SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#7587 - 06/18/02 10:13 AM Workstation, or separate modules?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been using the Yamaha SY-99 for more than 10 years now and am now looking to invest in new equipment. Was wondering if anyone could provide some advice on the following two options, and which is better, cheaper, etc.

1. To purchase a music workstation (synthesiser and built-in sequencer) such as the Yamaha Motif.

2. To purchase a synthesiser with good sounds, and a separate external sequencer.

*Preferences - my only preferences or requirements are good acoustic sounds (especially for orchestral instruments - piano, strings, brass, wind, percussion) and also good bass sounds and a good drum kit.

Would really appreciate any advice on this. Thanks in advance.

#7588 - 06/22/02 11:36 PM Re: Workstation, or separate modules?
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
I like the workstations. Easier to bring one keyboard to a gig rather than a keyboard and a module. Plus, MIDI isn't as big an issue; I.E. the workstation sequencer is usually set up to work most effectively with its keyboard as far as midi channels corresponding with separate tracks and such. Using a sequencer and controller means getting all the parameters on each unit matched to each other. Plus you're dealing with midi cables, not a huge deal, but simplification is good if you ask me.

Other people like software sequencers and a good controller, so as to have a computer screen and easier maneuvourability with the sequencer. I guess it depends on whether you're gigging or just playing at home. I like the workstations either way.

#7589 - 06/23/02 07:52 AM Re: Workstation, or separate modules?
noisemaker Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO USA
I've got a Motif 8 which I'll never part with. It's a well rounded workstation with it's synth engine/sampler/sequencer arrangement. If you can afford it add a XV5050 or a XV3080. I use the 3080, and have a rather unlimited pallet and polyphony to go just about anywhere I want without restrictions.

Some of my stuff with this combo can be heard at: http://mp3.com/noisefuljoy

#7590 - 06/24/02 04:37 AM Re: Workstation, or separate modules?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you all for the comments. I have more or less decided on the Motif (choosing between 7 or 8).

#7591 - 06/24/02 09:54 AM Re: Workstation, or separate modules?
Stalker Offline

Loc: Germany
What are You going to do with the SY99? It's a fantastic instrument.
I think Kurzweil and Roland are producing the best acoustic and orchestra-sounds. I own a Roland XP-80 and I am very satisfied. A workstation is just great, especially when You aren't interested in MIDI too much!

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online