SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#81576 - 01/22/07 12:03 AM Spirit of Django
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
While Kerry and I were walking around the booths at Winter NAMM we heard some astonishing acoustic guitar coming from one of the booths. It was a Norwegian guitarist by the name of Andreas Oberg. Apart from being a very talented young jazz player what was more striking was how much like Django Reinhardt he sounded. He was playing with a trio called Hot Club Gitane who excelled at Gypsy Jazz. We stayed and watched his set. Inspiring stuff.

Here are links to Andreas playing on YouTube.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mqP7ALdE1SY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDC9wdUoWzk

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 01-22-2007).]

#81577 - 01/22/07 06:16 AM Re: Spirit of Django
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Nigel, I'm familiar with Andreas. I think he demonstrates for Saga, and that's unfortunate.

Several years ago I bought a Guitane. It was replaced 3 times, and I never got a playable one. They wouldn't work with the dealer, and I had to go to the state Attorney General's Office. Finally, they allowedthe dealer to take replacement merchandise in trade. I felt sorry for the small dealer and bought three other instruments for nearly list price so he could cover the cost of this "dog" and break even.

Worst factory service and quality I'ver ever seen. They stuck thousands of people with instruments with bad necks, according to what people say on the internet.

It's a shame, because the instruments were beautiful.

Andreas really does the history of gypsy jazz proud.

Russ

#81578 - 01/22/07 04:22 PM Re: Spirit of Django
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Nigel & Russ,

You will like the rosenberg trio
So in case you don't know them...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Jy-XPgLpgc

#81579 - 01/22/07 11:47 PM Re: Spirit of Django
Nigel Offline
Admin

Oh yeah freddy, you were right I loved that. Where abouts are they from? What great guitar playing. When I see people like this I sometimes wonder why I keep playing guitar ..... then I remember it is simply because I love to play. But seeing players of this caliber always inpsires me to work harder .... I don't think I will ever think I have it all down no matter how old I get But I guess that is a good thing as it always gives me something to live for.

#81580 - 01/23/07 12:08 AM Re: Spirit of Django
Nigel Offline
Admin

Russ I remember well the story behind the Saga Selmer copy you bought. It has put me off Saga for life. There is no way I would take the chance. I'm guessing Andreas wasn't playing a Saga himself, or at least not one of the ones that have been attracting so much bad publicity.

A guitar with a bad neck is not worth playing no matter how good the rest of the instrument is.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 02-01-2007).]

#81581 - 01/23/07 04:46 AM Re: Spirit of Django
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
... I don't think I will ever think I have it all down no matter how old I get But I guess that is a good thing as it always gives me something to live for.

Does anyone EVER have it all down ??? ..
t.

#81582 - 01/23/07 03:53 PM Re: Spirit of Django
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
This is GREAT stuff ... when I first started studying accordion in the mid-late 50's, the guitar teacher in the studio, one Vince Macioci, used to comp like that ... it was so easy to play to ...
t.

#81583 - 01/24/07 02:51 PM Re: Spirit of Django
freddynl Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
Oh yeah freddy, you were right I loved that. Where abouts are they from? What great guitar playing. When I see people like this I sometimes wonder why I keep playing guitar ..... then I remember it is simply because I love to play. But seeing players of this caliber always inpsires me to work harder .... I don't think I will ever think I have it all down no matter how old I get But I guess that is a good thing as it always gives me something to live for.

Nigel, they are DUTCH

They are three brothers usually playing as the rosenberg trio. The main guitarist Stochelo Rosenberg made his tribute on television when he was 15 years old in a kids program, which is now approx 38 years ago. You can find quite some performances from them on you tube I noticed. But they also transformed a lot of mainstream and jazzsongs in typical Rosenberg Style. I have all their cd's and can highly recommand them..
Fred

#81584 - 01/24/07 03:48 PM Re: Spirit of Django
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by freddynl:
Nigel, they are DUTCH

They are three brothers usually playing as the rosenberg trio. The main guitarist Stochelo Rosenberg made his tribute on television when he was 15 years old in a kids program, which is now approx 38 years ago.
Fred

Was that "Stuif eens in"?

#81585 - 01/25/07 03:58 PM Re: Spirit of Django
freddynl Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
Was that "Stuif eens in"?

Hello Taike, I think you might be wright but I cannot remember for sure as it is very long ago.
Were you in the Netherlands those days?

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online