SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#83561 - 05/29/07 01:25 PM West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Man, I love West Virginia gun laws. I'm a strong supporter of the statement "Guns don't kill people, people kill people". West Virginia is one of those states that still has the "plain view" laws on the book with no intention of removing them (HORAY!).

Here in West Virginia you can carry a side arm without a permit as long as it's in plain view, and you're the legal owner of the weapon (and if you are legally permited to own a firearm). An officer may question you in public, but if you are within the law they'll give the pistol back to you and say "have a nice day".

I STRONGLY support the issue that "a weapon in plain view will deter crime". A crook is less likely to approach you to steal your wallet or take your car before you even open the door if they see (in plain view) that you're armed.

Not too long ago a 70 year old man was almost car jacked here locally, but the crook stopped dead in his tracks when he realized grandpa was packing some heat. The elderly guy had a Colt model 1911 .45 in plain view

Today was a fun day. I went to the local gun store, and picked up a new pistol. Got a 380 semi auto. I carry a pistol in plain view when in public. Makes me feel much safer that way.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-29-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#83562 - 05/29/07 02:55 PM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hey Squeak, I have a Colt 380...Nice automatic..compact and powerful..
I am licensed to carry..I just have to make sure I am not armed in NJ..

#83563 - 05/29/07 04:45 PM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
squeak_D Offline

I've always hated PA's gun laws Fran.. Not to mention their hunting and fishing laws. West Va is a great state to be a hunter and a fisherman.

I'm just amazed at how affordable pistols are. You can get a 380 semi auto today for less than $100. I walked in and out of my local gun store with a new 380, new holster, and ammo for $136 What was so awesome is right there in the parking lot I was able to holster my weapon in plain view within minutes of buying it. Gotta love that. I didn't bother with a conc. permit here in West Va due to the plain view law. I'd rather the crook see I'm armed

Fran, I like my 380 but I hate that the ammo is so expensive for a box of 50 rounds. It's not as common as a 9mm (where you can buy 9mm ammo sometimes for $5-$6 a box).

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#83564 - 05/29/07 10:42 PM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:

I carry a pistol in plain view when in public. Makes me feel much safer that way.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-29-2007).]

Hmmm . . . but what if someone quicker than you sneaks up from behind and grabs your nice accessible gun?

Sorry, but I'm in the 'no guns' camp. Guns as a deterrent? Maybe, but escalating, heat-of-the-moment moments and instant access to a gun are not a good mix. Too many people are killed and injured by arguments that get out of control in a hurry. Add booze to the mix (as is frequently the case) and there's a recipe for disaster.

$136 for the ability to kill something, eh? Ah well, life is cheap.

#83565 - 05/30/07 12:36 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Hey I like to shoot hand guns at my local gun range. I own a Beretta 9MM semi automatic and a Ruger .357 revolver and know how to use them .... but I am glad people in Los Angeles aren't allowed to walk around with handguns. There are far too many fatal shootings here already. Just my 2 cents worth. I am all for rights for gun owners but carrying them in public is unecessary and sorta scary.

#83566 - 05/30/07 02:13 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Squeak, in Taiwan, where guns are illegal, you won't even be able to buy a single bullet for $6. In fact, they go for $500 to $800 apiece. A small weapon easily sells for $5000 to $10000 and up. Maybe this might give you some business ideas?

#83567 - 05/30/07 06:30 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
squeak_D Offline

Well "stupid people" shouldn't have guns. We're not going to let those asses spoil it for the rest of us who follow the law. I'm well trained in firearms, and know how to use them quite well.. Qualified as a sniper on an M-16.

I use common sense from the moment I holster my weapon. I also use good judgement in regards to where I display my weapon. I don't go to bars, and if I did I wouldn't carry it. Good luck to someone who trys to remove my weapon from my holster as well. My wife says she feels bad for any person who attempts to take my firearm. That's where my years as a boxer and martial artist come in handy

This biggest thing is just using common sense. Sadly many lack good judgement. In the state of West Virginia a good majority of residents know how to use firearms as this is a big "hunting" state. Sure we have our shootings in the state here and there, but I can't tell you the last time I heard of a shooting taking place from a person who had a weapon in plain view. In this state peronal crimes are avoided all the time because of the plain view law... I can see how this law wouldn't work in some states and big cities like Los Ang. or other hot spot states.

West Virginia also does a good job with its court records in regards to who should and should not have a gun.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-30-2007).]

#83568 - 05/30/07 07:00 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
Hey I like to shoot hand guns at my local gun range. I own a Beretta 9MM semi automatic and a Ruger .357 revolver and know how to use them .... but I am glad people in Los Angeles aren't allowed to walk around with handguns. There are far too many fatal shootings here already. Just my 2 cents worth. I am all for rights for gun owners but carrying them in public is unecessary and sorta scary.

