05:19 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Okidoki, Roger! I've noted your vote. It's a hard race but the score now is...
BETA: 7

...and once again the solo comes closer to me...

#84044 - 06/07/05 01:47 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Hello, Theodore! I'm really appriciated about your comments. You showed a deep insight into my solo. I've noted your idea too!!!

So, once again the counter increases to...
BETA: 8

...and that will hunt the hunter. My Gibson is grining like a Cheshire cat! I guess she will be played...

Thank you very much for your vote, Theodore!

#84045 - 06/10/05 09:15 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Thank you for voting, Phil!

Now the counter increases to...
ALPHA: 3

...and it still bites the Sheriff! *OUCH* That's me!!!

#84046 - 06/11/05 12:56 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Well, it's a little bit after high noon local time in America! The choice is over and so we have a total result:
ALPHA: 3

Okay, guys'n'gals, the most of you who did a vote here have confirmed the beta version. That means that I have to play the solo!!!

With regard to some of your very constructive critics and comments, that I really appreciated, I will partly change the solo (and some other bagatelles). I hope that I will hit your flavor a bit more...

Thanks again to all of you who invested some time for listening, judging and, at least, voting. I know that you are now waiting for more - especially for the end result of the version you have decided. The recordings will still last a while because there are some more songs to mix. If I would carefully try to do a forecast then I would say that the recordings will all be done at the end of this summer. I will constantly inform you if something new will happen...

Best regards,
Danny Barion

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online