SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#8312 - 10/09/07 03:52 AM Entry Level Synth advice
dtb Offline

I am looking for a synth primarily for live performance to replace my aging Alesis QS6.

The following features are a must have :

Good Piano, Organ sounds
Real time control for lead synth sounds
USB

I am not bothered about workstations or arrangers. Can anyone recommend any other keyboards ?

Regards

#8313 - 10/09/07 10:13 AM Re: Entry Level Synth advice
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hmmm.. Don't know a hell of a lot about "entry level synths" except for the fact that most are a bit crap... putting it mildly that is .

Instead I recommend that you check out a Yamaha S90. It has tone architecture and sounds of the Motif synths but doesn't have a fully functional built in sequencer nor it has sampling (which you said you don't need since you don't need a workstation). ...but if you can afford an old S90 you can just as easily afford a Motif classic and may be even an ES.

Couple of Kurzweil keyboards come to mind too. ROM players with some editing capabilities. can't remember what they were called now... Uhm. guess you'll just have to ask at the stores.

Best thing to do is to just go and try as many keyboards as you can.

cheers,

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 10-09-2007).]

#8314 - 10/09/07 03:20 PM Re: Entry Level Synth advice
dtb Offline

The MM6 could be a contender. It has the sounds I want, the control paramenters and USB. Seems a decent enought price.

But could I better it price wise ?

The arranger part is not required, but everything else seems in place for a live set of keys.

#8315 - 10/12/07 09:10 AM Re: Entry Level Synth advice
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online