Going the AKAI route

Posted by: Anonymous

Going the AKAI route - 06/28/03 12:07 PM

I am considering going the akai route for buying some of my gear. Like the AX60 for starters. Then maybe add a sampler, and effects units, and even a drum machine.

Even though AKAI is no longer produceing musical instruments. I feel that they had produced some very good equipment. With the expection of the S612 and AX7000 samplers. Both of which used quick disks and had limited memory. Although I may get an s612 for posterity because it went with the ax60. But not as a useful sampler. AKAI made better ones.
Posted by: 800dv

Re: Going the AKAI route - 06/28/03 04:54 PM

The AX-60 is an awesome synthesizer . So is the AX-80 .
Posted by: freddynl

Re: Going the AKAI route - 06/29/03 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 800dv:
The AX-60 is an awesome synthesizer . So is the AX-80 .

Agreed.
And add the S612 to it in combination with the ax60, as allthough very limited with sample memory (max 8 secs) the limitation is it's strength as well.
1. very easy to work with
2. due to the time limit sampled sounds sound very natural,(no endless lasting tones)and you can trigger them with ax60 wheels.

In fact I had the complete set for sale a while ago (ax60+S612) but after cleaning the dust from them and after cleaning all contacts in the ax60, the test on the working condition decided me to keep them

Re: Going the AKAI route - 06/29/03 06:05 AM

Oh good! I am glad you guys agree with me in getting an AX-60. I remember a dealer had recomended one too me but I did not have the money at the time too buy one. I have a bid on one on ebay at the moment so I am hoping to win it. Yea, I was thinking about getting the S612. Also I may get a bigger sampler at some point.

Re: Going the AKAI route - 06/29/03 08:23 AM

I like the S-612 too . It's simple to use , all real time controls , and NO program windows . It may have limited memory but that is fine with me . My Emulator I has only 128k of memory and I still love it .

Re: Going the AKAI route - 06/29/03 08:47 AM

Do you have the Disk Drive too go with the S612? I know it uses those 2.8 quick disks. Or do you just use the sampler?

Someone told me too stay away from those things, and that you can not buy anymore.

Re: Going the AKAI route - 06/29/03 10:51 AM

I do have the disk drive ( MD-280 ) . Here in Georgia we have a place called Micro-Center and I get my disks there . Plus there are plenty of places online to get Quickdisks . You can use the 2.8" disks for Smith Corona type writers and word processors . Micro Center even has the 5 1/4" disks for my Emulator . The one here even has the big 8" disks for anyone who has an early Fairlight CMI .

Re: Going the AKAI route - 06/29/03 06:27 PM

What about some of the other synths and samplers like the X7000 and the s950, MPC3000, or the AX-73? or the s1000?

I noticed AKAI produced and still does alot of samplers mostly rack mount and a few table top/drum samplers as well. But not a lot of synths and keyboards.

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/01/03 06:03 AM

I got a chance too listen too the S612. You know for a cheap low grade sampler, it really does not sound all that bad. But finding one is hard and finding the MD280 is next too imposiible. I was lucky enough too find an AX60,on ebay. Also found an AX80.

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/01/03 08:20 AM

The X-7000 has more memory and a few other features that the S-612 does not have . The AX-73 is a single oscillator poly synth . It's similar in sound to the AX-60 . The S-900 and S-950 is when Akai really started to make a name for themselves in samplers .

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/01/03 09:46 AM

That was one thing I noticed, is that AKAI has perdominatly been manufactureing samplers and sampler/drum machines in rack mount and table top versions. The have not made synthesizers since the AX-60 or keyboard synths since the KB1000. Even today they are still produceing samplers and even moving into the software market with software samplers. It's as if they are dominateing the sampler market.

I wonder why they stoped produceing keybaord samplers and synthesizers? Someone told me that keyboards in general do not sell well, and don't make a lot of money. The only three major companies to succeed in this area are KORG, ROLAND and YAMAHA. Although companies such as E-mu, Kurzwiel, Clava and Wladorf are doing farily well in the keyboard market. Though they may not sell like the Big Three.

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/03/03 04:23 AM

Hey 800dv I have a question? I just won an AKAI AX-60 off ebay for $226.00, and wanted too know if there was anything I should be made aware of concerning this synth? I know to hit the auto tune button too make sure the oscillators are in tune since this synth uses VCO's. Do they drift out of tune much? Any info you have that might help me get the most out of this synth would be greatly appericated?