Nigel,
Then, the fatal shootings must be caused by people who ILLEGALLY own guns. They are not affected by laws, one way or the other, except they are pretty sure there victims aren't armed.
I'm sorta on the fence. But I own a .380 and it's in plain view in my vehicle. Our laws are similar to W.Va.
DonM

#83569 - 05/30/07 09:34 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Another one of my excesses. I own over 200 firearms. I collect English field shotguns (usually hand-made in Belgum)and have every caliber of Remington ADL rifle with quick detatchable scopes. I have several Star pistols which was the side-arm used by the Confederate Army during the Civil war, two Remington Union army pistols, several Rand 45 autos manufactured by Remingtom Rand during the 2nd world war, a Thompson Contender interchangable barrel system with 13 barrels...the list goes on. I sold my farm in 2001 and haven't shot a weapon since, but I love high quality pieces.

What a pack-rat I am!

Russ

#83570 - 05/30/07 09:44 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
squeak_D Offline

Russ,
I was told the other day that someone locally got their hands on a 16th century flintstock pistol here. I have no idea where they found it as they are very rare. Sounds like you got a nice collection.

Squeak

#83571 - 05/30/07 11:32 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!

Squeak, are you talking a used piece? As far as I know, in 38, 380, 44, 45, 357, etc. calibers, even a 2nd level brand like Tarus, costs in the neighborhood of $275.00 up new.

I'd really caution anybody from buying inexpensive off-brand guns...especially autos.

Russ

#83572 - 05/30/07 11:43 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!

Don, I shot a guy when I was 7 years old. It was in Alaska, and my dad was on alert at Ladd AFB. Mom was 8 months pregnant and confined to bed. I was taking care of my two younger brothers, and noticed a guy looking through our kitchen window. There had been multiple break-ins and physical assaults, including rapes.

It took him about two hours to break the window and slip inside. He saw me multiple times, but didn't know I had my little 22/410 Savage hidden around the corner. When He came in I warned him; then shot him in the knee with the 410. He got up and I shot him in the other knee. I kept the gun on him from about 11:00 PM until daybreak at about 4:00 AM
(it was nidnight sun country, you know). At daybreak, I sent my 5 year old brother to the next house about a quarter of a mile away for help.

I was required to see a military psychologist. When he asked me if I had any regrets, I told him I regretted not killing the dumb ass!

I NEVER want to physically hurt anyone again, but if it came down to protecting my family or friends again, I wouldn't hesitate.

The guy was the one breaking into houses and harming people, and I saw him often in town, glaring at me. I just stared back and gave hime the finger (he got "first time" honors).

Russ

#83573 - 05/30/07 12:34 PM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
squeak_D Offline

Russ,
Yeah I know that price raises an eyebrow or two. However, the pistol I purchased was new and the price for it was $99.00 The same model in almost new condition goes for $75.00

This is just one of several I own. I bought this model because the price is good and they are now considered very reliable side arms. I know many who own them. The model I bought was a Hi-Point 380. Hi-Point had some problems years ago due to the full metal construction of their pistols. They have now changed a lot with them, and their pistols now have composite frames. If I remember correctly some of the older Hi-Point pistols didn't even lock the slide back after you fired the last round.

Again, much has changed in the Hi-Point Firearm Co. Their pistols and carbines are very reliable. I know so many people here who own the 380s, 9mm's, 45's, 40's, and even the Hi-Point carbines (which by the way are just downright bloody acurate too).

Here's a link to the model I purchased http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handgun_details.asp?Gun=380ACP

#83574 - 05/30/07 01:01 PM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
squeak_D Offline

Russ,
Wanted to add something. I have an inlaw who also owns a Hi-Point pistol. He has the 9mm. I was blown away by the quality of this inexpensive pistol when we went out to sight in the rifles before our last hunting trip.

My inlaw brought his HP 9mm with him just for fun. I was very impressed with that model. I figured that since these models are kind of top heavy as the ejection port is on the side of the slide rather then the top that the recoil would be hard, but it was a very smooth recoil.

Years ago I never would have even considered a Hi-Point pistol, but since they've redesigned their models and after shooting my inlaws 9mm on numerous occasions I decided to buy myself the 380.

#83575 - 05/30/07 05:30 PM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Another one of my excesses. I own over 200 firearms. I collect English field shotguns (usually hand-made in Belgum)and have every caliber of Remington ADL rifle with quick detatchable scopes. I have several Star pistols which was the side-arm used by the Confederate Army during the Civil war, two Remington Union army pistols, several Rand 45 autos manufactured by Remingtom Rand during the 2nd world war, a Thompson Contender interchangable barrel system with 13 barrels...the list goes on. I sold my farm in 2001 and haven't shot a weapon since, but I love high quality pieces.
What a pack-rat I am!
Russ

Russ ... Is there anything you DON'T collect ?!?!?!?! .....
t.

