SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#84002 - 05/14/05 08:19 AM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hey size doesn't matter!
At least that's what they say after you pay them.....
LOL!

-ED-

#84003 - 05/14/05 08:56 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Acknowledged, ED!!!

The countdown is still running...

...well, I think Planet Outpost starts with some latin influences but it's not really latin styled. Maybe the words Space Rock and Experimentals are better fitting ones. Maybe it's also some Dancefloor in it? Hmm, I don't know. A friend of mine called it Space Jazz. Maybe this is the best periphrasis of all...

The solo violin has some influences of the dark age folk music at the beginning. Then in further bars the violin is influenced by classic, blues and at least by spanish folk music guided by a soft accoustic guitar.

The part then turns to pipe organ. The influence is now pure classic and rock. The accoustic guitar is still guiding the song in the background. In this part the electric guitar gives the song a stronger power.

And then...back to part one...

So many words for only one thing...it's simply music!!!

I hope Planet Outpost will be ready for a take on monday. That will be a hard ride for me because I have to record this song together with Engines Of Glory in a row. Both songs are cross fading to another!!! That means over 8 minutes in a row. That's really not easy...

#84004 - 05/16/05 02:32 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Wow, the part of the elec guitar really bites me. I didn't get it today! I think I will need more time to arrange the guitar tunes. The sound is really heavy so I tended to play more metal-like.
I didn't want to sound like Y.Malmsteen or J.Satriani but the harmony and this guitar sound forced me to do so...
Now I will try to play some tunes on the accoustic guitar to find another way to go for the elec guitar. I want to stay in classical ambiente...

#84005 - 05/18/05 03:55 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

CLassical?
Are you trying to make the piece sound moody?
I'd lose the electric sound altogether or just mix it in in the background but use a classical with some deep dark reverb and some stereo spread ambience. Something I really like about the waves PS22 stereo spread. THe lows bounce to one side and the highs to another. Add a bit of frequency tracking to it and you've got a sound that blends the best of acoustic guitar with synth stereo dynamics.

Just an idea.

I find that an acoustic has some really rich qualities that an electric lacks. VIce versa but my main point is that one ofthem works where another doesn't
Especially when mixing with synth sounds like pads and motions. An electric with heavy overdrive taeks up a lot of space (Unless of coarse you try to sound like Steve Hillage and drown the sound in long dotted 8th delay and mod FX). BUt an electric as we know it and love it for it's heavy rich metallic distortion leads etc does eat up a lot of space in the mix and covers up a lot of harmonics that are easy to notice otherwise.
THe acoustic sound as you know is rather transparent and easy. It could work even better than a clean electric sound although a clean electric needs some heavy FX to get noticed in the mix.
Okay, now I'm getting into really deep stuff...

I guess you do whatever works.
Me? I've decided to go for the new Access Virus TI. With some 64 wavetables it is worth every penny.

Now, I think that the grand and the Mac can wait.
No rush.

-ED-

#84006 - 05/19/05 04:52 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 3351:
Are you trying to make the piece sound moody?

Well, the picture I've formed in my mind describes a big spaceship with 50 million colonists which is docking at the space station of Planet Outpost. This will be the last chance for those who would prefer stay in human's knowing areas instead of traveling to the stars.
The colonists spaceship will stay for a month to exchange some goods and passengers. It's a situation of unsureness for many people who have to dicide it for themselves. So, the song will change between different feelings - from happiness via unsureness to desperation. But the problem is that all have to come to a point of calm and sureness. Then the next song Oxygen will start...

Quote:
Just an idea.

Well, I have sequenced the accoustic guitar. That spares a lot of trouble to me because it isn't easy for me to make accoustic recordings in my home while my neighbours are handling in their kitchens and in the staircase...

For my electric guitar part I've dicided to do a thing that I'd thought about so many times - I'm sampling my Gibson via POD as a heavy rhythm guitar. The first 6 tunes (from E to A) are made and really good. I'm using the alternate switch to change the start position in the sample. This provides me a bigger range for exertion.

I've actually included the new sound and it works...it brings the depth into the pipe organ's dark atmosphere. Now I only need the crossover to the lazy end-part. And therefore I have to go from E moll via F# moll to A moll. This harmony will flow into A dur (a special from my idol Uriah Heep). The circle will be closed now and I'll have reached the start-part again...

Quote:
I find that an acoustic has some really rich qualities that an electric lacks...

Yes, you can play it very sensible, even more sensible as you can do with a real piano (all piano players should know what this means). But for this you'll need much space to hear the fine and soft tunes of an accoustic guitar. It seems like petting the strings with tenderly fingers...wow, there's so much erotic in it... ...I think I will go now and pet one of my four wifes...

Quote:
...an electric as we know it and love it for it's heavy rich metallic distortion leads etc does eat up a lot of space in the mix and covers up a lot of harmonics that are easy to notice otherwise.

Yes, that's the reason why I murdered my Malmsteen/Satriani solo part for the deep ground...
Maybe I should take a special mix from this song - a special heavy mix!!!
It were a pity to forget this solo part because it made fun to play. I took so many guitar parts to the background in other songs because I don't want to sound like a guitar hero only. I want to make good music and the guitar is really not the only good instrument on earth...but for rock music? I think there's no better choice than the guitar...

Quote:
THe acoustic sound as you know is rather transparent and easy. It could work even better than a clean electric sound although a clean electric needs some heavy FX to get noticed in the mix.

Yep! It's the matter of the pick-ups that are not so sensible like the accoustical sound creation in the point of transparence. On the other side the pick-ups collect some noise and an amplification system can make a pick-up much more sensible. Sometimes this hurts in my head...