This time I stayed inside ebay and used a Credit Card for my pruchase. The item is in the USA comming from Philadelphia PA.

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/03/03 10:53 AM

If it's not used a long time, you probably will need to spray all pots and contacts.

That's all I ever had to do a shortwhile ago.
Which is pretty good as I am the first owner since 1984/85 . (not sure about the exact date, will have to look on the invoice)

The S612 never needed any maintanance.

The md280 is still ok, but all the disks are
at the end of their life..
Posted by: epu

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/03/03 07:21 PM

With the possibility of getting flamed on - Why would you waste your hard earned money on this crap when there is so much better, more versatile, easily repairable, more supportable equipment BY AKAI on the market?!

I'm not talking about the lastest Z4 or MPC4000 either. Want a sampler, why not get an S2000. You can expand it to 32MB, add effects and control it by computer, and you can add each option as you get more money in your budget.

Too many companies produce sample CDs for it, sound disks, etc. It can use Zip media and Floppy. So many outlets will repair them , and its one of the AKAIs which make use of the universal S1000 format.

With almost no support, the possibility of disk drive faliure and the use of HARD TO FIND quick disks and 720KB floppys, why bother? I could understand the use of the X60 or 80, but why set yourself up for possible faliure and almost impossible/ultra expensive repairs?!

The Infamous Epu.

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/03/03 08:56 PM

I have never had any problems with my AX-60 . I just hope the person packs it well . They are pretty reliable and they stay in tune . If it does have dirt pots , spray them with a NON residue cleaner .

I don't use samplers that much EPU . I absolutely do not use sample CDs , I make all of my own sounds . I still use my S-612 because I will not buy anything that has no real time controls . I will NOT bore myself with program windows .

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/03/03 10:23 PM

Yes he is having it professionaly packed and shipped via UPS ground.

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/04/03 06:08 AM

I have a few more questions? How good is the MIDI on the AX-60? Where can I find the 13 pin DIN cabel if I want to get an S612 sampler to hook up too it? And what other akai samplers can be processed through the AX60? And if need be where can I find a copy of the AX60 factory presets on cassette tape. Kid Nepro does not carry patches for the AX-60? Also are there any mailing lists of AX-60 users? What about some of the other AKAI gear, are there any other recomendations?

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/04/03 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul-61:
I have a few more questions? How good is the MIDI on the AX-60? Where can I find the 13 pin DIN cabel if I want to get an S612 sampler to hook up too it? And what other akai samplers can be processed through the AX60? And if need be where can I find a copy of the AX60 factory presets on cassette tape. Kid Nepro does not carry patches for the AX-60? Also are there any mailing lists of AX-60 users? What about some of the other AKAI gear, are there any other recomendations?

I can answer a few;
midi - sends sysx - manual midi select channel 1 - 10 (10 channels) but sends and receives only on one selected channel.
(which sometimes is very pleasant)
The pre-sets can be used for rack gear, but have a maximum of 88 pre-sets.
It does work allthough very basic as a controller. (no bank selects)

13 pin cable.
This one I discovered by accidence by using the "wrong cable" . the 13 pin roland cable used on the Roland gkII-A guitar midi pick up works nicely.
Apparantly it's the same.

As long as a sampler has midi any sampler can be used thru the midi in/outs, but I think the 13 pin connection is exclusive for the S612.

No idea about factory pre-sets...never needed them as I edited most presets to my satisfaction.
There might be reset possibillity.
If I can find the manual I will take a look.

fred

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/04/03 12:15 PM

Thanks Fred!

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/05/03 09:04 AM

Also check the Akai links at the Synthzone home page . There are a few sites just for the AX-60 and S-612 .
In the mean time make a cassette copy of the programs you have now on the AX-60 so you will always have something to load into it should you need to .

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/05/03 11:07 AM

Thank you 800dv, now I am just waiting for it too be shipped. I will let you know when it arrives.

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/05/03 11:09 AM

Thanks 800dv! Now I am just waiting for it too arive.

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/15/03 08:55 PM

My AX60 arrived today! Large cheer! Anyway this is a cool sounding synth and I will plan to get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Need to clean it up and re-glue a plastic end panel. Other then that it is fine. I may look for some black paint for metal to cover up the scratches. Well anyway just wanted to let you know it was here.

