SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#79037 - 01/25/10 08:08 AM Need help - Tyros 2/3 versus PA800/PA2X
soak Offline

Hello all,

I am a newbie to this forum. I am not sure whether to post this question in General Arranger or Yamaha arranger or Korg Arranger - so if this is in the wrong section - please pardon me.

I currently have a Korg iS35 and am looking to upgrade. I am struggling between choosing a Tyros 2/3 versus a Korg PA800/PA2X.

I play Indian style music which involves instruments ( mostly drums - like tabla/dholak etc) that are not native to either of these arrangers. I use an external (Roland JV80) sound module currently (which has excellent sounds (on a Asia card).

Also the styles required are not native to these arrangers either (I'm sure I can buy third party stuff - but....)

I was wondering if you guys could comment on this issue based on the following :

1) I need to be able to send (MIDI) only the Drums (and may be percussion) from the arranger autoaccompaniment (style) to the external sound module (so I can use tabla from the Roland) - while playing the other accompaniment tracks as well as LOWER/UPPER etc from arranger. From what I have read - this is easily (?) doable on the Korg, but you have to go through hoops on the Tyros (?)

2) I need to be able to create (Indian type)styles either by modifying existing ones or starting from scratch. I think both arrangers (T2/T3 as well as the Korgs) allow this - but I'd appreciate any feedback from you experts whether one is easier than the other.

I have read a ton of stuff on both these arrangers - both seem phenomenal - and I can't make up my mind - and would really appreciate any help from you guys.

Thanks

#79038 - 01/25/10 09:45 AM Re: Need help - Tyros 2/3 versus PA800/PA2X
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Between the two makes T2/T3 & Korg. The PA2X has far more in depth editing facilities. Both are excellent boards but if you are into style creation then Korg could be your choice.
The Tyros does benefit having more 3rd party style support.

#79039 - 01/25/10 09:52 AM Re: Need help - Tyros 2/3 versus PA800/PA2X
soak Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
Between the two makes T2/T3 & Korg. The PA2X has far more in depth editing facilities. Both are excellent boards but if you are into style creation then Korg could be your choice.
The Tyros does benefit having more 3rd party style support.

Hi Graham

Thanks for responding. What do you think about the first question - re send drums (from style via MIDI) to external sound module ? Cna it be done on teh T2/T3 ?

Also re styles - do you think I would benefit by having some software like EMC Styleworks or is the inetrface on the Korg easy enough (with some effort of course) ?

Thanks

#79040 - 01/26/10 01:13 PM Re: Need help - Tyros 2/3 versus PA800/PA2X
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Soak,
I have a korg pa800 and an old yamaha psr1500.
I don't think the midi & controller functions differ much ( if at all ) between the t2 and my psr1500.
I found trying to connect my sd2 sound module to my psr a nightmare. I couldn't send the correct bank & program change numbers. Mind you, the sd2 doesn't have any buttons of it's own, so I was dependant on my keyboard sending out the bank & program changes.
The Korg PA800 worked perfectly as a midi controller & was able to send the bank & program changes to the sd2. Parts could be set to play internally, externally or both.
I haven't done it in a while, my sd2 got corrupted during a system update & I haven't gotten round to getting it repaired

As for style editing, the pa800 ( pa2x) is brilliant. Internal & User styles can be totally edited onboard. Even list editing of all style tracks, copying of tracks or complete style parts. Pads can be copied into style tracks & vice versa.
A complete style can be saved as a midifile.
Exported into a sequencer for editing, then be Imported back in, should one choose to use pc software.
Style availability for Indian styles, I really don't know what's available in the way of 3rd party styles.
Check out the Korg Forum http://korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=50

Maybe someone can help .

I think there is some sort of oriental PA500 available. Don't know anything about it. There are some differences between PA800 & PA500's. PA500's don't have a sampler & I think they have less polyphony.
Some other minor differences also, there is a comparison list on Korg Website.

best wishes
Rikki

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 01-26-2010).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#79041 - 01/26/10 01:29 PM Re: Need help - Tyros 2/3 versus PA800/PA2X
soak Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Soak,
I have a korg pa800 and an old yamaha psr1500.
I don't think the midi & controller functions differ much ( if at all ) between the t2 and my psr1500.
I found trying to connect my sd2 sound module to my psr a nightmare. I couldn't send the correct bank & program change numbers. Mind you, the sd2 doesn't have any buttons of it's own, so I was dependant on my keyboard sending out the bank & program changes.
The Korg PA800 worked perfectly as a midi controller & was able to send the bank & program changes to the sd2. Parts could be set to play internally, externally or both.
I haven't done it in a while, my sd2 got corrupted during a system update & I haven't gotten round to getting it repaired

As for style editing, the pa800 ( pa2x) is brilliant. Internal & User styles can be totally edited onboard. Even list editing of all style tracks, copying of tracks or complete style parts. Pads can be copied into style tracks & vice versa.
A complete style can be saved as a midifile.
Exported into a sequencer for editing, then be Imported back in, should one choose to use pc software.
Style availability for Indian styles, I really don't know what's available in the way of 3rd party styles.
Check out the Korg Forum http://korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=50

Maybe someone can help .

I think there is some sort of oriental PA500 available. Don't know anything about it. There are some differences between PA800 & PA500's. PA500's don't have a sampler & I think they have less polyphony.
Some other minor differences also, there is a comparison list on Korg Website.

best wishes
Rikki

Wow - Thanks for such a comprehensive answer. I really appreciate it. I think the choice (for my needs) is clear - Korg PA800 over T2/T3.

One last question - if I may - Do you think I would benefit from having Styleworks from EMC - or do you think the style editing/manipulating capabilities on the PA800 are good enough ?

Thanks

#79042 - 01/27/10 12:20 AM Re: Need help - Tyros 2/3 versus PA800/PA2X
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Soak,
the only benefit in owning EMC Style conversion software, would be if you intend to convert styles from another brand of keyboard. Might be a tad risky converting from just, say Roland to Korg because of the drumkits & sounds involved with oriental styles.
Most keyboards have similar western type drums & sounds, but may not be the case with ethnic kits etc.
Even then styles still require editing.

Download yourself a manual, there are usually tables at the back which give you a list of sounds & drum sounds. http://www.korgpa.com/pa_root/en/products/pa800_man.html?en

Also have a look at the style creation section. It's amazing what you can do onboard.

If you're wanting EMC as some sort of a style editor, then no, I wouldn't bother.
It's main function is converting styles.

If you don't own some sort of PC sequencing software, then, that might be worth getting down the track. Everthing you should need is onboard , but sometimes it's just a bit easier on a PC screen with all the style tracks in front of you.

I use a couple of sequencers
XG Works ( no longer made, I use it for converting my Yamaha styles) & no, it's not conversion software.

PG's Powertracks 12 , quite inexpensive & does everything I need.

Main thing is to decide which keyboard you want.
If you go for a Korg, check the specs via the site above.

As for Indian styles, maybe ask on the forum as to what may be available.
They're not a type of style I use myself.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by soak:
Wow - Thanks for such a comprehensive answer. I really appreciate it. I think the choice (for my needs) is clear - Korg PA800 over T2/T3.

One last question - if I may - Do you think I would benefit from having Styleworks from EMC - or do you think the style editing/manipulating capabilities on the PA800 are good enough ?

Thanks

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online