SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#7621 - 08/30/06 08:53 PM For All...
Mark & Rachael Offline

Loc: Merfsea Island, Essex, United ...
I don't know that this is a suitable subject but I'd like to speak, in Rachael's absence, on behalf of all MIDI users.

A lot of you, myself in the past, had use of keyboards / synths with programs for automated rhythms and sound patterns. Well, having gone back to the basics of MIDI, there really is a whole new world out there. If we can listen to a piece or, even better, look at a score, there's a hell of a lot more to experience.

I've just completed a 'beginner's' score for O Danny Boy which only had the treble clef so I 'investigated' and found a suitable backing minus any percussion. This, I think, makes me an arranger of sorts, but not an expert. MIDI seems to give a freedom in music which other keyboards can't offer.

Any comments, R.S.V.P.,

Mark

#7622 - 08/30/06 11:18 PM Re: For All...
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
I have always loved midi because of the ability to manipulate it eg change instruments,pitch etc.
Use it for backing my vocal solos.

Cousin Ken

#7623 - 08/31/06 08:17 AM Re: For All...
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
I wish I could MIDIfy a couple of vocalists here.

I've been using MIDI and only MIDI for music making for some twenty years now. There's just no other way to run a studio. Not much of a 'score' user due to visual disability. Event edit/List is what I've been using for the most part. To think of it most of my early works in Cubase (must've been fifteen years ago) were entered step time. Playing everything by hand and then quantizing just wasn't the same.

Never really used arranger keyboards because right out of the box that stuff seemd limited to me. My cousin used to own a Roland E-35 and that was more or less my first Arranger. Ended up being a last one.

I don't think there's anyone around here to *not* use MIDI. Running a studio full of synths naturally implies that MIDI is in use.

Glad you're having fun with it. Nothing beats MIDI.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 09-03-2006).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online