SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#81195 - 10/18/07 01:43 PM Let's appreciate the differences...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Looks like not too many people come to the Bar anymore, but this is something I wanted to discuss for a long time, and this is where it belongs.

Problems that surface periodically are the result of individual differences and egos.

Sometimes, those differences can be good.
On my first contact (via his posts), I thought UD was pretty overbearing. I'm as put off at calling jobs "shows" as he is calling jobs "gigs". We're different. I'm a "gigging" musician. But he has come to be one of my treasured lifetime friends. He always shows great compassion, was a terrific help to me personally when a friend died recently, and I would trust him on any business deal, with no questions asked. His 24 hour visit to "Redneck Russ" will always be treasured.

I really don't like country music, but Don Mason is a master at the vocals and playing steel guitar lead lines. On top of that, he's one of the great gentlemen of the world.
He and I have done a significant amount of business together, and he has done multiple favors; no questions asked. He's the kind of friend I really appreciate and trust completely. I really appreciate his "old school" integrity.

I'm also not a big fan of most gospel music, but Rory deserves the recognition he gets and can probably out-play my old "jazz" butt with one hand. He's a real pro, and I appreciate knowing him and admire his commitment to his art.

Taike is worlds away, but really tries to make a difference. He's a kind soul and a valued friend.He helps me see the world in a different light.

Freddy, is a delight. He knows guitars and is a first class gentleman. He's someone I would really like to visit, even though he's thousands of miles away.

Donny is occasionally a little hard to take, but Dave says he and Fran are great guys, and I believe him.

Then, there's that Austrailian host of ours. He's to be admired and appreciated for far more than keeping this forum going. As a game designer, player and guitar "nut" who, with the help of Kerry, overcame an unbelievable obsticle, he's a "class act" friend, all the way.

There are others. This is just a sample of some who are different than I, but greatly valued for their individuality.

The point is, it's the differences which make these valued acquaintences. It's easy to complain about differences (like those awful Yamaha home keyboards....joking!). Let's try to remember to appreciate how individual differences make the world a more interesting and enjoyable place.

I appreciate you...."ya bunch of wierdo's".

Russ

#81196 - 10/18/07 01:46 PM Re: Let's appreciate the differences...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Back atcha, Cap'n ...
t.

#81197 - 10/18/07 04:44 PM Re: Let's appreciate the differences...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Wise, welcome words from a "not so" old sage ! Got nothin' but love for ya, you ole redneck !

#81198 - 10/18/07 05:08 PM Re: Let's appreciate the differences...
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Hello Russ,
Thank you very much for the great compliment, I think you have proven to be a true gentleman yourselve!

I agree fully with your wise post and would say Amen to that.

Somehow some members cannot agree that they disagree, which is the result of being different, sometimes amusing sometimes annoying. I love them all

If you do come to the Netherlands we certainly will meet. But a bit depending of the situation next year, I might come with my family to the usa in the summer with a sort of roundtrip vacation, so who knows

Fred

#81199 - 10/18/07 08:32 PM Re: Let's appreciate the differences...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Russ, stated like the true statesman you are!! All the best to you. BTW, have you unpacked the G70 yet?

#81200 - 10/18/07 08:47 PM Re: Let's appreciate the differences...
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Wise words indeed, Russ. I can't think why you chose the bar in which to make your statement, I'm sure it would do a greater good in the main forum.

There are so many class acts on here and for me to single out individuals would do an injustice to those whose names were inadvertently left out. God bless the whole gang.

#81201 - 10/18/07 09:37 PM Re: Let's appreciate the differences...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Russ, you're the best! Spend a week down here in Louisiana and you'll be singin' Willie Nelson songs all night long!
Dave is right, DNJ and Fran are good guys. They just get full of crap sometimes and have to let it out!
There are so many great people here I couldn't start to single them out. Why Tony W even sent me a Christmas present from England one year, and he KNOWS I'm straight!
DonM

#81202 - 10/19/07 01:16 AM Re: Let's appreciate the differences...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
We all love you Russ. You are also one of the resident personalities that make this such a wonderful place. You always encourage other members and have such diverse experience in playing music on keys and guitars. Your wisdom and understanding rubs off on everyone that knows you. I truly value being your friend.

And I totally agree with you. It is the mix of such a variety of personalities that makes life here on the forums so enriching and stimulating. I wouldn't want it to be any other way.

#81203 - 10/19/07 07:20 AM Re: Let's appreciate the differences...
captain Russ Offline

Steve, sadly, the G 70, Sh 201, GW-7, Midjay plus cases, foot pedals, etc. have not been touched. I'm anxious to get to it, but taking care of Janice the widow of my friend who recently passed away has taken priority.

Renig, you're right. If I had made a real list, you'd have been on it for sure, plus others. I just thought that the topic wasn't really about arrangers, wasn't really useful advice, and didn't want to take up General Arranger space with my rambling opinions.

People I've enjoyed because of similiarities, like Chas, Bill from Dayton, Chico, Cassp, Tony(s)-both of them, and others are certainly included and valued.

I really meant what I said!

Thanks, everyone,

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 10-19-2007).]

#81204 - 10/19/07 09:54 AM Re: Let's appreciate the differences...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Russ, if we were running a "class act" competition here, you'd blow out the competition (sorry, Nigel; being site administrator makes you inelgible ). On the other hand, if we changed it to "no-class", the competition would be fierce (I know I'd probably be there at the finish line). But as you noted, it's the differences between us, combined with our love for arranger keyboards (some more than others), and music in general, that brings us together in this sometimes controversial, but always interesting, forum.

Hopefully, one of these days, all of us will figure out how you manage to express your opinions honestly and still manage to stay above the fray. An admirable trait, for sure. I'm sure that being a nice guy to begin with, helps.

chas

#81205 - 10/19/07 11:36 AM Re: Let's appreciate the differences...
captain Russ Offline

Damn, Chas...it's opinions like this that made you the obvious choice for the gut bucket player for our folk group. Repeat after me...."four strong winds...." La, LA, LA, etc.
You probably already guessed it, but I'm not much of a fan of arrangers, and use them only when absolutely necessary. Good tools, but would prefer to do things a different way. Sadly, sometimes using the arranger is the only thing that works from a budget standpoint. My attitude is to use it when necessary, but keep things in prospective, and, for me, that means playing with other players with the same philosophy as often as possible. That interaction is where my satisfaction comes from. You and I aren't big arranger fans; others think that they are the real answer to success in the music business.
Whatever works. Honest opinions stated with the understanding that the opinion is right for the individual. Differences of opinion are just that; nothing more.

Man, you ought to hear UD play Rocky Top on that cherry Bontempi he "stole" from me!

Stay well, friend,

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 10-19-2007).]

#81206 - 10/19/07 06:53 PM Re: Let's appreciate the differences...
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Damn, you ought to hear UD play Rocky Top on that cherry Bontempi he "stole" from me!

I didn't steal it ... you helped me load it into my truck !
Boy, oh boy .... wouldn't a nice D6 look SOoooo good on top....

#81207 - 10/20/07 10:40 AM Re: Let's appreciate the differences...
Uncle Dave Offline

...and a digital Hammond off to one side .. Ahhhhhh ( I can dream, can't I? )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online