SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#79564 - 11/14/05 02:18 PM Just played my first nursing home...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Saturday, I played my first nursing home, and I'm going to keep doing it!

I have been the primary caretaker of my father and mother-in-law for 11 years. She died last year, and Doc has been in a succession of places...moving as his condition (Alzheimers and heart problems) got worse. Six months ago, he had to leave an Alzheimer's center, because he became too weak to make it to the dining room on his own. The only place that could take him in the short term was awful...verbal abuse of patients...neglect...bed sores...excessive use of pharmaceuticals to avoid caring for them...a TERRRIBLE place. We got him into a GREAT place as soon as space became available, but while he was there, I became close to 4 patients, all in terrible shape. One is a young girl with advanced MD named Lachanda. She is always looking out for all patients, calling authorities and families when something wasn't right...a real sweet kid. She can't even sit up on her own, feed herself, etc., but still checks with the school on how her 11 year old daughter is doing and helps with her homework on week-ends.

Recently, she had a hysterectomy, which was very dangerous, given her condition. She was scared to death. I told her that when she returned (there was a real chance that she wouldn't survive), we'd have a party and that I would come play just for her. I had never played at a nursing home or assisted living facility before.

The whole place turned out. This is a "bottom feeder" low end place, always on probation with state authorities. Lachanda cried, and a great time was had by all residents.

Today, I agreed to rotate between 8 of these kinds of homes, who never pay to have entertainment. The city omnbusman is scheduling the times. On Sunday, normally my day off, I will play for brunch at a very upscale dining room at an assisted living center where Doc and his wife lived when he was in better shape, complete with (UGH!) a tux. The $100 fee will be sent directly to Hospice of the Bluegrass.

It's sad to me that, at the upscale places Doc was, there were few family member/visitors. At the low end place, where most patints were on Medicaid, many family members visit. On Tuesday each week while my grandson is taking his drum lesson, I go by the home where Lachanda, George, Mr. Brown and "Big Mamma" are to take treats and little things that make so much difference when you're so neglected and helpless.

During Christmas, the great kids (waiters, etc.) and owners at the upscale place I play regularly are going to serve a catered dinner
for my new friends on Christmas Eve..all volunteer, including the food.

I always thought that many musicians and entetainers who volunteered at nursing homes were probably not good enough to play paying jobs. Now I see that I may have been very wrong.

I just wish I had seen the light years ago.
Last week I played 5 well-paying gigs and my first free one.

Guess which one was the most satisfying?

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 11-14-2005).]

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 11-14-2005).]

#79565 - 11/14/05 02:54 PM Re: Just played my first nursing home...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Russ , you are so right....
Now if you travel by scooter..you will be a total happy camper..

#79566 - 11/14/05 04:36 PM Re: Just played my first nursing home...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Russ,

I've been performing at nursing homes, assisted living centers, and retirement communities for longer than I care to admit. And, like you, when I first began I did them for no fee. Just a few times a month, but it still took time and money for me to do those jobs.

Some were pure hell holes, places that warehoused older, sick people until the finally succumbed to their illness. I'm certain that the vast majority of the patients, even in the upscale, expensive centers, were victims of neglect. Most were mediocre at best, and only a scant few could be placed in the good category. NONE could be considered excellent.

All of this began to change a few years ago when thousands of law suits were filed by family members against the nursing homes. In most instances, the suits were won by the plaintiffs, especially after photo after photo was presented as evidence. Since then, a new state agency was formed, one that made surprise, unannounced inspections of each facility, noted the descrepencies, and put the facility on notice that it would lose its license to operate unless problems were quickly corrected. While most of the centers scoffed at the notices, their undivided attention was garnered when one of the largest nursing homes was told they had 30 days to clean up their act or they would be shut down at the end of the month.

Keep in mind that most of these places receive $3,500 to $7,500 per month for each patient, and this does not include the cost of medications or additional medical care--it's just the fee for room and board. That's one hell of a lot of money to loose, especially when you multiply this times 300 patients.

