SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#83561 - 05/29/07 01:25 PM West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Man, I love West Virginia gun laws. I'm a strong supporter of the statement "Guns don't kill people, people kill people". West Virginia is one of those states that still has the "plain view" laws on the book with no intention of removing them (HORAY!).

Here in West Virginia you can carry a side arm without a permit as long as it's in plain view, and you're the legal owner of the weapon (and if you are legally permited to own a firearm). An officer may question you in public, but if you are within the law they'll give the pistol back to you and say "have a nice day".

I STRONGLY support the issue that "a weapon in plain view will deter crime". A crook is less likely to approach you to steal your wallet or take your car before you even open the door if they see (in plain view) that you're armed.

Not too long ago a 70 year old man was almost car jacked here locally, but the crook stopped dead in his tracks when he realized grandpa was packing some heat. The elderly guy had a Colt model 1911 .45 in plain view

Today was a fun day. I went to the local gun store, and picked up a new pistol. Got a 380 semi auto. I carry a pistol in plain view when in public. Makes me feel much safer that way.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-29-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#83562 - 05/29/07 02:55 PM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hey Squeak, I have a Colt 380...Nice automatic..compact and powerful..
I am licensed to carry..I just have to make sure I am not armed in NJ..

#83563 - 05/29/07 04:45 PM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
squeak_D Offline

I've always hated PA's gun laws Fran.. Not to mention their hunting and fishing laws. West Va is a great state to be a hunter and a fisherman.

I'm just amazed at how affordable pistols are. You can get a 380 semi auto today for less than $100. I walked in and out of my local gun store with a new 380, new holster, and ammo for $136 What was so awesome is right there in the parking lot I was able to holster my weapon in plain view within minutes of buying it. Gotta love that. I didn't bother with a conc. permit here in West Va due to the plain view law. I'd rather the crook see I'm armed

Fran, I like my 380 but I hate that the ammo is so expensive for a box of 50 rounds. It's not as common as a 9mm (where you can buy 9mm ammo sometimes for $5-$6 a box).

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#83564 - 05/29/07 10:42 PM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:

I carry a pistol in plain view when in public. Makes me feel much safer that way.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-29-2007).]

Hmmm . . . but what if someone quicker than you sneaks up from behind and grabs your nice accessible gun?

Sorry, but I'm in the 'no guns' camp. Guns as a deterrent? Maybe, but escalating, heat-of-the-moment moments and instant access to a gun are not a good mix. Too many people are killed and injured by arguments that get out of control in a hurry. Add booze to the mix (as is frequently the case) and there's a recipe for disaster.

$136 for the ability to kill something, eh? Ah well, life is cheap.

#83565 - 05/30/07 12:36 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Hey I like to shoot hand guns at my local gun range. I own a Beretta 9MM semi automatic and a Ruger .357 revolver and know how to use them .... but I am glad people in Los Angeles aren't allowed to walk around with handguns. There are far too many fatal shootings here already. Just my 2 cents worth. I am all for rights for gun owners but carrying them in public is unecessary and sorta scary.

#83566 - 05/30/07 02:13 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Squeak, in Taiwan, where guns are illegal, you won't even be able to buy a single bullet for $6. In fact, they go for $500 to $800 apiece. A small weapon easily sells for $5000 to $10000 and up. Maybe this might give you some business ideas?

#83567 - 05/30/07 06:30 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
squeak_D Offline

Well "stupid people" shouldn't have guns. We're not going to let those asses spoil it for the rest of us who follow the law. I'm well trained in firearms, and know how to use them quite well.. Qualified as a sniper on an M-16.

I use common sense from the moment I holster my weapon. I also use good judgement in regards to where I display my weapon. I don't go to bars, and if I did I wouldn't carry it. Good luck to someone who trys to remove my weapon from my holster as well. My wife says she feels bad for any person who attempts to take my firearm. That's where my years as a boxer and martial artist come in handy

This biggest thing is just using common sense. Sadly many lack good judgement. In the state of West Virginia a good majority of residents know how to use firearms as this is a big "hunting" state. Sure we have our shootings in the state here and there, but I can't tell you the last time I heard of a shooting taking place from a person who had a weapon in plain view. In this state peronal crimes are avoided all the time because of the plain view law... I can see how this law wouldn't work in some states and big cities like Los Ang. or other hot spot states.

West Virginia also does a good job with its court records in regards to who should and should not have a gun.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-30-2007).]

#83568 - 05/30/07 07:00 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
Hey I like to shoot hand guns at my local gun range. I own a Beretta 9MM semi automatic and a Ruger .357 revolver and know how to use them .... but I am glad people in Los Angeles aren't allowed to walk around with handguns. There are far too many fatal shootings here already. Just my 2 cents worth. I am all for rights for gun owners but carrying them in public is unecessary and sorta scary.

Nigel,
Then, the fatal shootings must be caused by people who ILLEGALLY own guns. They are not affected by laws, one way or the other, except they are pretty sure there victims aren't armed.
I'm sorta on the fence. But I own a .380 and it's in plain view in my vehicle. Our laws are similar to W.Va.
DonM

#83569 - 05/30/07 09:34 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Another one of my excesses. I own over 200 firearms. I collect English field shotguns (usually hand-made in Belgum)and have every caliber of Remington ADL rifle with quick detatchable scopes. I have several Star pistols which was the side-arm used by the Confederate Army during the Civil war, two Remington Union army pistols, several Rand 45 autos manufactured by Remingtom Rand during the 2nd world war, a Thompson Contender interchangable barrel system with 13 barrels...the list goes on. I sold my farm in 2001 and haven't shot a weapon since, but I love high quality pieces.

What a pack-rat I am!

Russ

#83570 - 05/30/07 09:44 AM Re: West Va Gun Laws.. BOY I LOVE THEM!
squeak_D Offline

Russ,
I was told the other day that someone locally got their hands on a 16th century flintstock pistol here. I have no idea where they found it as they are very rare. Sounds like you got a nice collection.

Squeak

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online