SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#83571 - 05/30/07 11:32 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Squeak, are you talking a used piece? As far as I know, in 38, 380, 44, 45, 357, etc. calibers, even a 2nd level brand like Tarus, costs in the neighborhood of $275.00 up new.

I'd really caution anybody from buying inexpensive off-brand guns...especially autos.

Russ

#83572 - 05/30/07 11:43 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
captain Russ Offline

Don, I shot a guy when I was 7 years old. It was in Alaska, and my dad was on alert at Ladd AFB. Mom was 8 months pregnant and confined to bed. I was taking care of my two younger brothers, and noticed a guy looking through our kitchen window. There had been multiple break-ins and physical assaults, including rapes.

It took him about two hours to break the window and slip inside. He saw me multiple times, but didn't know I had my little 22/410 Savage hidden around the corner. When He came in I warned him; then shot him in the knee with the 410. He got up and I shot him in the other knee. I kept the gun on him from about 11:00 PM until daybreak at about 4:00 AM
(it was nidnight sun country, you know). At daybreak, I sent my 5 year old brother to the next house about a quarter of a mile away for help.

I was required to see a military psychologist. When he asked me if I had any regrets, I told him I regretted not killing the dumb ass!

I NEVER want to physically hurt anyone again, but if it came down to protecting my family or friends again, I wouldn't hesitate.

The guy was the one breaking into houses and harming people, and I saw him often in town, glaring at me. I just stared back and gave hime the finger (he got "first time" honors).

Russ

#83573 - 05/30/07 12:34 PM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Russ,
Yeah I know that price raises an eyebrow or two. However, the pistol I purchased was new and the price for it was $99.00 The same model in almost new condition goes for $75.00

This is just one of several I own. I bought this model because the price is good and they are now considered very reliable side arms. I know many who own them. The model I bought was a Hi-Point 380. Hi-Point had some problems years ago due to the full metal construction of their pistols. They have now changed a lot with them, and their pistols now have composite frames. If I remember correctly some of the older Hi-Point pistols didn't even lock the slide back after you fired the last round.

Again, much has changed in the Hi-Point Firearm Co. Their pistols and carbines are very reliable. I know so many people here who own the 380s, 9mm's, 45's, 40's, and even the Hi-Point carbines (which by the way are just downright bloody acurate too).

Here's a link to the model I purchased http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handgun_details.asp?Gun=380ACP
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#83574 - 05/30/07 01:01 PM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
squeak_D Offline

Russ,
Wanted to add something. I have an inlaw who also owns a Hi-Point pistol. He has the 9mm. I was blown away by the quality of this inexpensive pistol when we went out to sight in the rifles before our last hunting trip.

My inlaw brought his HP 9mm with him just for fun. I was very impressed with that model. I figured that since these models are kind of top heavy as the ejection port is on the side of the slide rather then the top that the recoil would be hard, but it was a very smooth recoil.

Years ago I never would have even considered a Hi-Point pistol, but since they've redesigned their models and after shooting my inlaws 9mm on numerous occasions I decided to buy myself the 380.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#83575 - 05/30/07 05:30 PM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Another one of my excesses. I own over 200 firearms. I collect English field shotguns (usually hand-made in Belgum)and have every caliber of Remington ADL rifle with quick detatchable scopes. I have several Star pistols which was the side-arm used by the Confederate Army during the Civil war, two Remington Union army pistols, several Rand 45 autos manufactured by Remingtom Rand during the 2nd world war, a Thompson Contender interchangable barrel system with 13 barrels...the list goes on. I sold my farm in 2001 and haven't shot a weapon since, but I love high quality pieces.
What a pack-rat I am!
Russ

Russ ... Is there anything you DON'T collect ?!?!?!?! .....
t.

#83576 - 05/31/07 06:05 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece

#83577 - 05/31/07 06:46 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
squeak_D Offline

It's sad his daughter was the one who took the injury there, but if it was an intruder this story would have been completely different.

Everyone's always fine when an intruder gets injured, but the moment something like this happens (which clearly a good portion of the blame needs to be placed on this guys daughter), the gun owner is always to blame and the whole issue of firearm ownership gets blown way out of line.

She snuck out, re-entered the house through a door that was previously locked. She knew her father was a Police Officer and should have known better. Although this story is sad and I do feel bad for the poor girl, but her father was acting in the best interest to the protection of his family. He has a high profile job. Officers are often targeted by people they've arrested in the past.

Again, I feel bad for the girl, but she should have known better, and stories like this are always used to make gun ownership look like a bad thing. It's stupid people that kill people (NOT THE GUNS). I get so tired of hearing all the blame being put on the gun and guns as a whole, and not the dumbass who pulled the trigger.

There are 100's of car accidents EVERY DAY that take lives, many due to reckless and careless people who drive drunk for example... I don't see a huge outcry to take cars off the streets.

#83578 - 05/31/07 06:57 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Russ, I had one of those Savage over and under rifles [22/410]..We use to call them Squirrel guns..

#83579 - 05/31/07 07:38 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
captain Russ Offline

Tony, it's string instruments, guns knives, old Cushmans, motorcycles, keyboards, watches and jewelery. Too much of everything. I'm into design in a big way and appreciate high quality and unique historic items.

Thinking about a huge garage sale. Most of this stuff is cleaned and inspected once a year an put back in storage.

Yet, I still go to every knofe and gun show and get really cranked up about finding an old "basket case" scooter, guitar, etc.

It's an addiction. But, what FUN!

Russ

#83580 - 05/31/07 07:39 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
squeak_D Offline

Savage still makes affordable rifles There's another one that's a good "plinker" that can be bought at your local Wal-Mart. Mossberg has a semi auto .22 rifle with composite stock that often sells for less than $100! I think last time I saw it the price was $99.99

I'm going back this weekend and just might pick up a Taurus PT-111 compact 9mm Very nice little side arm.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online