SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#81522 - 01/20/05 12:08 AM What Is...
Mark, Michie & Luce Offline

Loc: Mersea Island, England
... Freedom Or Democracy?

Well, where to start. The events of 9/11 scared us all in one way or another. We lost good friends and colleagues both in New York and Washington. It was understandable that America and it allies cracked down on terrorism but then, god bless the US of A, they decide to inflict a war of Iraq based on badly worded intelligence and with little thought for the outcome. Sure, it might be a vote wimmer, but we've got President Bush (Jnr) back in action for another four years, even though it was his daddy who sold the stuff to Saddam in the first place. You have to ask yourself, personally, who gives(?) away arms to their next enemy. Something smells wrong here.

Going back to our own prime minister, the almighty Mr Blair. It hasn't escaped the British public's attention that he is now a nothing more than a lap dog for the white house. I certainly hope they gave him a nice ruffled collar to go with the rest of his rather gaudy suits.

Back to 2005; nobody, but nobody, can have helped not hear about the Tsunami in Asia. But why did, after only one day, every goverment or regime try to outbid each other for the amount of help (cash or other items) made availible. Was this to help the survivors or to win political points? I'll go for the second option. The U.K. in particular was badly set astray as the public donated more money than the elected goverment to start with. Even as I'm writing this, an aid flight is leaving from near here taking items donated to a UK TV program 'Blue Peter' for Indonesia. These items were expected to be donated towards the Sudan, but as they raised more than 3 times the expected amount they decided, bless them, that the aid could also be used elsewhere.

The above points to one thing, and one thing only; next time you go the a polling booth, think carefully, not about the person you vote for but for what 'they' believe in.

A quote, to finish, from the bible,

'The Lord Giveth And The Lord Taketh Away'

Michie

PS I don't practice any religion and just believe in a cause of human rights and dignity.

#81523 - 01/20/05 02:33 AM Re: What Is...
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
It's not so much what you change to - it's how you go about changing that's vital!

#81524 - 01/20/05 04:26 AM Re: What Is...
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
I believe that invading Iraq on total lack of reliable and/or forged premises was a huge mistake, and has caused this world to be more prone to terror than ever.
This war has killed more people than Saddam could ever have. More than 1000 US soldiers have lost their lives, and more will, the UK 80 + some. And predictions are that the violence will continue to escelate and turn into a civil war. Only time will tell, but right now the result of GWB's war is not more than an endless misery for too many people.
Don't get me wrong, I have been a strong defender of the US politics for a long time. I even spent several years in the US Air Force working as a flight instructor and been to several US bases flying fighters and helicopters.
We as Norwegians are also very thankful for the help after and of course during the WWII. But that doesn't take away the fact that IMO right now there is a presidential inauguration for a man that holds a position too big for his Texan boots.

#81525 - 01/20/05 05:09 AM Re: What Is...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
You guys are not Americans. Just be advised that there ARE Americans who don't support Bush.

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 01-20-2005).]

#81526 - 01/20/05 09:40 AM Re: What Is...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Here's ONE Bushman !

#81527 - 01/20/05 09:44 AM Re: What Is...
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
You boys want to take this outside? There's enough fightin' in the world. We don't want any trouble in here.

Eddie

#81528 - 01/20/05 10:18 PM Re: What Is...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Bartalk, that's all.

#81529 - 01/21/05 12:21 AM Re: What Is...
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Bartalk, that's all.

Excactly!

#81530 - 01/21/05 12:54 AM Re: What Is...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Here's ONE Bushman !

. . . and I thought this was a FAMILY show. - Scott

#81531 - 01/21/05 02:51 AM Re: What Is...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
. . . and I thought this was a FAMILY show. - Scott

What when there is a Bush, Dick and Colon running the country. ( I was very tempted to leave the 'o' out of country but I restrained myself )

#81532 - 01/21/05 05:39 AM Re: What Is...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
What when there is a Bush, Dick and Colon running the country. ( I was very tempted to leave the 'o' out of country but I restrained myself )

Durn, that's pretty funny.

#81533 - 01/21/05 06:20 AM Re: What Is...
Mark, Michie & Luce Offline

Loc: Mersea Island, England
To royandreno,

I read your reply with great interest. We only got home half an hour ago having waited for the RAF carrier to land bringing Luce home. To all concerned she's alright but needs a good couple of weeks breathing space. At the moment she also needs a very big meal as I'm sure she's lost a couple of pounds.

Your comments about GWB and Iraq I can only agree with. This war against terror is, in my book, a)totally stupid even after 9/11 and b)from the position of US personel totally ka-ka. I doubt that either Churchill or Roosevelt would have got involved in such affairs. I admit, they had Hitler to deal with but then he was out there murduring millions of another race because, in his rather lunatic mind, they were evil incarnate. I know that Suddam was responsible for similar crimes, but not to that scale.

At the start of WW1, the so called 'War To End All Wars' the population were told to expect peace for all time. Well, sucks to that and WW2. What we've ended up with is, following WW2, four more great wars I can think of, Korea, Vietnam, the Falklands and Iraq. So much for peace for all time.

Some of you, replublican mainly, will disagree with the above. But just take a minute to stop and think about the 'state' of world affairs. Even Nixon giving his speech of resignation couldn't have forseen this way of the world.

Peace and hope to you all,

Michie

[This message has been edited by Mark, Michie & Luce (edited 01-21-2005).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online