#83576 - 05/31/07 06:05 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece

#83577 - 05/31/07 06:46 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
squeak_D Offline

It's sad his daughter was the one who took the injury there, but if it was an intruder this story would have been completely different.

Everyone's always fine when an intruder gets injured, but the moment something like this happens (which clearly a good portion of the blame needs to be placed on this guys daughter), the gun owner is always to blame and the whole issue of firearm ownership gets blown way out of line.

She snuck out, re-entered the house through a door that was previously locked. She knew her father was a Police Officer and should have known better. Although this story is sad and I do feel bad for the poor girl, but her father was acting in the best interest to the protection of his family. He has a high profile job. Officers are often targeted by people they've arrested in the past.

Again, I feel bad for the girl, but she should have known better, and stories like this are always used to make gun ownership look like a bad thing. It's stupid people that kill people (NOT THE GUNS). I get so tired of hearing all the blame being put on the gun and guns as a whole, and not the dumbass who pulled the trigger.

There are 100's of car accidents EVERY DAY that take lives, many due to reckless and careless people who drive drunk for example... I don't see a huge outcry to take cars off the streets.

#83578 - 05/31/07 06:57 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
Fran Carango Offline

Russ, I had one of those Savage over and under rifles [22/410]..We use to call them Squirrel guns..

#83579 - 05/31/07 07:38 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!

Tony, it's string instruments, guns knives, old Cushmans, motorcycles, keyboards, watches and jewelery. Too much of everything. I'm into design in a big way and appreciate high quality and unique historic items.

Thinking about a huge garage sale. Most of this stuff is cleaned and inspected once a year an put back in storage.

Yet, I still go to every knofe and gun show and get really cranked up about finding an old "basket case" scooter, guitar, etc.

It's an addiction. But, what FUN!

Russ

#83580 - 05/31/07 07:39 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
squeak_D Offline

Savage still makes affordable rifles There's another one that's a good "plinker" that can be bought at your local Wal-Mart. Mossberg has a semi auto .22 rifle with composite stock that often sells for less than $100! I think last time I saw it the price was $99.99

I'm going back this weekend and just might pick up a Taurus PT-111 compact 9mm Very nice little side arm.

#83581 - 05/31/07 09:47 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
Fran Carango Offline

I like to check out "old cheerleaders" too...but they they don't hold their value..

#83582 - 05/31/07 10:28 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!

Fran, I still have my original over and under, plus one which is 22 mag and 20 guage...solid maple stock.Price today is about $400.00. About 10 year old and never been fired. Got a lot of "still in the box" pieces.

Don't know why...

Russ

#83583 - 05/31/07 11:57 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Got a lot of "still in the box" pieces.

Don't know why...
Russ[/B]

Because you CAN!!!!!
t.

#83584 - 05/31/07 12:20 PM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
squeak_D Offline

Russ, we're alike in some ways... I collect stuff too, but my collection isn't as big as yours I too like to collect watches, guns, pocket knives, antiques, and othe things.

Not too long ago I got a nice attic find. My sisters house had a bunch of old things from years ago, and among the stash was a 1934 Kodak camera in mint condition and unused film (original boxes and all)... Then at an antique store I find a whole slew of post cards (50 or more) all post marked from 1909. It wasn't really the cards I was interested in as it was the mint condition 1908 Ben Franklin stamps that were still there with no postal marks running through them. I bought 10 of those cards at $1.00 a pop (the stamps are worth much more).

Then I got lucky too... I later had a closer look at the names on the cards. Several of them had "McCoy". I did some checking and found I have cards addressed to one of the main family members from the famous McCoy family who feuded with the Hatfields all those years. Some of the McCoys settled here in West Virginia.

Then I go back the next weekend and score a few tots for the wife. For $1.00 each, I bought mid 1800's victorian make up tins for the wife, that still had rouge and face powder in them. The face powder still has the applicator too.

It's amazing how many antique store owners out there don't know the value of the items they sell... I frequent her store A LOT

**I also like to collect old radios and televisions**

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-31-2007).]

#83585 - 05/31/07 01:00 PM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!

Forgot cameras...8"x10" and 4"x5" view cameras...many Nikons, Hasseys, Russian Kiev's, Cannon systems, Rolex... and a huge pile of old Kodak, Pentax and others. Of course, we're in the business of production of print, so many of these were tools used for publications and collateral materials.

Ah, boys and their toys...

R.

#83586 - 06/03/07 01:50 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
hmmmm,
I am in posession of a winchester model 94 30-30 for sale. Serial number places it between 1943 and 1947. It's in very good condition but does have a small 1/2 in nick in the stock right behind the receiver. The nick however has been there for 40 years already and will never expand or worsen.
This has been in family for 40 years but now I will part with it. even comes in a 40 year old case.
Anyone interested e-mail me.
Jim

[This message has been edited by OldNewb (edited 06-03-2007).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online