Quote:
Okay, now I'm getting into really deep stuff...

Comm'on! Give it to me!!!

Quote:
I guess you do whatever works.

Yes! But this song is really a hard nut for me!

Quote:
Me? I've decided to go for the new Access Virus TI. With some 64 wavetables it is worth every penny.

Hmm, I'm a little bit sensible against the word 'Virus' in the product name... [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Now, I think that the grand and the Mac can wait.

Don't wait to long, my friend! Every second in life is worth!!! [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/wink.gif[/img]
Imagine, a real grand!!! There's no better way of playing the keys...okay, maybe a church's great pipe organ... [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/wink.gif[/img]

#84007 - 05/19/05 09:43 AM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Sounds like you're really putting a lot of thought into every single part of the song. I can only admire that since myself I tend to give it all a really heavy start and by the end I sort of mellow out and start writing crap.
But that's just lately.

No! DO not tempt me with the grand. I sure want one above everything. IT is the real instrument that can hardly get outdated. It is made of wood instead of plastic. It has real hammers instead of rubber key contacts. Real strings vibrating and beating as in oppose to ****ing wavetables and filters!
Oh, why did I go the synth rout?

BUt in any case I have to wait 'til I move to a new house. That is only a couple of months away.
So meanwhile.... THe Access VIrus TI.
You're right. the name could've been less .... hmmmm.. paranoya inducing?

Because whenever I do a search for it on the web I end up with all kinds of computer virus related links...
SO unless I type in "synth" as one of the key words the search ends up with everything but the info on the new Access monster1
Hey that's what they should've called it:
The Access Monster Ti.
LOL
-ED-

#84008 - 05/20/05 06:10 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

It's not a temptation, ED! I would really like to hear you on this grand...

UPDATE: So, my 13th sample of my Gibson I've done yesterday (now I have the row from E to E) - each chord uses about 600-700 kB sample RAM and ends with a bi-directed loop for long sustains (a really heavy moving texture).
The longer I hear the new version of the organ part the more I love the new rhythm part of the elec guitar in it. Yesterday I've changed some minor elements in bass and drum lines. I think the main way was gone with this song. I will come to the end now...

P.S.: I've never heard a so good rocking synth!!!

#84009 - 05/20/05 03:05 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Hey,
Looks it like you're really putting a lot of thought into your work. I am kind of intrigued by some of what you are describing.
I used to sample rhythm guitar parts myself when Digital Audio recording was limited to DAT tapes. I couldn't quite get the guitar to sound rhythmic enough while playing to the mix so I just sampled some of the bits and triggered them from either pads or keyboard.
Man, I can't believe some of the stuff that I used to do in the 80's when digital recording was still just a rumour.

Hey, you might want to add some glissando guitar to your stuff. Especially to the Planet Outpost. By what you are describing it just cries for some spaced out sustained EBow type sound. YOu ever play glissando or an EBow by chance?
I heard you do some slow attack stuff on the guitar but it sounded like one of the FX on the POD.

I think the glissando will do a fantastic job. ALl you'll need is a long screwdriver, a guitar and some spaced out delay. bit of phaze of flange will be cool too. Steve Hillage was into that when he was writing Blue Room with the Orb.

EBow will be great too. BIg fan of EBow. Hard to play it at first but once you learn it just rocks. I even modified my pickups so the sound doesn't get cancelled out if both pick-ups are turned on. That one needs a lot of delay and mod too.
I just love playing some soft lead and ocasionally putting the EBow closer to the pick ups to get that hard sync like swell.

What I like best about the two is that it ends up sounding like guitar and yet synth like. Results are always killer.
-ED-

#84010 - 05/22/05 10:07 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Like Orson Welles told on Alan Parson's "Tales Of Mystery And Imagination"...

"Music without any sense is simply music but music combined with a pleasurefull idea is poetry!"

I loved classic from the first time on that I can remember. As a two years old boy I was fascinated by Wagner's "Sterbendem Schwan" which I saw in the tv. The ability to create pictures in the mind of the auditors with simply playing music was the next fascination I've got.
So it's natural that I'm also making such music but only with today's sound abilities...

Hmm, sometimes I'm thinking that you might could be very interested to play some tunes on my album too. You're playing guitar, aren't you?

#84011 - 05/22/05 08:48 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Hey Sherif,
My guitar playing isn't as wild as it once used to be.
There was a time when I played nothing but an electric and used nothing but heavy distortion and fuzz.
Well, those days are history. WHy?
It is simple. I got really bored with just running my fingers up and down the neck of a PRS or a GIbson with really light action playing nothing but mutated skales and tons of musical nonsense at warp speed thinking that I was making music...

So nowadays it is down to Classical, Clean electric (Hank Marvin type stuff), slow blues (sometimes with slide, but then if I really wanna go slide I just play a lap steel with open 9th tuning to make things more complicated , a bit of country acoustic (but just a bit to make my fingers work extra hard) and all the weird experimental stuff like EBow and Glissando.

I also use guitar synths and controllers to trigger my synths. Puts things into a different perspective once you get to play your favorite synth sounds using guitar strings. BIg fan of amp modeling and unique stuff like VG8/VG88 guitar modeling.

So much for an EX heavy metal lead freak...
I am also into vintage guitar sounds so I own a few old toys and spring reverbs to have more crap to worry about and maintain.

I would really prefer to just record you in my studio and make a few thousand bucks that way.

Hiring me as a musician only will suck. SInce I am a producer and I prefer to be in charge!!!
LOL

Actually I don't mind jamming and co-writing at all. That stuff is fun. ALways has been, always will be.

-ED-

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online