SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#7704 - 07/01/03 09:46 AM Re: Going the AKAI route
Anonymous
Unregistered

That was one thing I noticed, is that AKAI has perdominatly been manufactureing samplers and sampler/drum machines in rack mount and table top versions. The have not made synthesizers since the AX-60 or keyboard synths since the KB1000. Even today they are still produceing samplers and even moving into the software market with software samplers. It's as if they are dominateing the sampler market.

I wonder why they stoped produceing keybaord samplers and synthesizers? Someone told me that keyboards in general do not sell well, and don't make a lot of money. The only three major companies to succeed in this area are KORG, ROLAND and YAMAHA. Although companies such as E-mu, Kurzwiel, Clava and Wladorf are doing farily well in the keyboard market. Though they may not sell like the Big Three.

#7705 - 07/03/03 04:23 AM Re: Going the AKAI route
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey 800dv I have a question? I just won an AKAI AX-60 off ebay for $226.00, and wanted too know if there was anything I should be made aware of concerning this synth? I know to hit the auto tune button too make sure the oscillators are in tune since this synth uses VCO's. Do they drift out of tune much? Any info you have that might help me get the most out of this synth would be greatly appericated?

This time I stayed inside ebay and used a Credit Card for my pruchase. The item is in the USA comming from Philadelphia PA.

#7706 - 07/03/03 10:53 AM Re: Going the AKAI route
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
If it's not used a long time, you probably will need to spray all pots and contacts.

That's all I ever had to do a shortwhile ago.
Which is pretty good as I am the first owner since 1984/85 . (not sure about the exact date, will have to look on the invoice)

The S612 never needed any maintanance.

The md280 is still ok, but all the disks are
at the end of their life..

#7707 - 07/03/03 07:21 PM Re: Going the AKAI route
epu Offline

With the possibility of getting flamed on - Why would you waste your hard earned money on this crap when there is so much better, more versatile, easily repairable, more supportable equipment BY AKAI on the market?!

I'm not talking about the lastest Z4 or MPC4000 either. Want a sampler, why not get an S2000. You can expand it to 32MB, add effects and control it by computer, and you can add each option as you get more money in your budget.

Too many companies produce sample CDs for it, sound disks, etc. It can use Zip media and Floppy. So many outlets will repair them , and its one of the AKAIs which make use of the universal S1000 format.

With almost no support, the possibility of disk drive faliure and the use of HARD TO FIND quick disks and 720KB floppys, why bother? I could understand the use of the X60 or 80, but why set yourself up for possible faliure and almost impossible/ultra expensive repairs?!

The Infamous Epu.

#7708 - 07/03/03 08:56 PM Re: Going the AKAI route
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
I have never had any problems with my AX-60 . I just hope the person packs it well . They are pretty reliable and they stay in tune . If it does have dirt pots , spray them with a NON residue cleaner .

I don't use samplers that much EPU . I absolutely do not use sample CDs , I make all of my own sounds . I still use my S-612 because I will not buy anything that has no real time controls . I will NOT bore myself with program windows .

#7709 - 07/03/03 10:23 PM Re: Going the AKAI route
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes he is having it professionaly packed and shipped via UPS ground.

#7710 - 07/04/03 06:08 AM Re: Going the AKAI route
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a few more questions? How good is the MIDI on the AX-60? Where can I find the 13 pin DIN cabel if I want to get an S612 sampler to hook up too it? And what other akai samplers can be processed through the AX60? And if need be where can I find a copy of the AX60 factory presets on cassette tape. Kid Nepro does not carry patches for the AX-60? Also are there any mailing lists of AX-60 users? What about some of the other AKAI gear, are there any other recomendations?

#7711 - 07/04/03 11:42 AM Re: Going the AKAI route
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul-61:
I have a few more questions? How good is the MIDI on the AX-60? Where can I find the 13 pin DIN cabel if I want to get an S612 sampler to hook up too it? And what other akai samplers can be processed through the AX60? And if need be where can I find a copy of the AX60 factory presets on cassette tape. Kid Nepro does not carry patches for the AX-60? Also are there any mailing lists of AX-60 users? What about some of the other AKAI gear, are there any other recomendations?

I can answer a few;
midi - sends sysx - manual midi select channel 1 - 10 (10 channels) but sends and receives only on one selected channel.
(which sometimes is very pleasant)
The pre-sets can be used for rack gear, but have a maximum of 88 pre-sets.
It does work allthough very basic as a controller. (no bank selects)

13 pin cable.
This one I discovered by accidence by using the "wrong cable" . the 13 pin roland cable used on the Roland gkII-A guitar midi pick up works nicely.
Apparantly it's the same.

As long as a sampler has midi any sampler can be used thru the midi in/outs, but I think the 13 pin connection is exclusive for the S612.

No idea about factory pre-sets...never needed them as I edited most presets to my satisfaction.
There might be reset possibillity.
If I can find the manual I will take a look.

fred

#7712 - 07/04/03 12:15 PM Re: Going the AKAI route
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Fred!

#7713 - 07/05/03 09:04 AM Re: Going the AKAI route
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
Also check the Akai links at the Synthzone home page . There are a few sites just for the AX-60 and S-612 .
In the mean time make a cassette copy of the programs you have now on the AX-60 so you will always have something to load into it should you need to .

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online