Nearly all of the nursing homes, assisted living centers, independant living centers and other similar facilities have entertainment budgets here. The avarege pay rate is $75 to $100 for a one-hour performance, and double that on holidays. That is how a lot of us now make our living, performing at these types of centers. While I applaud you for performing at no charge, and I'm sure your audiences love each and every moment, you should consider charging the facility at least $100 per performance. Some will claim they do no have an entertainment budget, but if you do a little investigation, you will find most states require some form of entertainment as part of the patient's therapy in order to retain their license to operate.

Keep up the good work,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#79567 - 11/15/05 07:19 AM Re: Just played my first nursing home...

Hi, Gary

Here in Lexington, there are lots of upscale nursing homes and assisted living centers
who have entertainment budgets, and I have been asked many times to work there.When I get a call, I refer one of my friends.

I have obligations for my regular clients, so I can't go into that part of the market, but I can volunteer Saturday afternoon from 3:00-4:00 and have plenty of time for my 6:00 job. Sundays, I'll use the Yamaha grand at the upscale place, so the time commitment will be minimal (no set-up). This way, I'll be donating $5,000 per year to Hospice and 100 hours to very sick folks who really have few options.

Several of my friends play nursing homes regularly and enjoy it. In the 11 years I have been a daily caretaker, I've learned a lot about nursing homes, the laws and regulations and have been in contact with the State Attorney General's office and local regulators numerous times. I'm a pretty hard line jazz player, so I wouldn't choose to play the material appropriate for nursing homes and assisted living facilities
for personal enjoyment and money.

The local director of senior citizens services knows what places don't provide paid entertainment, and the 8 places I'll go to don't.

This is just something I want to do.

Russ

#79568 - 11/15/05 07:59 AM Re: Just played my first nursing home...
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Russ, My mom has been in an assisted living center for a year and a half now. They take very good care of her. I have no complaints. I play there once a month free of charge.

I have started playing other senior centers and nursing homes. For these I do charge. I get 75 dollars for an hour show. My time is valuable, I could be spending it with my wife or grandchildren. There is the expense of gas and vehicle maintainence and equipment costs etc.

There are many volunteers who also play these places and it is fine with me that they bring a little joy to the residents. If they want to play for free that's fine. It is just that with the exception on mom's place I won't.

It is different for me because I'm not making my living as a musician. If I were I probably would begrudge those that play for free.

Tom

Tom

#79569 - 11/15/05 08:44 AM Re: Just played my first nursing home...
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Russ...and to all of you who play, donate your time and talent to those of us that have to be in places like this, GOD BLESS you one and all it don't matter if you charge or play for free, it all helps a little more to make life bareable to the folks who have paid their dues for years....
Tony Rome

#79570 - 11/15/05 12:40 PM Re: Just played my first nursing home...

Gary and Tom...

I just returned from a tour of the 8 places I'll rotate. They're AWFUL!

I verified that none of them pay anyone for entertainment. They're all in parts of town that most people avoid, and rarely have visitors.

If there was ANY chance that any of these places paid for entertainment, I wouldn't take a paying job from others.

As it is, I'll play 4 nights for compensation ($150-$400 per night) and my two "freebies".

The "freebies" will just make me feel like I'm doing the right thing. If I hadn't met Lachanda and the others at the home Doc was in I wouldn't be doing it.

As of now, I'm not interested in playing upscale homes for compensation, with the exception of the Sunday nite one. That $100.00 per night is my donation to Hospice.

Damn, I'm getting soft in my old age!

Russ

#79571 - 11/15/05 01:35 PM Re: Just played my first nursing home...
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Good For you "you ol'e man"...hehehe
Tony Rome

#79572 - 11/16/05 11:28 AM Re: Just played my first nursing home...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Russ, you are a true gentlemen!!

#79573 - 11/17/05 07:56 AM Re: Just played my first nursing home...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Here's the direct link to my "nursing home page". I haven't updated it in a couple of years, but the info is still there. http://donnymason.tripod.com/hayridesunshineshow/index.html
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online