SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#8192 - 01/17/03 12:45 PM My best attempt at an impersonation
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Guys,
ok. Here's the deal... Over the years I've one or two close friends telling me that I sound and look a little bit like David Bowie.

So, about three years ago I made up a few little mini Bowie jingles when I was first learning Cubase. Till now they've not seen the light of day and they've just been taking up space on my computer. But now, ages later, I thought I'd drag them out and see if I could talk you guys into having a listen and maybe giving me some honest feedback.

The reason for me bringing this up is cos there's a Bowie tribute band looking for a singer in my area and I really need your honest opinion before I make a complete fool out of myself at some audition.

Anyway, thanks in anticipation of your help. Here's the link...
www.angelfire.com/music4/glasgow

#8193 - 01/17/03 04:32 PM Re: My best attempt at an impersonation
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
if i heard the words bowie tribute band id turn and run the oppisite direction...

david bowie himself was cool, but he needs no tribute band...a tribute band to bowie is tantamount to being a flaggelant in the middle ages.

#8194 - 01/17/03 08:01 PM Re: My best attempt at an impersonation
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Quote:
david bowie himself was cool

WHAT WHAT WHAT?!@! What's this "was" shit all about, mang? You think he's dead or something?

Seriously though, last night on Jay Leno, I watched the Doors performing with a ****in' Jim Morrison look alike, and I was like "oh my god that is so sad."

Tribute bands are pretty lame anyway, especially tribute bands for performers who are still alive and playing. Seriously, is it really a tribute to Bowie, or is it a tribute to yourself and your wallet?

#8195 - 01/17/03 08:06 PM Re: My best attempt at an impersonation
Equalizer Offline

I agree that David Bowie doesn't need a tribute band. But maybe I do- times are tough and I desperately need something to help pay the rent.

Personally I agree that generally the whole tribute scene sucks. And in the case of Bowie it seems a bit strange to want to form a tribute band since the guy isn't even dead. However, I've read that lots of serious Bowie fans are a bit disappointed that he rarely (if ever) performs material from the Ziggy Stardust/Hunky Dory period any more.

As well as that, tribute bands are making a killing here in the UK just now. They get around 5 times the wages of a "normal" covers band.

Anyway, thanks for your response.

By the way, what's a flaggelant?

#8196 - 01/17/03 08:49 PM Re: My best attempt at an impersonation
Cloakboy Offline

Well, shit, dude, at least your honest. If you can do it and make some extra cash on the side, go for it, and you do have a good point if you're concentrating on a period that he doesn't do anymore... but for the love of god that all that is holy, do not, do not, DO NOT dress up in the ziggy stardust era clothing, do not, do not, DO NOT try to imitate Bowie... I mean, sure, sing/sound like him, but don't go out of your way to look like him, don't try to adopt his mannerisms, etc...

#8197 - 01/18/03 04:10 AM Re: My best attempt at an impersonation
MRT1212 Offline

i havent heard much about bowie for a long time. i dont keep up with modern music either.

a flaggelants were people who showed their piety to god by beating themselves with clubs and maces. basicly if you dress up like david bowie youre just abusing your body and image...

#8198 - 01/18/03 08:39 AM Re: My best attempt at an impersonation
Equalizer Offline

a flaggelants were people who showed their piety to god by beating themselves with clubs and maces. basicly if you dress up like david bowie youre just abusing your body and image...[/B][/QUOTE]

Ha! Well, I think it's safe to say dressing up like Ziggy Stardust is a definate non starter.

#8199 - 01/18/03 09:07 AM Re: My best attempt at an impersonation
Cloakboy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MRT1212:
i havent heard much about bowie for a long time. i dont keep up with modern music either.

He just released a new album, "Heathen," and it did surprisingly well against the manufactured boy-bands/slut-girls. Of course he got nominated for a grammy, and some record label execs arranged for wannabe-punk-sugar-coated-pop slut-girl Avril Lavringe (or whatever) to announce the nominees. She mispronounced his last name so it rhymed with Howie. Kids these days...

#8200 - 01/19/03 12:27 AM Re: My best attempt at an impersonation
MRT1212 Offline

thats horrendous! we should form a posse to rid the world of her.

#8201 - 01/19/03 12:36 AM Re: My best attempt at an impersonation
Cloakboy Offline

If you heard her song, "Skaterboy" (might be spelled "Skaterboi," but I'm not sure...) you'definitely want to kill her.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online