SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#81825 - 01/10/05 10:02 AM The Bar not a good idea
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I'll go against the grain. I think it's a mistake. The arranger forum is not that busy of a forum as far as active forums go. Take away OT and it will languish. I see it happen all the time... forums water down trying to have umpteen forums. What a thriving forum needs is eyeballs. Now instead of one place, you have to go to another forum. There was nothing at all "wrong" with the arranger forum as it was. Just put OT in front of OT posts. And if you once in a blue moon, forget to do it, no biggie. Just my opinion.

#81826 - 01/10/05 10:23 AM Re: The Bar not a good idea
ScubaDon Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, U.S.A.
I agree with SemiLiveMusic. I currently subscribe to one and only one forum on the internet where I care to read what everyone has to say (I do post questions just to get an answer in different work related groups). I don't have much time these days to spend in fora. But the little time I can afford to spend, I spend on the arranger kb forum. I love the discussions about keyboards, but I also love talking about things that are only marginally relevant, thus getting to know the people here and maintaining online friendships. Like SLM said, that is what made this the best place on the internet in the first place! Trying to participate in multiple places, all the while hoping that what I'm saying is appropriate for the particular forum will get real old real fast. At least for me. But probably for others too. In fact, I fear it will become just like so many other discussion groups: post a question, get an answer, don't come back for several weeks until you have another question. That's not what I signed up for. This was not a good move in my opinion. My $0.02.

#81827 - 01/10/05 12:39 PM Re: The Bar not a good idea
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I'm glad I'm not alone. I agree guys. I think the OT stuff lets us look a little more at who we are talking to here. It has never bothered me in the GA forum, even when a thread I start goes way off it's topic, or turns into a hot debate. Heck, I feel OT a lot, since I don't really play or work with my arranger all that much.

Still, it's Nigel's call and if this is what it is, then so be it.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-10-2005).]

#81828 - 01/10/05 01:37 PM Re: The Bar not a good idea
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
It's Nigel's, yep, but this is not the first time I've seen this happen. I got shot down before and yep, the overall forum deteriorated. Forums thrive on VOLUME. It puzzles me why webmasters dilute sites to have 27 forums.

My point with this one is that there is only so much one can ask about arrangers and performing. Well, sure, there's a lot of questions you can come up with but it's harder when it's a SPECIFIC forum. Again, forums thrive on movement.

And you guys echoed precisely what I've tried to tell webmasters... you get a sense of who people are by the OT stuff. IMO, forums should be more general, NOT more specific.

I was very pleased to find the arranger forum with so much being discussed. I'm afraid I won't like it as much.

#81829 - 01/10/05 01:49 PM Re: The Bar not a good idea
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I think this will be a good place for people to come and rant and rave and call everybody all the names they want.
To have their little hissy fits and attack other members, and yes even attack the forum itself.
Because as we all know "if you don't agree with me you're all a bunch of............"

I say keep the friendly chatter on the arranger forum use this for the other stuff when you have to.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 01-10-2005).]

#81830 - 01/10/05 02:08 PM Re: The Bar not a good idea
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
I think this will be a good place for people to come and rant and rave and call everybody all the names they want.
To have their little hissy fits and attack other members, and yes even attack the forum itself.
Because as we all know if you don't agree with me you're all a bunch of............

I say keep the friendly chatter on the arranger forum use this for the other stuff when you have to.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 01-10-2005).]

I totally agree, what's the difference if you have to click your mouse ounce or twice to get to the bar to post and discuss off topics, besides it seems that the traffic here is pretty good considering it just opened up a few days ago.

#81831 - 01/10/05 02:43 PM Re: The Bar not a good idea
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Of course this is a good idea, here we can have a doubble on the rocks with ice,
start argue, and all that sudden Nigel have to put up another new room, "The Cell" !
There we have to go when the real fighting starts, CAABOOOM!!
GJ

Oppsss...hikk... Sorry Nigel, did not mean to damage the nice new Bardesk
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#81832 - 01/10/05 03:26 PM Re: The Bar not a good idea
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I agree with Semi..

Part of the charm of SZ is going to ONE forum, General Arranger, and visiting with all my new and oold friends and just chew the fat mostly about music and stuff, but if a member is having a challenge in life like a health problem or trouble with the family, I like the fact that they share it with us and we can help support that member. It's all a part of music.

This separation of topics is counter to the whole spirit of this forum.

IMHO
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#81833 - 01/10/05 03:52 PM Re: The Bar not a good idea
KN_Fan Offline

I used to be one of the moderators of another website. I can definitely share my feelings that sometimes (or most of the times) the owner of the site can not possibly make everybody happy regardless of how much he/she tries to accomodate everybody's needs and wants.

Both have valid points of wanting the bar or not wanting it. Nigel has been gracious enough to try to accomodate us I'd say just post away and not to worry and fight about things too much. It takes away the good energy of good natured fun and talk about music. The reason why I withdrew from the other board is because after few months of continuous fighting it was getting stressful for me, and sometimes i go on the internet to do my share of light reading (sometimes educational too) just to get away from everyday stress..and I have high hopes this good forum will continue on with all the great people in it.

Thanks
KN_Fan

#81834 - 01/10/05 03:59 PM Re: The Bar not a good idea
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Its just what this place needed. ITs working great.

Phil

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online