SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 9 10 >
Topic Options
#83962 - 05/04/05 11:30 AM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Yup, gear means equipment.
Am I to believe that you intend to write an entire almbum using nothing but a K2000, a ten year old Atari, guitar and a POD?

Are you trying to be a hero? There's nothing wrong with writing albums with limited equipment and little bells and wistles if you are a trumpet soloist or a classical guitar player. However everything that sells today is recorded and mixed according to those things called standeards.

WHich reminds me of a story. You know, the one that starts like this:
"We're going on a bare hunt, we're not scared!"

It doesn't have a nice ending because going on a hunt and bringing no gun or a nife results in either safely but shamefully running away or else...

Now are you going retro or just making a demo album? Those things called standards link our desires and ambitions with the real world. Live up to them and you're one with the force. Try to be a hero with empty hands and you're either lucky or gone.

-ED-

#83963 - 05/04/05 12:12 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by 3351:
Are you trying to be a hero?

Nooo, not trying...I am!!!

Hello, ED!

What should I do else? I've got the best equipment that was ever made by humans! Why should I kick'em away?

My recording levels are sometimes better than actual recordings of big music concerns. Good music is not a question of modern sounds or instruments only but it is a question of good composing, arranging and - last but not least - playing.
To arrange my 'limited' equipment I'm using some studio effects, samples and - in a few days again - HHD tracks. I know that many musicians would ring their hands to make their recordings in my home studio because of its easy handling and strong results. I was self-astonished...

Uh, by the way, the music store's technician was ill again today. I'll phone him on friday again. It seems to be getting short...

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-04-2005).]

#83964 - 05/04/05 01:34 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheriff:
Good music is not a question of modern sounds or instruments only but it is a question of good composing, arranging and - last but not least - playing.

Yes, AND it is also a matter of modern sounds/instruments. And those things called standards.

Being the Devil here, I have only one question to ask:

Do you want to do anything with your album beside completing it and playing it to your friends?

#83965 - 05/04/05 05:00 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Do you want to do anything with your album beside completing it and playing it to your friends?

Based on the fact that all my fans who will bye the CD are called 'friends' - no, I don't wanna do anything else but completing the CD and playing it for my friends...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

#83966 - 05/04/05 07:22 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Hey rock on man,
BUt if they were your true fans they'd get some cash together and get you hooked up with some decent gear. I wish you luck with the album. However, if you get a chance, get some more toys.

'til tomorrow! -ED-

#83967 - 05/05/05 02:17 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
I wish you luck with the album. However, if you get a chance, get some more toys.

Thank you for your kind wishes, ED!
Okay, like you want! If I have some more money I will buy some more gears - a drum, some percussions, a bass guitar, a twelf string accoustic guitar, a second mic for backing vocals, a real piano, and so on...
Did I left out something???

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

#83968 - 05/05/05 06:02 AM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Of coarse you forgot to mention a lot of things.
real echo chaimber for example. As well as a Kazoo, a real clavinet, a whistle, a couple of Tubas and most important of all a Pipe Organ. While you're at it, get the Waldorf Wave.

Those are the true tools of today's producers!

By the by, were you being your usual defensive and sarcastic self or do you really have a thing for real pianos?

I haven't told anyone, but I am saving up to buy a Steinway grand. I think I should give up my second job as a guitar teacher and start teaching piano.
Although, I could spend the money on getting some more gear.You know, the stuff that makes your albums sell and brings more clients to your studio?
You know, the stuf that you don't have?
That stuff!
The stuff that has at least 64 or a 128 notes polyphony, insert FX for every channel, tons of RAM, knobs and was made at least a year ago?
As well as other stuff that is capable of running software synths that you haven't even tried playing with because you haven't got the processing power to run?
Do you know what I'm talking about?
NO?

LOL!!!

C'mon bro, don't tell us you're broke!
Time to get out of the woods and start using equipment of the 21st century!

Yes, I know that you want to kick me.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 05-05-2005).]

#83969 - 05/05/05 11:15 AM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
...do you really have a thing for real pianos?

Yes, I have! I've played on a accordion for children as I was four years old. You know, such a plastik thing with coloured keys. This resulted in my longing for playing piano. Whenever I had have the chance to play on a piano I did it.
In the school we had have 3 grand pianos Steinway and a fantastic pipe organ like you know it from some churches. Wow, what a gigantic sound it was...that had really blast you...

Quote:
I think I should give up my second job as a guitar teacher and start teaching piano.

I guess teaching piano is more worthwhile than teaching guitar. A piano lesson would have cost me about 50.- to 70.- DM per hour instead of the 10.- DM per hour for my guitar lessons (and my teacher always played up to 2 hours with me because of the fun he had with his 'best' pupil... ).
Uh, by the way, the most modern music systems are totally overrated. The new standards which will come doesn't make anything better but only the unability to play...*SS*
Okay, that was enough!!!

I've played accoustic guitar 5 years long before I changed to electric guitar. So, my ability to play guitar is much more than the ability of the most new-aged guitarists. It was a hard lesson to play accoustic because the strings are more delicate to play.
The pick-ups of an electric guitar are too sensible for slight playing instead of an accoustic one. I can play an accoustic guitar so flammable and outfilling that you won't miss a band. I'll never reach the same level with an electric guitar...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

#83970 - 05/05/05 12:04 PM Re: Countdown to zero
3351 Offline

Sure today's workstations are over rated. ALl one really needs is a ten year old synth and they'll have it all. The rest of us are just stupid for paying so much money for nothing.
LOL

hahm... right!

C'mon man, just because at the present you can't afford something doesn't at all mean that you don't need it or that it sucks.
ONe day when you'll have the doe, you'll get the gear and start posting about how good it is.

As musicians we drift from riding the waves of fame and glory to hitting rock bottom. I too had my share of "no cash" phazes.

But it ain't no reason to say that it all sucks!

-ED-

#83971 - 05/05/05 01:33 PM Re: Countdown to zero
Sheriff Offline

I didn't mean it so hard like you propably understood it. What I wanted to say with it was that it's really much heavier to entertain with lower materials than with higher gears.

Look, if I listen to the old rock musicians like Deep Purple, Led Zep or Uriah Heep then I know that there's so much more than only effects. NOT ALL but the most modern bands are using effects but their music has not half the fire like the old masters of rock'n'roll had have.

Another example is the pop scene where you can find thousands of (good looking) faces without the ability to sing but they ARE singing and dancing - and all at the same time. Hey, what a trick should this be if this is not playback?
A lot of Harmonizers and Vocalizers are needed to get a nice tune out of their crappy voices. Okay, you can buy those devices if you want but isn't it better to learn singing at first?

The same with guitarists. What a cool effect is it to sample the actual played solo? Hey, you can play guitar without hands...
But there are only a few masters in our world who can play their guitar like they would use this effect but without using it.

I didn't say: "Kurzweil is the best - f*** the rest!!!"

I would never say so because I also own a Yamaha V-50 and I played/programmed a Yamaha DX7 and a Kawai K1 long time ago. I've worked with an Roland Juno 106 and with an Korg MonoPoly (I've made some samples out of it for my K2k).

But in the first place you can see me as a pure guitar player. I'm happy with my Marshall top and with my four guitars. I would propably buy some more guitars (for example the 12 string accoustic western guitar or an half-accoustic jazz-guitar) but I'm really pleased with my equipment. I wanna rock not explode...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-05-2005).]

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online