PEACE!

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/15/03 09:24 PM

Excellent !

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/16/03 01:16 PM

Can I use this synth to control say NI's Absynth? Or is the MIDI on the AX-60 too limited? I just want to use it to play the Absynth.

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/16/03 07:51 PM

Yeah you can use it to control Absynth . The keys , the pitch bend and Mod controls can also be used .

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/16/03 08:25 PM

Oh cool! Thank you 800DV!
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/16/03 08:57 PM

One thing you can do with synths that save to cassette is plug the cassette output into the sound card on your PC and record it as audio data into a file. You can then play this back into the cassette input on your keyboard. You may have to experiment a little with this to get the right level that your keyboard will accept but it can work. Just make sure you have a cassette backup first in case something screws up and you need to restore the presets. The advantage of this is that you have a backup stored on your PC for the future.

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/17/03 05:35 AM

Thanks Nigel that's good too know. Now if I could just find a cassette of the orginal sounds in the AX-60.

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/18/03 06:55 AM

Well I downloaded a demo version of absynth, and I was unable too use the AX60 with it. Apprarently you need a specfic MIDI controller too use it.

I wish there were software for older keyboards that would run in a windows enviornment. Although I doubt there would be too many people interested in it.

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/18/03 08:03 AM

That doesn't sound right . I can use my Poly-800 with Absynth , even my Prophet 600 . At the bear minimum you should be able to play it using the AX-60 . You don't really need a factory sound cassette , just make a copy of the programs you have now . That way you will have something to fall back on to when you have to change the battery .

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/18/03 11:09 AM

Maybe I have it hooked up too my computer wrong? Or is there something I have too do in the software? I have the cables conected to my computer through the Joysitck port on the back of my PC, and too the proper ports on my AX60. Is there something else I should be doing?

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/18/03 10:19 PM

It does sound like you do not have the Absynth set up to receive midi . If the AX-60 is sending on Channel 1 and Absynth is receiving on channel one , then it should work . Unless you're midi set up is not working correctly ( i.e. - midi from the AX-60 is not making it into the computer and into the control of the software . There should be a Midi control panel with Absynth , open it and see if it even sees you're midi interface .

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/19/03 06:13 AM

I think I may be lacking a crucial part in this system. The MIDI controler panel was not helpful. I have no way of knowing whether Absynth detects the AX60 or not. Plus I don't have a MIDI card in my computer, just the sound card that is in there. I think it is only set up too use either a Roland MPU-401 or the Dream Station MIDI out. As MIDI controlers.

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/19/03 08:28 AM

Well 800dv I found out why the AX60 is not working with the absynth, it's because my computer is not set up too work with the AX-60. Mine will only work with the Crystal Wave synth or the Roland MPU-401 or the Dream Station. I am afraid my computer is too new and the synth is too old. I wish I had know this before I bought the AX-60. Oh well live and learn.

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/19/03 09:50 AM

That makes no sense . Midi has a protocol that is universal , as far as using a keyboard control to control another module or software , it's all universal . The soundblaster might be limited because it's really only for games . It's not a pro card . You can get an AUDIOPHILE 2496 card which has Audio and Midi for less than $150.00 . That is a pro card and will work with any midi synthesizer like it should . Plus the card will handle you're audio far better than a soundblaster would . As far as midi info of a key being pressed , it's the same info from a Prophet 600 ( the first midi synth ) to a Roland Fantom ( one of the latest ) . The soundblaster is a multimedia card for games and it's very limited on audio and the type of midi setup it uses , because midi is not that important for games . The best thing to do is to remove it and the driver , and replace it with a pro level card . Or you can get the Midiman Oxygene 8 which is a keyboard controller with knobs and a USB midi interface for less than $140.00 .

Re: Going the AKAI route - 07/19/03 12:02 PM

Okay! That makes more sense, to buy a MIDI card and maybe the Oxygen 8, but I will have too wait on that for a while since I just spent money on my AX60. Also I am trying to save up for a new laptop computer at some point that will be use mainly for muisc. With a pro MIDI card, and Media software. MSN now has an operating system software for just music. MIDI MP3 wav and Media Player but still has Internet and IM.