SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#82827 - 09/28/05 06:20 AM I now know where I went wrong
analogcontrolfreak Offline

Frist off I am back after a three month long reflection period. I now know that I have a serious problem. I blame myself for not being a good musician. I blame every keyboard I have owned in the past for the first problem. I never listend to everyone on here for their adivce. I applogise to everyone for that. Especially Ed, who has given me some of the best advice that I never took seriously, sorry about that Ed!

I thought that if I owned a certian synth that it would solve my problems. I was wrong. I also have this nasty habbit of changeing my mind to often. One minute I want an analog modular synth. Thae next a music workstation. I have always been under the impression that it's better to own one keyboard then to own several. I guess that's why most keyboard players own several keyboards. It's better to own several cheap keyboards then to own one really expensive one. Now that I think back on it, had I actually held on to every keyboard I had owned in the past I would have had a nice collection. Of course I would not have had the room for all of them. Unless I built shelves and hung them on the wall.

I feel better now that I am able to face my problems and express my feelings.

BTW: Dano if your reading this I wanted to thank you for your business, even though I sold the Juno-D back to you. You are a very knowledgeable person.

[This message has been edited by analogcontrolfreak (edited 09-28-2005).]

#82828 - 09/28/05 11:54 AM Re: I now know where I went wrong
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Man, there's no reason to be so hard on yourself. Dedication to music is necessary, but what's equally necessary is HAVING FUN!
I was an accountant right out of school and I HATED IT! I decided to only do for a living what I would do for fun. Things worked out GREAT!

Relax...the music will come and you'll ENJOY YOURSELF!

I have found your comments to be interesting, and personally value you as a contributor here.

All the best!

Russ

#82829 - 09/28/05 12:18 PM Re: I now know where I went wrong
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
...Sounds to me at least, like you've got a lot more issues wearing ya down my friend.
Lighten up on yourself, and try to find whatever it is that will put a positive spin on your day to day.
Hell..I'll be the first to admit that I'm very self conscious when it comes to my playing.
I'd love to be able to pound the keys like Jimmy Smith, or Keith Emerson, but I know it ain't gonna happen, so why sweat the small stuff.

Take care freak, and keep doing what your doing, as long as life will let ya!

Have a look around... ...ya got friends here.

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 09-28-2005).]

#82830 - 09/28/05 12:57 PM Re: I now know where I went wrong
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
As Don Ho sang, "don't sweat the small stuff
the good times a comin" right Shboom....hey
Dude...listen to what Russ and Suboom are saying....you got to be happy or there ain't
no sence gettin up in da mornin...that's why you get to wake up in the morning...it gives you another day to enjoy it or do it again or get it right or try it again, however if you give up on it, man there ain't no reason to get up...chill, take a deep breath and start all over again... believe me it gets better and easier..try it
Tony Rome

[This message has been edited by Tony Rome (edited 09-28-2005).]

#82831 - 09/28/05 05:02 PM Re: I now know where I went wrong

Thanks Guys! I really apperciate all of the positvie feedback. I'm still not 100% sure why I do some of the things I do. Funny I will spend minutes even hours scanning the synth and electronic keyboard section of the Musical Instrument catagory on Ebay. But rarely buy let alone bid on an item. Other times I will do the same thing in a music store. Other times I will spend the money on a keyboard. Of course now I am finding it harder to spend money on a synth, but I could spend the money on four dinning room chairs from Ethan Allen. Weird?

A while back a friend of my parents had asked me for advice on an electronic keyboard. He asked me what I thought would be the best one to buy? I told him that I could make suggestions which keyboard to buy, but I could not tell him which keyboard he should buy. Instead I suggested that he try sevral differnet models until he found the one that best suited his needs. And that whatever he was going to buy, he was going to be with it for a while. I never told him about the mistakes I made in the past. I felt it better to help him not fall into the same traps that I had. Guess I need to start listening to my own advice.

[This message has been edited by analogcontrolfreak (edited 09-28-2005).]

#82832 - 09/28/05 07:05 PM Re: I now know where I went wrong
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Hello, my friend!

Sounds like you're on the right way. Go on!!!
Some day we'll jam together...

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#82833 - 09/29/05 03:59 AM Re: I now know where I went wrong

Thanks Sheriff. But first I have to find the right synthesizer to fit my needs. Don't want to keep making the same mistakes.

I tried to send you an eamil, but you don't have one listed in your profile. Although I knew that if I posted on here again you would reply.

#82834 - 10/01/05 04:26 PM Re: I now know where I went wrong
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by analogcontrolfreak:
But first I have to find the right synthesizer to fit my needs. Don't want to keep making the same mistakes.

That's the mistake you keep making. It has nothing to do with the synth you get but has everything to do with your motivation for getting a synth in the first place. It's what you do with it that counts. What it can do really has nothing to do with it.

I talk about this very thing in my thread about the MT32 http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum35/HTML/000461.html which was a very lotech sound module that I used to record with a friend playing guitar in his bedroom apartment. It was all about the music and the technology really means nothing at all.

It all comes from the heart. That's all that ever matters.

#82835 - 10/01/05 04:36 PM Re: I now know where I went wrong

I never really thought about that before Nigel. I guess have been going about this the wrong way. That I keep buying a synths hopeing that they will help me? So what would be the best way to approch this?

#82836 - 10/01/05 06:57 PM Re: I now know where I went wrong
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Learn to play guitar...*LOL*

Siriously, learn to play an accoustic instrument. And if I say "learn" then I really mean "learn". Feel the vibrations of such an instrument and try to manipulate these vibrations in that way you feel deep inside your heart. So, I find my ground harmony for the instrument I play, the sound I create and at least the melody in my head. Oh, and don't forget to feel any kind of rhythm to your song because the rhythm spends life power for a song...

Or...if you still want to play a synth...then take choice for one good sound which is congruent to your feeling and do it the same way I've mentioned for an accoustic instrument. Come on, Paul, give it a try and feel the blues!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online