SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#82403 - 02/15/05 06:27 PM Enduring pay cut
KN_Fan Offline

Nice title, ain't it?

I'm sure many of the veterans here can comment on this....please share your thoughts:

Work for a pretty good company, decent pay, etc..but have grown 'old' at present position (almost five years). Plus recent changes in the dept shifts the morale from friendly environment to 'let's go work at the grind'. Enthusiasm is definitely less than before (going to work with dreams of getting out of the present job), VERY long hours (weekends, etc), new authoritarian(?) management have difficulty in hearing suggestions and very little people skills.

Now....

An opportunity may come soon, but you'll have to take a pay reduction (a bit under 10%). This new company is growing, and voted supposedly one of the best to work in the area. Company is MUCH smaller (100 people as supposed to 2500 people), so one may be taking a pay cut. Heard through the grapevine that the people are cool to work with. Everything else about the same as far as compensation (except stock option).

Provided you guys don't have credit card issues, and other pressing financial issues (and you're making an 'ok' money at this point, meaning 10% pay cut won't hurt the ability to pay bills etc). Would you take the plunge with that pay cut?

Comments appreciated.
JLJ

#82404 - 02/15/05 06:39 PM Re: Enduring pay cut
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Life is too short to work at something you hate. I think you already know what you want to do. Go for it!
DonM

#82405 - 02/15/05 08:45 PM Re: Enduring pay cut
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Take the risk.

If you dont take the risk, you can never excel.

Even with the cut, if you think you will like it, do it. Better having a job you love than a job you dont want to wake up to.

Good luck.

Phil

#82406 - 02/15/05 09:23 PM Re: Enduring pay cut
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Ditto to what the guys are telling you. Even if there's some risk involved, remember... the biggest risk is never taking one. Go for it and good luck.

#82407 - 02/15/05 09:32 PM Re: Enduring pay cut
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
If you don't, you'll kick yourself in the ass
for the rest of your life for not knowing!!!!

#82408 - 02/15/05 10:17 PM Re: Enduring pay cut
FreeStyle Offline

Loc: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
If one is not happy working in the current environment, staying back will cost more than the 10% paycut going into the new environment.

Furthermore, opportunity to progress (and later more $$$) is better in a 100-team than a 2500-team.

#82409 - 02/16/05 05:00 AM Re: Enduring pay cut
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Well, I say NOT SO FAST!!!

I was in the same position as you. I was considered a "High Potential" employee with my current firm and management 6 years ago, then all of a sudden the management regime changed.

I found myself surrounded by self centered, politically minded, arrogant do nothings. (Sort of like the Super Bowl Commercial with the Monkeys).

Anyway, to make a long story short, I became desparate at my job. I now hated my once cherished and loved job. I DECIDED TO STICK IT OUT. Why let some incompetents run me out of town.

I started networking and I did an end-around to my clients by providing them with spectacular customer service and guidance. They in turn propped me up with management and soon I was able to work on some new projects, but in the same position. I then started adding more and more resources to my staff to handle more of these projects, and low and behold I had a small little empire going.

Now, all the incompetents have been either fired or made irrelevant, and I am now the "go-to" guy when people want things done. I have a new boss who loves me and I him. Things are just great and I was just rewarded with a nice 10% salary increase and huge bonus.

My point is; Jobs are cyclical. I chose to be patient; not imprudent, but patient. I stuck it out and also stepped up my efforts a notch to get out of my "Comfort Zone".

So far so good.

My advice; stick with it, but change your attitude to a more positive one and look for opportunity, not a way out!!!

Best Regards,
Al

[This message has been edited by kbrkr (edited 02-16-2005).]

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#82410 - 02/16/05 06:21 AM Re: Enduring pay cut
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Rome:
If you don't, you'll kick yourself in the ass
for the rest of your life for not knowing!!!!

I've lived a long life and done lots of crazy things. Some didn't pan out, but as Tony said above, go for it.

Of course, much of the risks involved will depend upon your age. If you are relatively young, and I stress the term relative, you still have lots of time to recover if this turns out to be a bade move. If you're an old fart like me, the risk is obviously greater because of the decreased ability to recover any loses.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#82411 - 02/16/05 08:11 AM Re: Enduring pay cut
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
[QUOTE] from Gary

Of course, much of the risks involved will depend upon your age. If you are relatively young, and I stress the term relative, you still have lots of time to recover if this turns out to be a bade move. If you're an old fart like me, the risk is obviously greater because of the decreased ability to recover any loses.

Good Luck,

Gary

Age is the determining factor. I'm grabbing at 70,in younger years I went thru numerious jobs, never enjoying any, mostly politics, and boredom. About 30 years ago finally got smart and went in business for myself doing what I like working with my hands meeting people and being outdoors, and making all the decisions. (when it's right can't help from being sucessful). So do your thing would be my advise. also keep the retirement in sight at all times, the money on the end is most important for a happy ending...........Pose

#82412 - 02/16/05 11:50 AM Re: Enduring pay cut
KN_Fan Offline

Gary-
I will turn 33 this year

I think that's young...right?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online