SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7434 - 09/08/03 07:43 PM FM addiction?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
What's everyone's take on FM?
Am I the only one here still using my DX,TX and stuff like that?
ED

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 09-09-2003).]

#7435 - 09/10/03 01:10 PM Re: FM addiction?
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
I only wish someone would explain to me what FM synthesis was.

For years I've been hearing about FM synthesis, granular synthesis, analogue synthesis and so on... but to be honest, I've not entirely sure what these terms mean.

#7436 - 09/10/03 01:48 PM Re: FM addiction?
3351 Offline

Equalizer!
Weell, if you don't know what FM synthesis is - I'll try to explain.
FM is a very mathematical form of synthesis. The simpler form of FM synthesis uses sine waves as a starting point. Those sine waves modulate one another to produce more complex waveforms. The sines are divided into groups of carriers and modulators. By changing frequency and amplitude of the modulators you re-shape the carrier waveform from a sine to something totally new. Comparing to analog, FM synthesis is a little unpredictable and non-linear, really. FM is for people, who like to use their head, or simply don't expect instant results.
If you really want to know more about FM - search the web for a DX7. Almost all the DX sites have an explanation on how FM works.
ED

#7437 - 09/10/03 04:05 PM Re: FM addiction?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
I use a couple of fm emulated sounds on my K2600.
Paul Dillen made a very nice program collection specially in kurz format.

I don't have any analoge gear left.
(only a hybrid akai ax60)

#7438 - 09/10/03 09:43 PM Re: FM addiction?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a Yamaha DX7-IIFD, but was not to big on FM syntheasis( Frequency Modulation, same as used for FM Radio) Grannular is farily new concept, but I don'think It has teken off yet. Analog on the other hand just reffers to the synthesizser made prior to 1980. Basiccly they are synths that use electrictiy instead of micro chips in digtal ones. (ex: Minimoog analog, DX7 digital)

There is also Rolands LA or Linear Algorithmic synthesis. That one I have no idea myself how that works. I think it is on the same princeaple as FM. Mathmaticlly speaking. But don't hold me to that.

Actually I own analog gear. But I am going to sell my AX-60 and Omni.

#7439 - 09/11/03 01:32 AM Re: FM addiction?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I still use a Yamaha TX802 and SY77 with AFM. The SY77 also has onboard effects which adds a new dimension to the FM patches. FM patches can be very expressive to play responding dynamically to velocity unlike most other synths.

And Roland's LA synthesis was nothing like FM. Those synths mixed digital wave sample "partials" with an analog synth circuit. The waves were very small due to the cost of memory at the time. The Roland D50 provided many hit sounds on records.

FM is very unique and when run through effects is capable of great sounds. You either like FM or you don't I guess.

#7440 - 09/11/03 08:41 AM Re: FM addiction?
tekminus Offline

I'm not too fond of FM either. I have some nice sounds on my Nords. I can tweak them and so on but I can't say I'm 100% aware of what's going on.

-tek

#7441 - 09/11/03 09:43 AM Re: FM addiction?
3351 Offline

Nigel - thanks!
It's good to hear some positive comments on FM.
I use a DX7, TX816 (fully loaded), TX81z and FS1R which takes FM to a whole new level. Can you tell me a little more about SY77? I come across those (used) all the time, but never had the guts to just go ahead and buy one. I've heard that there was something really odd about those.

Paul!
I have an L.A. synth - a Roland D50. It's a very simple form of digital sample-playback synthesis. It does not use analog filters or anything like that.
L.A. is totally digital, with digital filters, envelopes and samples. But being the "first of a kind" D-50 doesn't let you filter samples. You can only filter simple waveforms like sawtooth and square and all the typical analog waveforms.
The really interesting thing about a D-50 is the fact that is the first fully digital synth to have RingMod and PWM. L.A. sounds are all over late 80's, early 90's hit records. They are kind of thin and cold, but nevertheless characteristic and unique.
Good example is the first few episodes of StarTrek the next generation. You can here a lot of D-50 there.

Tek, Knob tweaking guys (analog kids) DON'T dig FM, Period. It's a fact.
ED

#7442 - 09/11/03 11:02 PM Re: FM addiction?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by 3351:
Can you tell me a little more about SY77? I come across those (used) all the time, but never had the guts to just go ahead and buy one. I've heard that there was something really odd about those.

There is nothing odd about the SY77. I see you also have a FS1R. I haven't used one of those but I'd imagine the Advanced FM with the extra algorithms is probably also the same in the FS1R. The SY77 is a great synth. Very much the update to the DX7II. The digital samples are very early and lores but still useful to layer with the FM voices. The SY99 is basically the same engine but adds sample memory and improved onboard FX. I would really like to pick up a FS1R myself as it sounds like the ultimate FM synth.

#7443 - 09/12/03 10:17 AM Re: FM addiction?
3351 Offline

Hi Nigel!
If you need an FS1R - THey are discontinued.
Songbird (in Ottawa) have one used. Here's a link:http://www.songbirdmusic.com/ottasp/index.asp

As for SY77....
Most guys that complained were probably not to keen on programming. One of my friends has one and he just confirmed what you said.
There's nothing odd about it.

By the way, How do you like the FM7 soft synth. I think it's the only software puppy that responds like a piece of hardware.
ED.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online